GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2004 GX or 2005 GX Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-04, 11:28 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 GX or 2005 GX Purchase

The 2004s on the lot are beckoning to me due to the much larger discounts I can get, instead of waiting for the 2005 which only promises minimal discounts.

However, this updated engine with the additional HP for 2005 is holding me back from just getting a leftover 2004.

My practical side says go for the cost savings with a leftover 2004, my not so practical side says go for the 2005 with the more powerful engine, KDSS and who cares about the savings.

Any comments / opinon my fellow Lexus Members?

Is KDSS worth it?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-04, 09:19 PM
thurstonh3
Driver School Candidate

I'm waiting for the extra HP......the resale will pay for the higher entry cost.
Old 09-07-04, 10:14 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm happy with 235 HP. A few more HP wouldn't be worth the bucks. I had a GS400 and now a ES330, both with VVTi engines. I can't say that VVTi makes any significant difference. If KDSS was being introduced in 2005 instead of 2004, I would have waited for it.
Old 09-08-04, 01:19 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you again for your comments.

I did notice that the 2005 LX on the Lexus Website is still sporting the same 235HP engine, so hopefully it either has to be updated or the GX will at least have the newly tweaked V8 Engine with 270HP as the Toyota 4Runner Website for 2005 already lists.

I need to learn Patience!
Old 09-12-04, 03:47 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Man, something is going on with the 2005 GX470, since the Lexus website already is updated and lists the 2005 models, ALL EXCEPT for the GX470 (listing the old 2004 info). It's the last one not updated yet, so hopefully the new changes (engine HP, etc) speculated will be true.
Old 09-12-04, 09:39 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

i don't even check out the website, i'm just waiting for the TOTALLY redesigned Gx!
Old 09-14-04, 04:03 PM
sickman
Driver School Candidate

Was offered $49.000 OTD for '04 with MLS/Nav, 3rd row seat, spoiler, tow hitch, wheel locks, cargo/mat. In my area (southern CA), this is approx $44.8 (plus tax and license) which seems to be about $500 over invoice. Itching to pull the trigger but not sure if I should wait for '05 model coming out shortly - any thoughts on getting a '05 for near this price?
Old 09-14-04, 05:38 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by sickman
Was offered $49.000 OTD for '04 with MLS/Nav, 3rd row seat, spoiler, tow hitch, wheel locks, cargo/mat. In my area (southern CA), this is approx $44.8 (plus tax and license) which seems to be about $500 over invoice. Itching to pull the trigger but not sure if I should wait for '05 model coming out shortly - any thoughts on getting a '05 for near this price?
It is tempting isn't it? My regular Lexus salesman is even solicting me now to buy one of his 04s off the lot for what he says is a significant cost savings! He mentions if you want to save money, now is the time to do it!

HOWEVER, since I'm still believing that the upgraded engine and other items in 2005 are right around the corner (would suck if they weren't - especially the engine upgrade part), I can not help but want a 2005 now and the wait is driving me crazy. You would kick yourself harder if you bought an 04 and the 05 came out a couple months later with more goodies and significant changes.

What a decision!
Old 09-14-04, 07:39 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

It's a no brainer You've got some nice wheels now so it's not like you have to make any kind of large sacrifice to wait for the 2005. I like driving a current model year car/truck for my big $$$$$ outlay. If you save some end of the model year money on a 2004, it will be a model year old in a month or so. Just my opinion though. I bought the ES330 in September of 2003 and the GX this February. Good luck with your decision!
Old 09-14-04, 08:27 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs400jon
It's a no brainer You've got some nice wheels now so it's not like you have to make any kind of large sacrifice to wait for the 2005. I like driving a current model year car/truck for my big $$$$$ outlay. If you save some end of the model year money on a 2004, it will be a model year old in a month or so. Just my opinion though. I bought the ES330 in September of 2003 and the GX this February. Good luck with your decision!
Very good points indeed! GS400jon, how do you love your GX470 and is the KDSS worth the extra money (I am a beliver in it, but never had a chance to drive a GX470 with KDSS).

You should also post photos of your GX in this thread when you have the chance!

Thanks.
Old 09-14-04, 08:50 PM
sickman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your feedback.

LexGuyNJ - I think I'm in the same boat as you - but my more practical side is winning out (at least today - who knows tomorrow!)

f I was going to buy a GX now and plan on selling it in 2 to 4 years, it would be a no-brainer to wait until the '05 model, however I will most likely keep the truck for at least 10 years, and use it as a 2nd car somewhere down the line. Thats what makes it tough!
Old 09-14-04, 08:56 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

I'm repeating myself here but the KDSS option is worth the $1750 sticker price. The truck handles the mountain curves and cross winds very securely (insist on Michelin tires). The only problem with the KDSS option is that it only came with the rear seat entertainment system and third row seating. That's about $3500, sticker price, worth of stuff I haven't used yet. The third row of seats is in my closet. You want the navigation system because of the backup camera. That camera is a dream to have. If you have it on your RX you know what I mean. The truck has no vibration, drive line clunks or tracking problems. I thought my ex GS400 was fun to drive. NO CONTEST!
Old 09-15-04, 04:10 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by sickman
Thanks for your feedback.

LexGuyNJ - I think I'm in the same boat as you - but my more practical side is winning out (at least today - who knows tomorrow!)

f I was going to buy a GX now and plan on selling it in 2 to 4 years, it would be a no-brainer to wait until the '05 model, however I will most likely keep the truck for at least 10 years, and use it as a 2nd car somewhere down the line. Thats what makes it tough!
Hey sickman, I waiver back and forth every day about the 04 vs 05 and keep checking the Lexus Website for the 2005 update for the GX (but still nothing!). It's not like the GX is being totally revamped either, just some minor upgrades (which we all speculating about). What is fishy is the 05 LX470 doesn't get the upgraded engine and pretty much is the same as the 04. If I wanted an LX, I'd go for the 04 for more savings.

However again an 04 on the lot with larger discounts and pretty much immediate delivery is very tempting isn't it? Good luck and keep us updated when you pull the trigger on your GX purchase!
Old 09-15-04, 04:13 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs400jon
I'm repeating myself here but the KDSS option is worth the $1750 sticker price. The truck handles the mountain curves and cross winds very securely (insist on Michelin tires). The only problem with the KDSS option is that it only came with the rear seat entertainment system and third row seating. That's about $3500, sticker price, worth of stuff I haven't used yet. The third row of seats is in my closet. You want the navigation system because of the backup camera. That camera is a dream to have. If you have it on your RX you know what I mean. The truck has no vibration, drive line clunks or tracking problems. I thought my ex GS400 was fun to drive. NO CONTEST!
GS400jon - ahhh this is the validation I was looking for and you are right, I hardly use the rear entertainment system in my RX now (wait until my little baby gets older). The 3rd row is a nice feature, but not needed for now, I would rather have more cargo space in the rear. Just these 2 extra features with KDSS drives the price of the GX to the limit. I want the KDSS.

By the way I also previously had a 01 GS430 with L-Tuned suspension, so I desire a sportier handling in a truck. The RX330 is nice (no performance package), but it doesn't handle that great.

Thanks again for your good info!
Old 09-17-04, 08:56 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Wait for 2005 Model Year!

Oh man C&D just posted the updated changes for Lexus (usually they are accurate). Based on the info below it is clear that I have to wait for a 2005 to see what this SPORTS PACKAGE is all about. Unfortunately the wait maybe longer since dealer still tells me December arrival.

FROM RECENT: C&D:

2005 Charting the Changes—Lexus

Lexus
October 2004

Toyota's luxury division is mostly standing pat for 2005, with changes ranging from inconsequential to minor. Apparently, Lexus doesn't need to keep up a barrage of new models since the ones it has have been setting record company sales month after month. The GX470 gets variable valve timing and a Sport package with the optional kinetic dynamic suspension system with variable hydraulic anti-roll-bar resistance. More interesting is the RX400h, which will be more powerful in four-wheel-drive form than in front-drive form, thanks to a second electric motor.

Unchanged: ES330, GS300/GS430, IS300/IS300 SportCross, LS430, SC430, LX470, RX330.

Quick Reply: 2004 GX or 2005 GX Purchase