GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Hitch, integral, 2004. Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-04, 03:52 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch, integral, 2004. Solved!

Guys,

Well, if this hasn't been an adventure, I'm not sure what is. I now have an integral--not add-on--hitch installed on my GX-470. Here's the scoop as I understand it:

Toyota is in danger of busting its CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Econony) allowance. If they do, the EPA will levy a hefty fine on each care they sell, so weight--even a few pounds--can mean millions of dollars. That's why they will not add weight to our GXs by installing a hitch on the hitch mount. It's also why you cannot get a hitch on the V8 4Runner.

Here is my tale:

I did not want an add-on hitch such as U-Haul, Hidden Hitch, etc. I wanted the integral hitch because of both looks and because of ground clearance (departure angle).

I purchased a hitch for the V6 4Runner (it's labeled as the "pintle hitch") from my Toyota dealer ($200). It replaces the hitch mount which is the drilled plate you see mounted to the frame crossmember between the spare tire and the bumper.

I took the hitch to a body shop that charged me $50 to replace the hitch mount with the hitch.

However, the lower bumper "knockout" that comes on the '04 does not clear the hitch (See my previous postings). My body shop ordered the hitch knockout from Lexus three times but kept receiving the standard 04 non-hitch (flaired) knockout.

I went to my Lexus dealer and discovered that their schematic of the rear bumber has both the flaired and the hitch knockouts, but they are the same part number. I then asked the dealer to look at the '03 schematic because I noticed that every '03 I saw had the hitch knockout but every '04 had the flaired one. On the '03 schematic the two knockouts had different part numbers. I had them order the '03. It worked!

Keep in mind the hitch is for the V6 and does not have the tow rating as does the larger one for the V8, so check with your Toyota dealer (or the Web) for the max towing capacity.

To summarize:

1. Buy a Toyota V6 hitch from a Toyota dealer.
2. Replace the hitch mount on your GX 470 with the 4Runner hitch.
3. Use a hitch knockout for a 2003 GX470 from your Lexus dealer.
That's it.

Oh, I ordered a gold Lexus hitch cover off the net. Finally, I'm a happy guy.

Last edited by bobgore; 12-03-04 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-02-04, 04:02 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch, photo

I forgot. Here is a photo of the result of my effort.
Attached Thumbnails Hitch, integral, 2004.  Solved!-toyota-hitch-on-lexus.jpg  
Old 12-02-04, 04:06 PM
CivicFerio
Pole Position

Glad to know that everything worked out for you! I also had my run around when I was hunting for an OEM Toyota/Lexus hitch. Keep us posted when you start towing something!

Charleston
Old 12-02-04, 09:04 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default Re: Hitch, integral, 2004. Solved!

Originally posted by bobgore
Guys,

Well, if this hasn't been an adventure, I'm not sure what is. I now have an integral--not add-on--hitch installed on my GX-470. Here's the scoop as I understand it:

Toyota is in danger of busting its CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Econony) allowance. If they do, the EPA will levy a hefty fine on each care they sell, so weight--even a few pounds--can mean millions of dollars. That's why they will not add weight to our GXs by installing a hitch on the hitch mount. It's also why you cannot get a hitch on the V8 4Runner.

Here is my tale:

I did not want an add-on hitch such as U-Haul, Hidden Hitch, etc. I wanted the integral hitch because of both looks and because of ground clearance (departure angle).

I purchased a hitch for the V6 4Runner (it's labeled as the "pintle hitch") from my Toyota dealer ($200). It replaces the hitch mount which is the drilled plate you see mounted to the frame crossmember between the spare tire and the bumper.

I took the hitch to a body shop that charged me $50 to replace the hitch mount with the hitch.

However, the lower bumper "knockout" that comes on the '04 does not clear the hitch (See my previous postings). My body shop ordered the hitch knockout from Lexus three times but kept receiving the standard 04 non-hitch (flaired) knockout.

I went to my Lexus dealer and discovered that their schematic of the rear bumber has both the flaired and the hitch knockouts, but they are the same part number. I then asked the dealer to look at the '03 schematic because I noticed that every '03 I saw had the hitch knockout but every '04 had the flaired one. On the '03 schematic the two knockouts had different part numbers. I had them order the '03. It worked!

Keep in mind the hitch is for the V6 and does not have the tow rating as does the larger one for the V8, so check with your Toyota dealer (or the Web) for the max towing capacity.

To summarize:

That's it.

Oh, I ordered a hitch cover off the net. Finally, I'm a happy guy.
Thank you for sharing your experience. One peice that appears to be missing is the actual part number for the 2003 "hitch knockout". I could call the dealer and ask for a 2003 hitch knockout but it would be preferrable to simply call them and tell them that I need Part Number XYZ. One other issue is matching the colors. I have a 2004 Blizzard but I think the white in 2003 was the "Sand Dollar White". How do I get a "Blizzard Pearl" 2003 hitch knockout?

Last edited by bunka; 12-02-04 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-03-04, 12:27 AM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch knockout

Bunka,

I don't have the part number (I knew I should have written it down), but at the same time I ordered it from my local dealer here in Las Vegas, I ordered one from the dealer from whom I purchased my 470, Lexus of Santa Monica (CA). Shortly after my local dealer called, I received a call from the Santa Monica dealer saying they had just received exactly what I wanted and then described the part. You can call Robin in the parts department at that dealership.

I ordered a 2003 in blizzard pearl, and that's what I got. The color match is perfect.

Bob
Old 12-03-04, 12:46 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch bumper knockout part number

Here's what's on my invoice:

VEN: SPO
PART: 5216960051A0
DESCRIPTION: *COVER, RR
BIN: SP2B

I don't think the above part number includes my color, blizzard pearl, but you need to check on that.

When I ordered my first one two weeks ago it was $64. The one I re-ordered a week and a half ago was $78. The one I got yesterday was $92. Today the dealer says they're $105. Get 'em while they're hot!

Bob

Last edited by bobgore; 12-03-04 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-03-04, 01:29 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch, Toyota V6 tow capacity

Check this out. It gives the tow ratings for everything. Since I installed the 4Runner V6 hitch on my GX 470, I assume a rating of 5,000lbs.

http://www.trailerlife.com/downloads/04towingguide.pdf
Old 12-03-04, 08:11 PM
olysomaha
Driver School Candidate

Default Hitch Cover

bobgore: Did you order the Silver/Gold hitch cover separately? I just bought the Pearl White, GX 2005 today (should have it in 2 weeks) and added the hitch to it. I loved the cover on your hitch. Do you remember which web site that you purchased it from? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-04, 10:19 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch cover

1licenseplates.com

Last edited by bobgore; 12-03-04 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-04-04, 06:49 AM
olysomaha
Driver School Candidate

Bobg: Thanks. Have a great weekend!
Old 12-05-04, 09:19 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Hitch, integral, 2004. Solved!

That's it.

Bob.....

You will need a special Ball Mount, otherwise the shank will hit the spare tire or make the ball stick out too far.

Take a look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33653

~ Cap
Old 12-06-04, 07:23 AM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Ball mount

I lucked out, I guess, because the one I already had (off a VW Touareg) fit. However, everybody else needs to know what you posted.

Thanks, Cap.
Old 12-06-04, 12:23 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ball mount

However, everybody else needs to know what you posted.
Bob....

Just click on the Hyperlink

~ Cap
Old 12-06-04, 05:00 PM
whazzup
Driver School Candidate

I actually have a friend in parts at my Lexus dealer who says I can just buy the integral hitch for $180 + 1.5 hours of labor. He said there are 2 types, but the one that is several hundred dollars is probably the weight-distributing 6500# solution. He didn't say anything about the VIN #. And he said the one I want comes with the bumper knockout. I hope this is what I need, and I hope to install it myself. Is it too optimistic to think I can bolt it on myself?
Old 12-06-04, 07:56 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch

Wazzup,

I started to install mine but gave up when I realized I needed a couple of specialized tools for the plastic. You have to either remove your bumper or at least move it away from the frame to give you enough space to work.

If you search "hitch" under the past year, you'll see that another forum member did exactly what you propose. Why don't you contact him for assistance? I'll see if I can locate that thread for you.

Bob

Quick Reply: Hitch, integral, 2004. Solved!