GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: What kind of gas are you using these days?
Premium
51.69%
Regular
48.31%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of gas? Premium or regular? (merged GX gas threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-04, 07:51 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use 87 and have no complaints.
Old 07-20-04, 09:48 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by EDGE2
Forgot to add, the compression ratio of the engine is not suited for premium, it's around 8.1 or 8.7 which is what most engines run with 87 are fine, engines that should get premium are usually 10.1 or even 11

Good Point, very true
Old 07-20-04, 09:50 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Also, I think, that the owners manual for the 4-runner says 87 and doesn't even mention recommending premium. Funny that the Lexus manual does though.

And what about the Tundra manuals, bet they say nothing about premium either
Old 07-20-04, 10:27 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Cessna172
Also, I think, that the owners manual for the 4-runner says 87 and doesn't even mention recommending premium. Funny that the Lexus manual does though.

And what about the Tundra manuals, bet they say nothing about premium either
The owners manual says for added performance use premium, thats for both V8 and V6 engines, I don't have a Tundra but it's probably the same
Old 07-20-04, 10:34 AM
Cessna172
Driver

You would think that if you had a lower compression engine that didn't require premium, and put premium in, that it would actually decrease performance, since higher octane fuel burns slower.

Thoughts?

Something I am missing about the I-Force to make this not true?
Old 07-20-04, 10:59 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Their is a Motor Trend article where they did the Octane debate, I know 1 of the cars was an M3 that they ran on 87, the car lost HP they also had a car that lost power on premium, I'll find it was an interesting read.

I just looked and the 2003 GX Brochure says the 4.7L has a compression ratio of 9.6:1 which is almost a 10 and I know most Bimmers are running at 10 and they require premium, now Im confused.

Now I thought the 4Runner was 8.7:1 but Im guessing thats wrong, Im pretty sure the 4.0L V6 in the 4Runner is a high compression but they run fine on 87, I do know that modern day engines with the ECU and knock senors can retard or advance the timing to make up for the octane, old school cars let you know if they re lacking octane, on start up from the pump they scream for mercy if you put the wrong gas in them.

The I-Force V8 are all built in the same Factory, that I know
Old 07-20-04, 01:21 PM
SacKen
Driver

87 for daily commuting and 91 (the highest we get in CA) when I tow my boat up the mountains. I don't know all the technicals about it, but I notice an improvement with the premium fuel when going up the hills with the boat. Normal driving, I don't notice enough to make it worth the extra $$$.
Old 07-20-04, 01:33 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by SacKen
87 for daily commuting and 91 (the highest we get in CA) when I tow my boat up the mountains. I don't know all the technicals about it, but I notice an improvement with the premium fuel when going up the hills with the boat. Normal driving, I don't notice enough to make it worth the extra $$$.
I'm not sure of the technicals either, but you are correct, I do notice a difference going from 87 to 91. I have been using 91 all the time, but I think I will try 87 around town, and when the snow flies 91 when trailering the snowmobiles.

I am regretting not getting the KDSS though, this thing really sways if its not in the semi-sport or sport modes, and even then it leans quite a bit in the turns.

Last edited by Cessna172; 07-20-04 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-20-04, 08:55 PM
Triplenet
Driver School Candidate

87. 20K on my '04, no sweat. Save your money.

Bob
Old 07-21-04, 04:09 PM
SacKen
Driver

Originally posted by Cessna172
... I am regretting not getting the KDSS though, this thing really sways if its not in the semi-sport or sport modes, and even then it leans quite a bit in the turns.
I know... I wanted KDSS but needed to tow my boat, so [soup-**** impersonation] "no KDSS for me." IF I would have known then that they were planning to have tow capable KDSS (which I hear is now available) I would have waited the extra 4-months... maybe I'll lemon law it and get a tow-capable KDSS '05 w/ more power
Old 04-07-05, 02:47 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default Regular vs. Premium Poll

Normally I hate polls but since there is a fair amount of dsicussion over Regular vs. Premium I thought this may be informative. Please vote which one you use and feel free to leave a reason so that the others can see the merits of each choice.
Old 04-07-05, 03:19 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking It is a Lexus...

So why should I give my car not the best? I treat cars like family.... Would you feed your son McDonalds all day rather than a balanced nutritous and delicous meal plan??? I didn't think so! So why should I give my Lexus any less?

ALSO...Since i plan on passing my car on for generations, I want it to last forever and would rather pay a little premium now to keep the original engine in tact to avoid any unnesecary problems down the road.

Anyway, if you can afford a Lexus, you could probably afford Premium without having to sell our house. (not to count our money since I hate that anyway, but it is most likely true)
Old 04-07-05, 05:30 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool And the point is ......

I am not so attached to a "car" that I want to indulge it in something which is not warranted. If I am going to tow something or perhaps want that extra "perky" behavour, I will upgrade what I put in it. Until that time I think regular is effecient. Another point to make, since I can afford a car in this price range, it does not necessitate my enjoyment for randomnly throwing money away needlessly. There a much better things to spend it on... Just some thoughts.
Old 04-07-05, 07:25 PM
98Nav400
Driver

If the 4runner/Tundra/Sequoia has the identical engine and they call for regular I don't see why any greater is needed for my "Lexus". Especially if the manual says for optimum performance use premium; frankly if I wanted "optimum performance" I would have purchased a vehicle with a higher output engine. I love mine, but knew I wasn't buying a race car SUV.
Old 04-07-05, 07:34 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yaro1
So why should I give my car not the best? I treat cars like family.... Would you feed your son McDonalds all day rather than a balanced nutritous and delicous meal plan??? I didn't think so! So why should I give my Lexus any less?

ALSO...Since i plan on passing my car on for generations, I want it to last forever and would rather pay a little premium now to keep the original engine in tact to avoid any unnesecary problems down the road.

Anyway, if you can afford a Lexus, you could probably afford Premium without having to sell our house. (not to count our money since I hate that anyway, but it is most likely true)
Thanks for the feedback but the poll is between premium and regular. Not Premium vs. Deisel. Regular does not damage an engine in ANY way so the foundation of your arguement seems founded in a false premise. However, Premium certainly won't "hurt" so I guess it's just as good as regular from that point of view.

Quick Reply: What kind of gas? Premium or regular? (merged GX gas threads)