GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

I hate my new GX

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-05, 06:59 PM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate my new GX

I know I'll get flamed for saying this but I am very unhappy with the GX I just bought. I bought it to replace my wife's 02 Escalade. The fit and finish on the interior is nice on the GX but there any many features that this car lacks. It's totally my fault for not insisting on taking the car home for a night instead of a 15 minute test drive. Here is a list of things that I really bother me:

1. There is way too much body roll in this truck (non kdss). The Escalade weights a lot more than the GX yet it drives like a smaller car. It is on par or worse than my Hummer H2. I know it is an SUV and not a sports car and that it is based on a truck frame. Larger sway bars would be an easy fix for this.

2. Seats do not have enough lateral support which makes 1 even worse.

3. What is up with these brakes? I can appreciate powerful brakes and maybe I'll get used to them but they are just over the top.

4. I have the widely discussed thump that happens when you stop or when you release the brakes after stopping.

5. The I Agree button is about as silly as it gets.

6. Not to be lazy but I feel the tuning **** on the radio is an uncomfortable reach. Usually mfgs. try to put things that are easy to reach by the driver.

7. The passenger seat does not have a power tilt??????

8. The phone does not charge with the car off.

9. When you open the door and the seat is set for your wife, you simply can't press your preset button on the door to move the seat to your position prior to entering the vehicle.

10. It downshifts when you go down hills and it feels like your slowing down causing you to throttle down hills. This makes the motor race because it is in a lower gear. I assume that you get used to this also.

11. The lower car seat anchors in the back places the carseat halfway on the middle seat and halfway on the left seat.

12. There is no retained accessory power when you turn the key off. This is not a big deal but when it is gone you really miss it.

13. When the window lock button is pushed, the driver can only move his window. To roll down the passenger window, you have to unlock all the windows which gives the kids in the rear free reign of the windows.

14. No change holder? Come on.

15. The voice command function is actually comical. The accuracy rate is about one in 15. The bright side is that I know where all the coffee houses are!

I am so frustrated that I feel like smashing this thing. So many people love this car and Lexus is well known for its quality. This is my first Lexus and my first foreign car. As I said before, the quality feel of the interior compared what I was used to from GM is what swayed me.

Again, I know many here love this car and I expect some to become defensive and that is OK. I think that all things good and bad should be reported as well as personal impressions. It looks like I'll be taking a huge hit on this one.

Last edited by 89vette; 07-17-05 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-17-05, 07:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well...its too bad you didn't find these issues out when you bought the car...any chance of your Lexus dealer rectifying some of those problems?

I know voice commands are spotty but you can seek on the radio with those, I believe. And I'm surprised that a Lexus or a Toyota doesn't have a storage spot for coins, or retained accessory power after the ignition has been switched off. Similarly, the window lock feature is generally very easy-to-use.

Last edited by encore888; 07-17-05 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-17-05, 07:30 PM
lexusdr
Rookie

I am sorry but for you to drop $50k after a 15 min drive is insane. I researched for almost 3 months before buying. Having said that, my dad has an Escalade and the plasticy interior is enough to drive me nuts. All the controls and layout just screams GM plastic parts bin. But to each his own

My Website
Old 07-17-05, 07:34 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi 89,

Sorry to hear you feel this way about your GX. If you just purchased it, you should be able to get a refund from your dealer. For $50K you shouldn't have to "grow" into the vehicle, the vehicle should fit you like a glove and in this case, it doesn't. Hopefully your Lexus dealer will be able to grant you a refund.

On the other hand just a few notes regarding you issues:

#1 - No defense, this is a lost cause for NON KDSS equipped GX's, I don't have one, and I'm still on the fence whether or not, I'll miss it.

#2 - Lateral support, not too sure what you mean by that?

#3 - Brakes - I didn't notice any problems with it?

#4 - Knock on wood hasn't happpened to me yet....

#5 - I Agree button - MODs are available to take care of this issue, www.coastaletech.com

#6 - Radio **** - non issue for me, but don't forget you have controls on steering column

#9 - Seat presets - Don't understand, are referring to starting the engive before this will work? If, so, I'm used to it.

#10 - Downshifts when going downhill, - no comment as there is no fix I know of

#11 - Lower car seat anchors - Latch(?) child seat anchors? Not too sure why this makes a difference for you if it is in the middle?

#12 - No retained power when key is off - 15 year Toyota/Nissan owner, totally used to it, by design.

#13 - Window lock won't work from driver's side when in "locked" mode - 15 year Toyota/Nissan owner, totally used to it, by design. (BTW - American cars, Ford/Cadilac allowed this...)

#14 - Change holder - missing, agreed, should have had one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 - Voice command - one word SUCKS!

Whew!!!! You definately had a lot of points, and believe it or not, as you can see, I agree with some of them. Personally because I have been a Nissan/Toyota owner all these years, I've gotten used to it. Obviously, as a first time "foreign" car owner you should be surprised at some of the settings, that we take for granted.

Good luck!
Old 07-17-05, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The reason your GX has more body roll than an Escalade is because an Escalade is both high and WIDE, giving it more of a measure of stability, whereas a GX ( like the Toyota 4-Runner it is based on ) is high and NARROW, thus effectively raising the center of gravity. This, combined with the somewhat softer suspension expected in a Lexus SUV, is a perfect set-up for body roll. A partial cure for this, of course, would be lowering the vehicle and/or giving it a stiffer suspension, but not only would that cost a lot of money but it would stiffen up the ride as well....maybe to a level you would find uncomfortable.

To an extent, consider this a learning experience. One look at the high, narrow GX .....even before you test-drive it.......should suggest to almost anyone who has passed elementary grade school science that there will be at least some tippiness in the corners.
Old 07-17-05, 07:59 PM
loflin
Pole Position

1. Body roll: I have KDSS, so can't comment, no problem w/KDSS

3. Brakes: Myself, my wife and my teenage son all drive. Never noticed anything. I really think you will adjust to this in a day (unless there is a problem).

4. Thump: Don't have

5. I Agree button: Totally agree, HOWEVER, the NAV system is light years ahead of my new Benz (which BTW does NOT require an I Agree button press).

6. Tuning ****: Use the up down on the steering wheel, also touch screen for Audio selection

7. Passenger seat power tilt: YES IT DOES

8. Power Plugs off with car off: Yes, I agree, but different cars are diff, on my new Benz the horn doesn't even honk with the key out! However, I did ask my service guy once on a previous Lexus and he thought Service could change that (perhaps via making a jumper in the fuse box). I never pursued it, though.

9. Seat Memory buttons working before key on: YES IT DOES, open the door, hit the button

10. Downshifts: Haven't really noticed, I actually usually downshift manually anyway (old habit).

12. Retained accessory power: Agree liked that on my GMC (about the ONLY thing!). Haven't ever had it on any other makes, though.

13. Window lock button: Hmmm, all my cars (different makes) have worked this way.

14. No change holder: We don't have toll roads here (yet), not really an issue, though wife does throw the drive thru change just in the cupholder!

15. Voice command function: We consider more entertainment, we play it kinda like a charades game! For me, the reco is not too bad, but of course if anyone else is in the car, you have to tell everyone to shut up, so pointless

Not trying to argue with you. But there are at least a couple you need to look at again (or I misunderstood, or there is a problem with yours).
Old 07-17-05, 08:37 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

89Vette, everything you mentioned is pure personal perference, not a problem or a defect. Can't even believe that you drove this vehicle for 15 minutes and bought it and now want to talk personal nits??? You will take a bath on it if you try and trade it and there is no way the dealer will take it back. If you have only had it for a couple of days the dealer might let you swap it for one with KDDS. Personally I have not had a American car for over 30 years but if I was going to get one I would need to drive it for a couple of days to see if I could live with it. Good luck.
Old 07-18-05, 05:52 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Imagine that...No mention of the barn door, which is why I purchased an LX instead. I'm not a GX owner, so I can't comment on all of these issues. That said, I saw a mention of the Escalade, and I must chime in on this. I own a 2004 Lexus LX470 and a 2003 GMC Denali (which is essentially an Escalade). I can tell you that it is my opinion that the Lexus is sooooo much nicer than the Denali inside. I actually do like the Denali and wish my LX had half the power of the Denali. But, once you're inside and driving, there really is no comparison. GM uses the cheapest material on the planet to finish off their interiors, and it shows! The Lexus is in a different stratosphere, in terms of luxury. I am sorry to hear you're despising a vehicle you just spent so much money on.

John from Boston
Old 07-18-05, 07:16 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Escalades alot.......they can look really cool with after-market wheels.

BUT

I betcha Escalades are in the shop alot more than a Lexus.

I have been in the transportation business since 1979 and the Toyotas hold up much much better than any American make by far.

And in Dallas at least.... there are 4 Escalades at every stop light.

It's nice to be a little different and be in a GX.

Good luck with your GX.........btw.....you may give it a little time........I know sometimes when I get something new I tend to "over blow and micro every little thing"......and after awhile I am like "what was I thinking"?

Please give us an update in a couple of months.

Old 07-18-05, 09:18 AM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by loflin
1. Body roll: I have KDSS, so can't comment, no problem w/KDSS

3. Brakes: Myself, my wife and my teenage son all drive. Never noticed anything. I really think you will adjust to this in a day (unless there is a problem).

You are probably right about this. They are very touchy and the front tends to "dive" even at the slightest brake depressions.

4. Thump: Don't have

Your lucky. This will drive me insane. My first Hummer (03) had it and my 05 had it. The fix was a nickel coated driveshaft yoke.

5. I Agree button: Totally agree, HOWEVER, the NAV system is light years ahead of my new Benz (which BTW does NOT require an I Agree button press).

Silly indeed but at least there is a fix as mentioned.

6. Tuning ****: Use the up down on the steering wheel, also touch screen for Audio selection

If you want to manually seek for stations (not pre-sets).

7. Passenger seat power tilt: YES IT DOES

The back tilts but not the bottom cushion.

8. Power Plugs off with car off: Yes, I agree, but different cars are diff, on my new Benz the horn doesn't even honk with the key out! However, I did ask my service guy once on a previous Lexus and he thought Service could change that (perhaps via making a jumper in the fuse box). I never pursued it, though.

9. Seat Memory buttons working before key on: YES IT DOES, open the door, hit the button

Mine does not do this. Maybe the dealer can set it.

10. Downshifts: Haven't really noticed, I actually usually downshift manually anyway (old habit).

Just a goofy feeling when you are not used to it. I guess I don't like automtic intervention.

12. Retained accessory power: Agree liked that on my GMC (about the ONLY thing!). Haven't ever had it on any other makes, though.

Very nice feature

13. Window lock button: Hmmm, all my cars (different makes) have worked this way.

Not GM. Even when locked the driver has all the control. If the windows are down in the back, I can wind them up and the kids can't hold their fingers on the button to override me.

14. No change holder: We don't have toll roads here (yet), not really an issue, though wife does throw the drive thru change just in the cupholder!

15. Voice command function: We consider more entertainment, we play it kinda like a charades game! For me, the reco is not too bad, but of course if anyone else is in the car, you have to tell everyone to shut up, so pointless

I agree.

Not trying to argue with you. But there are at least a couple you need to look at again (or I misunderstood, or there is a problem with yours).
See responses imbedded above.

I really like cars and usually jump out of them every 2 or three years. The Escalade never gave me any problems but my first Hummer did. I agree totally with all of you that the interior build quality of the Lexus cannot compare with anything GM is shelling out. That is supposed to change with the new GMT900 platform (Trucks, Tahoe, Denali, Escalade) but I have heard that before. Maybe I am suffering from culture shock going from brand to another brand since I have only owned GM products.

I'll give it a little more time and report back. Hopefully by then I'll be happier with it and the fuel mileage will improve from 13.
Old 07-18-05, 10:41 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Hi 89vette. We're here to help and give opinions so don't worry about being flamed.
Like what many said, the lists you mentioned are personal preferences, not mechanical/electrical defects that will render the car undrivable or a safety hazard.

I have a friend with an 04 Yukon, transmission defect at only 3000 miles
I'm not going to nor the need to defend the GX like a fanboy would.

My input on your list:
1. Body roll- I don't have kdss but when switched to even the 2nd setting, I can take 30 mph turns going at least 60. I have no problems with this I don't know how fast you want to go on a turn, but 60-70 is pretty good to me. If you need something more sportier, then the X5 and Cayenne will be a better choice, but man, those suvs are STIFF, hence allowing you to turn and corner easily!
2. Seats are very comfortable for me, but for taller-longer legged folks, they also do complain about the edge of the seat pressing on their thighs.
3. Brakes are fine for me, but if you want over the top, try the QX56. VERY TOUCHY! That's the only one I test-drove and can only compare to.
4. So far no thump/clunk issues for me.
5. I hate that stupid AGREE button also , but I've been trained me like a reaching for a banana
6. I don't think I have ever touch the radio controls below the nav screen. I use the controls on the steering wheel ALL the time and I love it. I need to put a clear overlay on those buttons b/c they're showing some wear already.
7. Passenger do have power tilt, not for height adjustment tough No problems for me. The tallest friend I have is 5'11" and he fits fine .....he has no choice.
8. No available constant power when key is removed--no problem for me. You can't even use the garage opener on an MB when there' s no key in the ignition . On a Lexus you can.
9. Yes you can. I open the door and push #1 for me, works fine
10+11: These 2 don't seem to bother me.
12. Retained accessory power is there for 30-40sec? or until when you open the door. If I take the key out and forgot to close the rear windows, still can do.
13. Window lock, no biggie.
14. Yeah no designated change holder , no biggie, I have to find other places.
15. Yeah voice command is pretty useless. I do everything manually so no issue for me.

My biggest gripe is the rear tail gate window not being able to roll down like the 4runner.
Overall, I couldn't be happier with my GX.

If you're unhappy with the GX , trade it in while it's still new. Don't be stuck with a vehicle you don't like.
Good luck.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 07-18-05 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-18-05, 11:01 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

My attempt to respond to some of these issues. IAlthough I have a Land Cruiser, many of these issues apply to me as well.

1. There is way too much body roll in this truck (non kdss). The Escalade weights a lot more than the GX yet it drives like a smaller car. It is on par or worse than my Hummer H2. I know it is an SUV and not a sports car and that it is based on a truck frame. Larger sway bars would be an easy fix for this.

- No comment since I can't speak to this and me commenting about the LC is irrelavent

2. Seats do not have enough lateral support which makes 1 even worse.

- No comment

3. What is up with these brakes? I can appreciate powerful brakes and maybe I'll get used to them but they are just over the top.

- I believe the GX as elctronic Brake force distribution which makes the brakes feel touchy. Check the website for an explanation of how this works. I noticed the same in my LC, but you quickly get used to it.

4. I have the widely discussed thump that happens when you stop or when you release the brakes after stopping.

I have said this numerous times on both this and the LX forum. You need to make sure that the drive shaft is sufficiently lubed. Not the propeller shaft, but the driveshaft. There is a grease fitting right on the driveshaft. I've tried asking the service department to do it, but I don't think they even get it. I had to get underneath there myself and do it. Once done, the problem has disappeared.

5. The I Agree button is about as silly as it gets.

- I agree

6. Not to be lazy but I feel the tuning **** on the radio is an uncomfortable reach. Usually mfgs. try to put things that are easy to reach by the driver.

- Can't really say, but I mostly use the steering wheel controls.

7. The passenger seat does not have a power tilt??????

- No comment as I have this feature on the LC

8. The phone does not charge with the car off.

Having owned both domestics and Asian cars, this is almost a cultural thing. The domestics have the power outlets wired so that they're "always hot", the Asians have it wired to the ignition so that power is off when the key is off. It's the same in my Acura.

9. When you open the door and the seat is set for your wife, you simply can't press your preset button on the door to move the seat to your position prior to entering the vehicle.

- No comment since I don't have memory seats

10. It downshifts when you go down hills and it feels like your slowing down causing you to throttle down hills. This makes the motor race because it is in a lower gear. I assume that you get used to this also.

- This is the grade logic built/hill descent feature programmed into the transmission. By shifting into a lower gear, you are using engine braking as opposed to riding (and overheating) your brakes.

11. The lower car seat anchors in the back places the carseat halfway on the middle seat and halfway on the left seat.

- No comment

12. There is no retained accessory power when you turn the key off. This is not a big deal but when it is gone you really miss it.

- Really? I have that in the LC and can't imagine that it doesn't exist in the GX. Although the retained access in my LC (and my Acura) is turned off once a door is opened. You might want to play around with it.

13. When the window lock button is pushed, the driver can only move his window. To roll down the passenger window, you have to unlock all the windows which gives the kids in the rear free reign of the windows.

- Again, I believe this is a cultural thing as to how the Asians design their cars. My Acura functions the same way.

14. No change holder? Come on.

- Agree, but we use an electronic toll collection transponder (I-Pass in Illinois) so no need for loose change.

15. The voice command function is actually comical. The accuracy rate is about one in 15. The bright side is that I know where all the coffee houses are!

- I agree wholeheartedly. A gimmick at best.

I'm not trying to be a smart-***, but really spend some time looking through the manual. It may give you further insight as to why things work a certain way.
Old 07-18-05, 02:14 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gosh i sure hope i aint wanna dose "FanBoys"!

Old 07-19-05, 05:31 AM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

I don't think anyone here is being a smart *** and I think this topic illustrates the inherent differences between Asian and American cars. I have read the some parts of the manual and have found out a few things like the offset car seat anchors are a Canadian requirement. I also discovered some more things such as:

1. The memory seat button only works if you "wake" the car up with the unlock button on the key fob. So if you walk up to the car and unlock it, open the door and press the memory button, the seat will move. After a certain period of time, this feature will disable.

2. When you park it and turn off the key, you can still work the sunroof but if I remember right not the windows. Also I noticed while driving with the sunroof open, if moves back and forth on its own depending on speed. I have to read about this in the manual.

As far as the handling goes, I notice the roll more on the winding, hilly roads here in Western, PA. It tends to skid around tight bends. Bigger sway bars and maybe better tires would help this.

My wife and I went to the dealer last night to turn my lease into a buy so I had the freedom to sell it. I think the fact that I felt "stuck" for 39 months made me hate this car even more. I only leased one car before and I swore I'd never do it again. I felt as if a big weight was lifted off of me. I had to drop off the Escalade for a trade. We told the general manager how much we dislike the car and how unhappy we were and tried to get them to take it back. He offered to take it back to trade for another Lexus like a LX or a KDSS equipped GX. I even offered him a $1000 cash to walk away. He was under a lot of pressure because me wife became very emotional at the thought of giving up her car for the GX. So as a result, we became the first couple to leave this Lexus dealer unhappy about our purchase and my wife crying. What a sight. The guy that sold me the car gave me some tips on how to get rid of it.

Hopefully the new Escalade coming out next year will be to our liking and with the very good resale value of the GX, we can pass the vehicle on to someone that will enjoy it for many years.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Last edited by 89vette; 07-19-05 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-19-05, 06:20 AM
Matters
Pole Position

I understand your culture shock.

My friends with GM products think I'm crazy for paying so much for car with a smaller engine, smaller body and less features.

But when I look at General Motors products I can't understand how people can stomach the mediocre plastics and bad paint. I've tried I really have, but I just can't do it.

I know that the Japanese cars often come with less features (I don't know why) but I am seduced by their build quality and the inherent cohesiveness of their design.

There's never just one perfect car is there? There always seems to be something missing in the mix.

I guess I'm just going to have to compromise, until such time that I can buy a Japanese bult Honda engined 5.7 litre V-Tec, Mercedes exterior designed, Lexus interior designed, with GM/Ford conveniences sports/suv/luxury car.

So as the other dude said: "horses for courses".

Quick Reply: I hate my new GX