GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

03 GX to 06 LX initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05, 08:47 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 GX to 06 LX initial impressions

Just picked up an 06 LX470 this passed Sunday and traded in my 03 GX. I had some really good memories with the GX and I'm surely going to miss that truck.

Here are some subtle differences between the GX and LX. At the time of this writing I have only 300miles on the LX.

Steering is a bit faster or more responsive on the LX than on the GX. This could be from the VGRS (Variable Gear Ratio Steering System) or slightly lower profile tires.

The ride comfort is very similar. They are both quiet and rides like a true premium luxury truck. However, on freeway dips the GX tend to bottom out in the rear causing a jolt, on the other hand the LX doesn't seem to bottom out, it just glides through the dip.

Brake Pedal feel is a lot better on the 06 LX than on the 03 GX. The GX always had a soft pedal making it feel that you will not be able to stop in time, I tried bleeding it several times but to no avail. On the 04 + GX , Lexus changed the Master Cylinder probably to stiffen the pedal up, I haven't driven an 04 GX to give any conclusions.

I miss the dark gray interior of the GX (LX has light gray). Therefore, it might be harder to keep clean on the LX.

For some reason I prefer the swing out tail gate on the GX than on the LX. It seems that the lower half of the tail gate on the LX is always in my way when getting stuff out.

GX hands down has the power advantage over the LX. The LX just dosen't pull as hard and the transmission is constantly down shifting to keep the truck at speed. I know it still needs to be broken in but I don't see it getting noticably better.

That is it for now. Off roading impressions coming soon.

Regards,
Charleston
Attached Thumbnails 03 GX to 06 LX  initial impressions-158_5832ssss.jpg  
Old 07-13-05, 08:49 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

No VVT-i badge! I got ripped off!!
Attached Thumbnails 03 GX to 06 LX  initial impressions-158_5830ssss.jpg  
Old 07-13-05, 08:51 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

interior shot
Attached Thumbnails 03 GX to 06 LX  initial impressions-158_5827ssss.jpg  
Old 07-13-05, 08:55 AM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

front shot
Attached Thumbnails 03 GX to 06 LX  initial impressions-158_5831ssss.jpg  
Old 07-13-05, 09:25 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CivicFerio
Just picked up an 06 LX470 this passed Sunday and traded in my 03 GX. I had some really good memories with the GX and I'm surely going to miss that truck.

Here are some subtle differences between the GX and LX. At the time of this writing I have only 300miles on the LX.

Steering is a bit faster or more responsive on the LX than on the GX. This could be from the VGRS (Variable Gear Ratio Steering System) or slightly lower profile tires.

The ride comfort is very similar. They are both quiet and rides like a true premium luxury truck. However, on freeway dips the GX tend to bottom out in the rear causing a jolt, on the other hand the LX doesn't seem to bottom out, it just glides through the dip.

Brake Pedal feel is a lot better on the 06 LX than on the 03 GX. The GX always had a soft pedal making it feel that you will not be able to stop in time, I tried bleeding it several times but to no avail. On the 04 + GX , Lexus changed the Master Cylinder probably to stiffen the pedal up, I haven't driven an 04 GX to give any conclusions.

I miss the dark gray interior of the GX (LX has light gray). Therefore, it might be harder to keep clean on the LX.

For some reason I prefer the swing out tail gate on the GX than on the LX. It seems that the lower half of the tail gate on the LX is always in my way when getting stuff out.

GX hands down has the power advantage over the LX. The LX just dosen't pull as hard and the transmission is constantly down shifting to keep the truck at speed. I know it still needs to be broken in but I don't see it getting noticably better.

That is it for now. Off roading impressions coming soon.

Regards,
Charleston

you will sure miss the better mpg in the GX congrats
Old 07-13-05, 09:35 AM
GXPrado
Driver

Nice man
Old 07-13-05, 03:03 PM
bliksem
Driver School Candidate

Very nice. I thought the 06 LXs will come with VVTi
Old 07-13-05, 03:32 PM
vipermann1
Intermediate

Default How muahc did you pay???

What everyone wants to know ...How much did you pay?

What was the sticker, what options did you get, and how mch did you pay?
Old 07-15-05, 02:29 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Doesn't the GX also have VFGS steering thingy?? I thought that it did.
Old 07-18-05, 10:56 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Awesome choice on the LX civic
Thanks for the input regarding LX vs GX, especially about how the LX can absorb the dip bettter than the GX.
Old 07-18-05, 11:05 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bliksem
Very nice. I thought the 06 LXs will come with VVTi
They do, but it's still pulling quite a bit more mass than a GX.
Old 07-18-05, 11:52 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default My impression is just from a couple test drives....

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Awesome choice on the LX civic
.............................especially about how the LX can absorb the dip bettter than the GX.
......but for some reason I felt the GX rode much HARSHER, even on surface streets, than the LX, especially when hitting potholes. The LX just seemed to glide over them like they didn't exist, whereas the GX produced a "jolty" "KHA-WHOOP....THUNK" (if you guys know what I mean)
Old 07-18-05, 11:56 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by vicpai
......but for some reason I felt the GX rode much HARSHER, even on surface streets, than the LX, especially when hitting potholes. The LX just seemed to glide over them like they didn't exist, whereas the GX produced a "jolty" "KHA-WHOOP....THUNK" (if you guys know what I mean)
Yeah the GX is more jolty, especially in the rear..........perfect description: :"khaaa-whoop.....thunk" over speed bumps and dips.
Old 07-19-05, 09:00 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Yes, the lack of travel in the rear suspension resulting in the all too frequent compression into the bumpstops, and resultant jolt and thunk, really bothers me. I've had plenty of other solid axle trucks, with less sophisticated suspensions, that did far better. My other gripe, which also plagues the LX and other Lexi, is the John Deere inspired shiftgate. I really like to row my own gears, but Lexus is obviously trying to dissuade me from doing so.

Yet, three cheers for another rear swing-out tailgate That makes a total of two fans.

Anxiously await an Offroad comparison.
Old 07-19-05, 01:25 PM
SacKen
Driver

So... out of curiosity, what made you choose the LX over the GX? Every time I look into it, it just doesn't seem like the LX offers much more except a higher price tag. Your comparison so far seems to confirm that thought.

Quick Reply: 03 GX to 06 LX initial impressions