GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Need some advice with a trade (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 09:21 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice with a trade (maybe)

Ok......i'll try to be short and to the point.....I usually dont post here since dont own a GX but it could soon change.....I LOVE my 06 GS but it seems like i pulled the trigger tooo quickly. I NEED A SUV!!!!

I have already spoken to LONGO and CROWN LEXUS and are waiting for quotes from them.....no matter what i am going to get hit hard for buying the GS in excitement.

Basically the dealership has to pay of my 6 mo old lease and give me a GREAT deal on an 06 GX470 with ML/NAV (financed) so that no one gets hurt....i am not quite sure about that......

Any comments or advice/suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-05, 04:38 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trade

you are better off dumping the GS on your own...there is no way the dealership will be able to do anything without whacking you really hard for the GS. Even if they give you the GX at dead cost, the rolled up payments of your remaining GS lease are probably in excess of $30k.

I would either a) try to sell the GS outright on your own, or
b) www.swapalease.com

My brother used swapalease for his current car...his other lease was up, but the IS wasn't released yet, so he got in on a 9 month lease for an SUV, and now he's waiting to order his IS to have for the early spring.
Old 09-28-05, 05:26 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnny Mo
you are better off dumping the GS on your own...there is no way the dealership will be able to do anything without whacking you really hard for the GS. Even if they give you the GX at dead cost, the rolled up payments of your remaining GS lease are probably in excess of $30k.

I would either a) try to sell the GS outright on your own, or
b) www.swapalease.com

My brother used swapalease for his current car...his other lease was up, but the IS wasn't released yet, so he got in on a 9 month lease for an SUV, and now he's waiting to order his IS to have for the early spring.
I agree, you would likely come out better by selling the GS on your own.

The dealer has no incentive to structure a deal that would work in your favor since the "used car" market is primarily where their earnings come from. I would guess that their offer to you will be at least $10K less than for what they would sell the car.

As a reality check, keep in mind that in selling the car yourself you're also competing with the mark-down that dealers are giving now in pricing new GSs. Not to sound too brutal, but you probably won't walk away from this with a lot of $$$ in your wallet.

Is your lease assumable, and have you given that option any consideration?

Does the SUV you "need" have to be a GX? As you know, the present SUV market is dead. Aside from the luxury SUV market, auto-makers are lavishing incentives to their SUV purchasers. If you're willing to consider a non-Lexus SUV, there may be a way for you to "afford" keeping your GS and also having the SUV you "need".

My thought is if you really "need" an SUV, and since it's going to cost you a lot of $$$ right now to dump the leased GS, why not consider keeping that lease (for now) and use the incentives that American manufacturers are currently offering on more proletarian SUV to lease or purchase in that arena.

Last edited by LeslieRC; 09-28-05 at 05:30 AM.