GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

want to buy a GX470

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-05, 05:26 PM
JohnAMG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to buy a GX470

Hello,

I am a potential first time Lexus buyer and very interested in getting a GX470. I have always own Mercedes Benz, even the ML320, but I am ready for a change( at least the SUV) I already test drove a 2005 GX470 and I love the ride and the level of luxury the Lexus has to offer. MY questions are,

1) Are there any issue and relevant facts I need to know before I take the plunge

2) What is the best price I can get or ask for? The dealer has 10 GX470 in stock and all has the 3rd row seat and navigation I want. The sticker price is under $53K. What is the realistic price I can get? Or should I wait until the end of the year and hope for a larger discount?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

John
Old 08-18-05, 05:33 PM
squeege
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

Browse the foums and both your questions will be answered.

Had an ML320 that spent more time in the dealership for steering column changes than I care to remember. There is much more room in the GX and the ride is much quieter.

Squeege

Last edited by squeege; 08-23-05 at 06:56 PM. Reason: add signature
Old 08-18-05, 05:52 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had an 03 ML320 for 2 years all I had was problems with that truck.
Old 08-18-05, 06:41 PM
Joel888
Driver

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
Hello,

I am a potential first time Lexus buyer and very interested in getting a GX470. I have always own Mercedes Benz, even the ML320, but I am ready for a change( at least the SUV) I already test drove a 2005 GX470 and I love the ride and the level of luxury the Lexus has to offer. MY questions are,

1) Are there any issue and relevant facts I need to know before I take the plunge

2) What is the best price I can get or ask for? The dealer has 10 GX470 in stock and all has the 3rd row seat and navigation I want. The sticker price is under $53K. What is the realistic price I can get? Or should I wait until the end of the year and hope for a larger discount?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

John
John, best time to buy is usually the last week of the month. I bought mine on 5/27, and received a good deal. My GX sticker at $56K+ and I got it for $49K.

I see that you are from NY, which dealer have you visited?
Old 08-18-05, 06:56 PM
JohnAMG
Rookie

Hello Joel888,

I am located south of Buffalo NY. The dealer I visited is Northtown Lexus. I didn't negotiate much and was promise a $1800 discount without a hassle. I am really impress with the GX and just realize how convinient it is to have a third seating when I have a toddler and a newborn baby.

John
Old 08-18-05, 07:12 PM
Joel888
Driver

John, I have my GX for almost 3 month now and I absolutely love it. The refined ride, the superb leather seats, the DVD entertainments for my kids and the NAV (except that annoying welcome screen) are typical Lexus. I believe you will be happy with it too.
Old 08-18-05, 08:14 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Thumbs up

I am really impress with the GX and just realize how convinient it is to have a third seating when I have a toddler and a newborn baby.

John

That is the main reason why we got the GX.
03 was the first year for the GX and the only major problem for some was the drive shaft regarding a clunking/lurching issue.
Some 04's had the problem.
Mine is an 05 and does not have any problem whatsoever
If you are to read this whole GX section, you won't find any electrical, mechanical, engine problems at all, except for that above mentioned problem in the 03s.
Don't forget that there's the sports package as an $1800 option if you want to splurge a little more.
What color int/ext are you going for???
Old 08-18-05, 10:13 PM
JohnAMG
Rookie

I am considering either Ash-Blue-Mica or the Silver-Pine-Metallic with the dark grey interior. This is going to be my third car so I don't want to go over board. But the DVD entertainment system may have to be added to the option list. The touchscreen navigation is out of this world compare to the Mercedes. To this date, my wife still don't know how to use the Mercedes navigation system.

John
Old 08-19-05, 08:58 AM
irv09
Driver School Candidate

John:

I went through the same exercise two months ago and I ended up with Silver Pine/Dk Gray; purchased on the last day of the month. I was going to order Ash Blue/Dk Gray, but it takes around 90 days to get the car and at that point, the '06 models would be out, so I was fine with Silver Pine since it was on the lot and I was able to get a better price. I do not think there is a bad choice between the two colors and the Dk Gray interior will be a bit easier to maintain with small ones. . . The car is great and very comfortable on long trips as well as in town. My wife has my old '03 Durado Gold GX and she is quite happy with the vehicle.

Good luck with the process.
Old 08-19-05, 12:50 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

You will LOVE the truck!

It has quickly become one of my all-time favorite vehicles. While I normally lease vehicles so I can get a new car every three years, I bought the GX because I absolutely fell in love with the car. it is buttery smooth, somewhat rare, and it gives you an awesome sense of security while at the helm of this juggernaut.

If you are interested, I wrote a long-winded review you might enjoy before taking the plunge.

Check it out: http://www.epinions.com/content_172063428228

Also, if you are a business man like myself and/or are constantly on the cell phone. Bluetooth is an invaluable feature. It integreates your phone with the car wirelessly and allows you to carry on a conversation without having to take your hands off the wheel. It is very very very helpful. I can't express my liking of this feature enough. ( I wish it was on the 04 GX, I have it on my 05 RX which is the same thing as the GX's 2005 version).

Good luck with your purchase and an ahead-of-time welcome aboard!
Old 08-19-05, 02:51 PM
royk
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad to see all the positive replies from owners as we too are in the market for a new SUV.

We'll wait for the '06 and given the new color options (as posted in another thread), we'll have to wait until the information arrives in Sept, according to our dealer rep.

Wife wanted Dorado Gold but understand that it's one of the colors being replaced so who knows what she'll like from the new palate!

Thanks for a great forum.
Old 08-23-05, 09:00 AM
JohnAMG
Rookie

Thanks for all of your response. I got a quote from the local dealer for a 2005 GX470 MSRP at $52788 and the negotiated price is at $47000. Is this the best price available or there is more room for negotiation? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

John

Last edited by JohnAMG; 08-23-05 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-24-05, 02:47 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Thumbs up BIG option ... most recommended

Thanks for all of your response. I got a quote from the local dealer for a 2005 GX470 MSRP at $52788 and the negotiated price is at $47000. Is this the best price available or there is more room for negotiation? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

John

The only option that I would HIGHLY recommend that you entertain is the KDSS suspension. I personally don't care for the interior option, but it makes a huge difference in the way the truck handles. I drive winding roads every day, and over my last vehicle, it had the most profound impact. You should at least try one before you make the final leap, and let your senses satisfy your decision.
Old 08-24-05, 03:57 PM
Lexus_girl
Pole Position

You should be able to go a little lower...say another $500.
Good luck.
Old 08-24-05, 05:25 PM
eholody
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know where to get Canadian dealer invoice prices for 05 and 06 GXs? The family's in the market for one

(Mother wont settle for anything else after comparing her outgoing ML with father's LS and SC...even my Celica).

Thanks alot!

Quick Reply: want to buy a GX470