GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New 2006..1600 miles..initial observations.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-05, 10:02 AM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2006..1600 miles..initial observations.....

Got a new GX 2006 recently - Includes all options. LIke the car - have put about 1600 miles on it - - but couple of obervations/ issues:

1) POOR HEADLIGHTS performance (low brightness/ intensity and low beam falling too short on the road). Service department claimed lights are "self leveling" so they did not need to adjust them.....?

On intensity, dealer claimed they were HIDs and that was the output.. Can anyone confirm same on HIDs ....I told Lexus to change the lights with HIDs and I would pay - Parts department did not have a part - -claimed after market would HIDs burn out witin a year due to different load vs OEMs......?

I have read the posts and it appears H11/xenondepot is the replacement....even with H11s don't I need to adjust the height otherwise they will fall too short on the road...? Once i disconnect the battery assume all the memory points in Nav are also erased..?

2) SLIGHT LEAN....car has KDSS so not sure if this is more sensitivity -- car can lean in either direction when parked depending on the surface.....suprisingly dealer told me the sales rep (from Lexus I assume) had told them there is slight lean in Toyota/Lexus but that will go away after driving the vehicle for some time...I had a '00 4runner which did have a slight lean and that did indeed disappear after a 1yr+....so this appears something carried over varios model years.....Anyone with this experience on GX ie. is the lean present for the 03-05 that have been driven longer

3) CLUNK.....yes I have experienced it - -so they have not fully fixed this problem for the 2006. Not a big deal happened only a couple of times but more recently have not come across it. (I test drove another '06 where it was much more pronounced and very easily detectable). Also does anyone hear a slight clunk when you are driving very slow and accelerate a bit (I know the clunk is normally at braking) -- ...but every now and then it seems like a gear just engaged...

4) QUITE BUMPY ON uneven roads - -small bumps seems to be somewhat pronounced...checked tire pressure, kept setting to normal - -but it does seems the car is quite sensitive.......I have removed the third row seats - - not sure if putting them back it puts the extra 90+ pounds weight in the back and helps...? Any suggestions...? But in NYC in the comfort mode, it did an excellent job on the road dips in Manhattan.....but comfort is too soft to leave for normal driving....

5) BLUETOOTH works well with the Motorola E815 - -- if you have Verizon, dealer said they would upload phonebook for us as Verizon system does not allow this .....

Great vehicle overall- -good long distance crusier!

Last edited by GGGXXX; 12-11-05 at 10:30 AM. Reason: incomplete message
Old 12-11-05, 07:44 PM
peterGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

question #1. HID is NOT a factory option or available on GXs, reason because the GX sit so high up. Also there are NO "Sefl Leveling" on GXs head light. HIDs are GREAT! I got them in my head light and fog light. Never had any problem. I don't know who tell you other wise.

Question #3. My 06 never made any "CLUNKING" sound in the 4 months I own it. But recently the temper drop below 10degree i noticed a clunking sound from the back. I looked in the rear and notice the spare tire is not secured tightly. I could push on it and it move back. I use the tire crank and was able to turn it 3 times. This raised the tire up tight and secure. Now No more Clunking sound. Anyway, I don't know if your is like my but I haven't heard that clunking sound since I tighen the spare tire down.

Question #4. I driven lots of sadan car included BMW 3 series, Lexus ES300, Acura TL, Maxima GLE, to name a few, And I notice my GX have a much smoother rides than those cars. Especially when I got 275/45/22 on there now, it handle much better than before. My point is the GX suspension is great comparing to other sedan.

Good luck with your other question.

Last edited by peterGX470; 12-11-05 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-13-05, 06:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The GX doesnt have self leveling headlights, your service department need to go back to the Lexus school. I believe there is a post in this forum about where the headlight adjustment screws are in the headlight assembly. The RX with the HID option comes with the self leveling and adaptive headlights.
The GX doesnt have HID lights either, it has a projection lenses on the headlight. If you need a lot more light output, HID is the way to go, you will need a new relay and a fuse with higher ratings, which comes with the xenon depot kit, otherwise, you run the risk of overloading the factory relay. Since the HID are not DOT approved for the GX, your dealer would be breaking the law if they install for you.
Another option is changing your headlight and foglight bulbs. The GX's factory harness can handle up a 70 watt bulb on the low beam.
As far as the GX beening bumpy on uneven roads. I will bet you will not find another vehicle with solid rear axle that rides as smooth as the GX.
Old 12-13-05, 07:12 AM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peterGX470
question #1. HID is NOT a factory option or available on GXs, reason because the GX sit so high up. Also there are NO "Sefl Leveling" on GXs head light. HIDs are GREAT! I got them in my head light and fog light. Never had any problem. I don't know who tell you other wise.

Question #3. My 06 never made any "CLUNKING" sound in the 4 months I own it. But recently the temper drop below 10degree i noticed a clunking sound from the back. I looked in the rear and notice the spare tire is not secured tightly. I could push on it and it move back. I use the tire crank and was able to turn it 3 times. This raised the tire up tight and secure. Now No more Clunking sound. Anyway, I don't know if your is like my but I haven't heard that clunking sound since I tighen the spare tire down.

Question #4. I driven lots of sadan car included BMW 3 series, Lexus ES300, Acura TL, Maxima GLE, to name a few, And I notice my GX have a much smoother rides than those cars. Especially when I got 275/45/22 on there now, it handle much better than before. My point is the GX suspension is great comparing to other sedan.

Good luck with your other question.

After reading that you secured the spare tighter and the clunking went away. Could that be the solution to ALL the peoples problems with the CLUNK in the GX????
WOW, that would be funny.
Old 12-13-05, 07:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by petsb10
After reading that you secured the spare tighter and the clunking went away. Could that be the solution to ALL the peoples problems with the CLUNK in the GX????
WOW, that would be funny.
No such luck !
Old 12-13-05, 07:31 AM
silvergx
Driver School Candidate

Noooooo they know something is wrong.
Old 12-13-05, 09:57 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Congrats with your new GX!!! If I recall correctly consumer reports rated the GX470 headlight as one of the best beforming headlights, even out performing some HID systems, interms of beam pattern and cut off.

I don't think the GX needs self leveling headlights. Since it has self leveling suspension which keeps the front end and headlights from pointing up when there is load in the rear. In some countries however a cockpit headlight aim adjuster is mandatory for most vehicles.

When I took my GX off roading, it does get bumpy and jittery specially on wash board roads. I think it's just the nature of the vehicle since it has heavier unsprung weight.