GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Special Ordering GX w/KDSS (non-sp)

Old 10-10-05, 11:47 PM
metropol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special Ordering GX w/KDSS (non-sp)

Folks,
Wanted to know experiences with special ordering a lexus: prices, process, etc.

Problem: SP car is the only one that comes standard with KDSS -- but I hate the polished metal/black wood interior -- kind of cheapens the car for me.
Solution: special order a "regular" truck with KDSS -- can be done according to Lexus and multiple dealerships.
But... the dealer wants to have me sign for a 'sticker' price and the wait is quoted at 3-6months.

Maybe my request is unusual, but then again, I was one of the first to report on the now famous 'clunk/thump'
Old 10-11-05, 10:57 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Metropol, I thought you bought the GX already

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=149597

KDSS only comes with the sports package.
So by the "special order", they wanted you to pay the sticker price just to get the kdss without the other options?

Wow, I wouldn't mind trading my regular wood trims with your blackwood and you wouldn't have to wait or pay for that sticker price. Are you interested?
Old 10-11-05, 01:37 PM
AgentWD-40
Driver

From what I have heard of doing special orders you do tend to loose your ability to negoiate on price. Why don't you contact some of the internet/fleet sales people and see if they can do a special order and get you a better deal. Typically they are more helpful and will give you a no BS, up front price over the phone or via email.

The first thing they should offer is to check other dealer inventory and look. I wouldn't be surprised if the non-sp KDSS setup is pretty rare though, perhaps special order only.

You might also want to search for dealers (and sales people) that other people have had good experiences with too see how they can help you.

Last edited by AgentWD-40; 10-11-05 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-11-05, 02:34 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Default I did it

Metropol

I too hated the black trim (interior and exterior) on the SP GX (plus I had no need for the RSES).... Thus in December 2004, I ordered a 2005 meridan blue with the normal tan interior and normal wood trim. I then ordered kdss, 6k tow package, ml, clear front end overlay for bugs and rocks, chrome tips, rear spoiler and third row.

Basically, we got everything we wanted... without the extras. But, after contacting several local dealership and getting a number of stories and different prices... We went out of state (WI). All of the ILL dealers wanted non-refundable deposits of $500 to $5000 Our dealer did the deal for $500 down - refundable.

I was able to negotiate a deal. I have seen others that appear to have gotten a little better deal, but as I said, we got what we wanted and we were very early in the model year. (they weren't released until December)... I got about 5k off sticker... But I negotiated UP from dealer cost. We agreed upon 3k over dealer cost. (I used all of the published numbers, then checked them line by line with the salesman and the dealer order sheet.)

I didn't meet the salesman or set foot in the dealership until the truck was here... Yes it took until EASTER.

If you are working with my dealer in WI.... Let me know.

Good Luck
Old 10-11-05, 04:44 PM
metropol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Metropol, I thought you bought the GX already
Now, that you mention it, I did ask similar questions, almost a year ago. Long story, but I thought, picky customers like me, would force Lexus into providing either different interior combo with the SP car or KDSS with regular. Now, I think, I know better -- ordering a car that dealer could end up stuck with, is difficult at best.

KDSS only comes with the sports package.
So by the "special order", they wanted you to pay the sticker price just to get the kdss without the other options?
My order had everything, but the RSES. They just wanted me to pay extra (more than the sticker for the SP car!), just because its a special order car.
Wow, I wouldn't mind trading my regular wood trims with your blackwood and you wouldn't have to wait or pay for that sticker price. Are you interested? :thumbup
Hmm... very appetizing proposition -- there is a polish metal middle trim, covering navigation/stereo/climate control as well fyi. Still interested? I thought, making car with different wood paneling would be easier then installing KDSS. Well, it is, but Lexus is not doing it. Only 'special' order option is still KDSS.

Last edited by metropol; 10-11-05 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-11-05, 04:51 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Don't forget the steering wheel would also need to be swapped!
Old 10-11-05, 05:49 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow Metropol, your interest is peaking my interest

All of the pieces either pop out or need to be unscrewed, no problems at all.
Steering wheels are also easy. Since both of our airbags are black already, we just keep ours.

I don't mind that polish metal trim.

This might be the first GX to GX wood swap.
PM me if you are interested and where you are located. I'm down here in So Cal, Costa Mesa.

At most , we can just send the wood pieces
Old 10-11-05, 08:42 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

It is strange but I was able to order my 04 GX NON-SPORT edition w/ KDSS however it came fully loaded. Basically, I have a GX Sport w/out the wood trim stuff. It's goofy on how Lexus did this....ah c'est la vie.
Old 10-11-05, 09:31 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tetra7
It is strange but I was able to order my 04 GX NON-SPORT edition w/ KDSS however it came fully loaded. Basically, I have a GX Sport w/out the wood trim stuff. It's goofy on how Lexus did this....ah c'est la vie.
There was no Sport Package option in 2004.
Old 10-11-05, 09:34 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs400jon
There was no Sport Package option in 2004.
Yes, also the Sport Pkg is more than KDSS and Blk Maple with Alum trim. Also slightly smoked headlamps, smoke reverse lamps, smoked/graphite rims, smoked/graphite roof rack, etc.
Old 10-11-05, 10:10 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

You are right...no sport package and the rest is just cosmetic.
Old 10-12-05, 08:25 AM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stl2chi
Metropol

I too hated the black trim (interior and exterior) on the SP GX (plus I had no need for the RSES).... Thus in December 2004, I ordered a 2005 meridan blue with the normal tan interior and normal wood trim. I then ordered kdss, 6k tow package, ml, clear front end overlay for bugs and rocks, chrome tips, rear spoiler and third row.

Basically, we got everything we wanted... without the extras. But, after contacting several local dealership and getting a number of stories and different prices... We went out of state (WI). All of the ILL dealers wanted non-refundable deposits of $500 to $5000 Our dealer did the deal for $500 down - refundable.

I was able to negotiate a deal. I have seen others that appear to have gotten a little better deal, but as I said, we got what we wanted and we were very early in the model year. (they weren't released until December)... I got about 5k off sticker... But I negotiated UP from dealer cost. We agreed upon 3k over dealer cost. (I used all of the published numbers, then checked them line by line with the salesman and the dealer order sheet.)

I didn't meet the salesman or set foot in the dealership until the truck was here... Yes it took until EASTER.

If you are working with my dealer in WI.... Let me know.

Good Luck

If I am planning on LEASING, Am I able to order a KDSS equipped truck without the dark interior??