GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Real Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-05, 02:16 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Real Mileage

Ok... Took the GX out of town for the weekend.
Approximately a 300 mile trip each way.....

I was not able to make the trip on one tank... Surprise!

But lets do a little math...

23 gallon tank X 19 miles per gallon estimated = 437 promised....

Not even close. At 200 miles of spirited highway driving (I averaged 75 mph) I was already at the quarter tank...... the onboard computer showed 80 miles left...

Yes, I know driving fast kills the mpg... But, I only get about 14-16 mpg.. and never more than 250 miles before I started looking for the gas station.

How many miles have you been able to travel on a single tank?
Was this highway or city or combo?
Was that premium or regular ?

Other than the mileage and gas cost .... What a great way to travel. If you must drive.
Old 10-04-05, 03:35 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stl2chi
Ok... Took the GX out of town for the weekend.
Approximately a 300 mile trip each way.....

I was not able to make the trip on one tank... Surprise!

But lets do a little math...

23 gallon tank X 19 miles per gallon estimated = 437 promised....

Not even close. At 200 miles of spirited highway driving (I averaged 75 mph) I was already at the quarter tank...... the onboard computer showed 80 miles left...

Yes, I know driving fast kills the mpg... But, I only get about 14-16 mpg.. and never more than 250 miles before I started looking for the gas station.

How many miles have you been able to travel on a single tank?
Was this highway or city or combo?
Was that premium or regular ?

Other than the mileage and gas cost .... What a great way to travel. If you must drive.
Wow, that's not much better than 12 MPG. I would expect better even at 75 MPH. On the last refill, my truck averaged 19.1 MPG trip computer and 17 MPG hand calculated for about 60% freeway and 40% in town. Freeway cruising speed is always 65-70 MPH, traffic permitting. I only use 87 octane.
Old 10-04-05, 04:38 PM
soflGSguy
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by gs400jon
Wow, that's not much better than 12 MPG. I would expect better even at 75 MPH. On the last refill, my truck averaged 19.1 MPG trip computer and 17 MPG hand calculated for about 60% freeway and 40% in town. Freeway cruising speed is always 65-70 MPH, traffic permitting. I only use 87 octane.
Don’t forget EVEN thoe u have a 23 gallon take whatever it may be, u never run it down to 0 when then light comes on thoe there’s like 3-4 galls left to find out mpg truly, next time u fill it up note the miles on the car say 23,302 less say, and then fill, next time u have 2 fill up remember to write down the gallon put in to the SUV, then take the mile son the car say 23,502, take way the first miles, and give u 200 mile/ that into the gas used say 12g, it be 16.6 miles per gallon, try it to get the mpg not guessing i got a 23 gallon take and i drove 200miles good luck
Old 10-04-05, 07:12 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by soflGSguy
Don’t forget EVEN thoe u have a 23 gallon take whatever it may be, u never run it down to 0 when then light comes on thoe there’s like 3-4 galls left to find out mpg truly, next time u fill it up note the miles on the car say 23,302 less say, and then fill, next time u have 2 fill up remember to write down the gallon put in to the SUV, then take the mile son the car say 23,502, take way the first miles, and give u 200 mile/ that into the gas used say 12g, it be 16.6 miles per gallon, try it to get the mpg not guessing i got a 23 gallon take and i drove 200miles good luck
I zero the trip odometer at every refill.
Old 10-04-05, 07:16 PM
squeege
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HTML Code:
 next time u fill it up note the miles on the car say 23,302 less say, and then fill, next time u have 2 fill up remember to write down the gallon put in to the SUV, then take the mile son the car say 23,502, take way the first miles
Or, since you have an A and B trip meter, just zero one of them at the time of your first fill-up. At the next fill -up, divide the miles by the gallons.

Squeege
Old 10-05-05, 07:33 AM
stl2chi
Rookie

Gang... I am very aware of how to calculate avg mileage.... Sorry, if I didn't sound that way.

What I am looking for is a few folks to tell me exactly how many miles they are getting on a tank of gas, while driving at highway speeds.... Mileage is one thing... Total miles to a tank is another...

Has any one gotten 350 or more? Are you actually seeing more mileage while on premium? (especially since the manual claims better "performance" with premium).

thanks for your time.
Old 10-05-05, 07:36 AM
batmobl
Rookie

Gang... I am very aware of how to calculate avg mileage.... Sorry, if I didn't sound that way.

What I am looking for is a few folks to tell me exactly how many miles they are getting on a tank of gas, while driving at highway speeds.... Mileage is one thing... Total miles to a tank is another...

Has any one gotten 350 or more? Are you actually seeing more mileage while on premium? (especially since the manual claims better "performance" with premium).

thanks for your time.
I have been using 87 and drove 340 miles last weekend (all hwy miles) and it still shows that I have a little less than quarter tank left.
Old 10-05-05, 07:49 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

I drove back and forth from Long Island to Cape Cod this summer 3 times and recorded about 16 MPG each time on my '05 GX w/8K miles on it.

The one-way mileage was 275 and I had a quarter tank left at end of each trip (avg MPH between 65-75; mostly highway; 1-2 passengers and not much luggage). I calculated as follows: [23 gal tank/4=5.75]. [23-5.75=17.25 gals]. [275/17.25=15.94MPG]. This calculation was based on observation and probably not 100% accurate but it was consistent. By the way... I use regular unleaded.
Old 10-05-05, 08:36 AM
stl2chi
Rookie

I have been using 87 and drove 340 miles last weekend (all hwy miles) and it still shows that I have a little less than quarter tank left.

Wow.... that would be about 20 mpg!!!! What kind of speeds are you driving?
Old 10-05-05, 08:49 AM
batmobl
Rookie

Wow.... that would be about 20 mpg!!!! What kind of speeds are you driving?
70-75 mph. I used cruise control for the most part of my drive. Not sure if that helped.
Old 10-05-05, 04:57 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Folks, I too am getting around 250 miles before the tank is empty... Not happy with it, but was told to hold off and let the engine "break-in"??? By members of this forum on different thread...

I get on average about 250~260 before the fuel gauge pegs "ZERO" and the warning light flashing about 30 miles prior... I haven't nor do I want to run completely empty...

Ah well, what can I do, I still love this machine... She looks so purty and drives so nice...

No KDSS and I use Mobil/Exxon premium exclusively...
Old 10-05-05, 06:22 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

i popped in a K and N filter.... it might be helping.. i havent really done any calculation.... ill do it on my next fill up....

im gonna use 87 shell gas...
Old 10-05-05, 07:24 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default I get more

Typically average about 16mpg....most recently got 365 from a tank (light was on)...computer usually resets "range" to about 375 (not that I trust that). 400+? never! Always use "regular"

Last edited by Knicksfan; 10-05-05 at 07:25 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 10-05-05, 10:25 PM
Donger
Driver

Just took a trip from Phoenix to San Diego - got about 260 miles before the light came on. I have about 5,000 miles on the truck and was doing about 75ish the whole way. But there were very strong cross winds the entire way, so I was just assuming the less than advertised MPG was due to the wind and my speed (and the fact the engine hasn't broken in completely).

I did notice a slight improvement with 91 octane over the 87, but I am not sure it was the fuel or the conditions.

Has anyone else driven the GX in strong cross winds? I know the thing is tall, but it was nuts the way the wind effected the vehicle. I was driving with a constant left turn (except the sections when the wind started to swirl, then I was just all over the lane) - I've driven this route many times in my old X5 and never experienced that much push, even in the strongest of gusts.

While I am here in San Diego, I should learn to sail - maybe I can get better fuel efficiency going back since it acts like an old clipper ship in strong wind
Old 10-06-05, 07:45 AM
stl2chi
Rookie

Default I too

yes... driving the gx in high winds is an experience..... I have made a few trips in America’s heartland during high winds...... Not for amateurs..... Its a battle all the way.

Quick Reply: Real Mileage