GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

PermaPaint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 01:46 PM
gs_girl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PermaPaint?

Hi all,
We finally picked up our GX470 two weeks ago. I wanted one with KDSS. Our sales guy told us we would have to pick up one with the the sports package if I wanted the KDSS option..somehow from the GX brochure I thought that KDSS was an option and I could have it without having to choose the sports package. Anyways, we finally decided to go ahead with the sports package in the end with Nav system, RSES and the works

We just love the way it drives..simply fantastic.
We shall be taking the truck in for PermaPaint with our service dealer and wanted to know if any one here had done that and what your experience was with it.

Thanks in advance,
Mel
Old 01-05-06, 04:34 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard mixed experiences but mostly bad. Here are a couple of older threads on it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/28397-what-is-perma-coating-is-it-worth-it.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/51351-permerplate-anyone.html
Old 01-05-06, 04:35 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the Simoniz system 5 done on my GX, I believe its similar to PermaPaint, both are teflon based products. I compare the paint finish on a non-Simoniz GX to mine when I went to pick up my vehicle, both were brand new vehicle, washed and wax and stored inside. The Simoniz paint sealent really fill out all the voids of the factory paint job. My GX was alot smoother to the touch than the non-Simoniz one, I could tell the difference right away.
My last car use to get a lot of paint damage from bird droppings and tree sap, with the Simoniz system, they both wash off easily, and I dont have to wax my car for a few years. I think it was well worth $250.
Old 01-05-06, 05:02 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default KDSS is available as a stand alone option, but only on white or savannah vehicles (m)

Originally Posted by gs_girl
Hi all,
We finally picked up our GX470 two weeks ago. I wanted one with KDSS. Our sales guy told us we would have to pick up one with the the sports package if I wanted the KDSS option..somehow from the GX brochure I thought that KDSS was an option and I could have it without having to choose the sports package. Anyways, we finally decided to go ahead with the sports package in the end with Nav system, RSES and the works

We just love the way it drives..simply fantastic.
We shall be taking the truck in for PermaPaint with our service dealer and wanted to know if any one here had done that and what your experience was with it.

Thanks in advance,
Mel
Other colors are available with KDSS, but it is then bundled with the sports package. The cost for the sports package is something like $50 more than KDSS alone. I have a Blizzard White GX on order with KDSS as I did not care for the handling without it.
Old 01-05-06, 06:52 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs_girl
Hi all,
We finally picked up our GX470 two weeks ago. ...

Thanks in advance,
Mel
Congrats on your new truck!

On PermPaint, depends on the price. If it's free take it.

If it's $850 (seems like usual price dealer starts at) FORGET it.

You can get a really good detail (2 coats hand wax, interior to the max, including q-tipping around the buttons) for about $150. And this is done by "professional" detailers.

At your dealer it will be the same minimum wage guys that wash the cars and sweep the service bays.

So if it's $850, you could get a great detail every year for 5 years and come out $100 ahead!