GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 01:13 PM
JayKay1234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent bulb?

Got the H11 kit installed with no issues, I replaced the battery as well since it was getting pretty ratty. I was following the instructions in this sticky until I realized that my relays are completely different. Anyway, the lights worked without the relays so I left them as is, and everything worked for a week or so but then i noticed my driver's side was out this past weekend. I checked the connections and everything was tight, so I thought I had a day of troubleshooting ahead, but once I got home to start working on it, it turned on.

A couple questions:

1) Would adding the relays help? I didn't read thru the entire thread but XD seemed to think they're not needed so I didn't want to add a bunch of unnecessary wires.
2) Can I ground the relays to the radiator support, or will I need to hook it up to the (very crowded) existing ground in the engine bay by the lights?
3) Can I route the passenger side relay on top of the radiator mount, or will the hood close on top of the wire and flatten it?

TIA!
Old 02-27-18, 02:20 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

@JayKay1234 -- When you installed the kit, did you have to reverse polarity on the connector that plugs into the OEM headlight wiring? What you are describing sounds to be connection related... I've seen situations (and have personally had it happen) where the terminals on the conector that plug into the OE wiring aren't making solid contact. They appear to be tight because the outer plastic connectors are secure, but the terminal on the inside is actually not making a proper connection and therefore causing the light to function intermittently.

STeve
Old 02-28-18, 10:42 PM
JayKay1234
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
@JayKay1234 -- When you installed the kit, did you have to reverse polarity on the connector that plugs into the OEM headlight wiring? What you are describing sounds to be connection related... I've seen situations (and have personally had it happen) where the terminals on the conector that plug into the OE wiring aren't making solid contact. They appear to be tight because the outer plastic connectors are secure, but the terminal on the inside is actually not making a proper connection and therefore causing the light to function intermittently.

STeve
Hi Steve,

The light worked for a week and it's currently working without changing polarity. I'll check the connections again, but once I get some time, I think I'll feel better adding the relays. The only other thing I can think of is that I left all the dust/engine covers off and the GX is kept outside. Besides that, the lights look fantastic!
Old 03-01-18, 06:37 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JayKay1234
Hi Steve,

The light worked for a week and it's currently working without changing polarity. I'll check the connections again, but once I get some time, I think I'll feel better adding the relays. The only other thing I can think of is that I left all the dust/engine covers off and the GX is kept outside. Besides that, the lights look fantastic!
I would still double check the connection from the HID kit to the OEM harness. If it's a connection issue then adding a relay harness wouldn't do anything.

Danny
Old 03-22-18, 08:21 AM
jonesmw10
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed the Volt HID kit (4300k) on Tuesday and love it so far. Haven't seen the need for a relay harness. Everything works great!

Old 03-22-18, 08:24 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Sweet, thanks for posting! Enjoy your XenonDepot H11 HID kit

Steve
Old 07-24-18, 06:53 AM
TKnuts
Driver School Candidate

Default Passenger light stays on

I just installed the kit with relays in my 08 but now after about a week my passenger side light won’t turn off. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Old 07-24-18, 07:07 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TKnuts
I just installed the kit with relays in my 08 but now after about a week my passenger side light won’t turn off. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your HID kit but I believe I just replied back to your email regarding this. Since the light is not turning off even after you switch it off then it's a relay harness issue. I'll go ahead and warranty this part for you but in the meantime, you can run the HID kit without it.

Danny
Old 07-24-18, 08:40 AM
TKnuts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your HID kit but I believe I just replied back to your email regarding this. Since the light is not turning off even after you switch it off then it's a relay harness issue. I'll go ahead and warranty this part for you but in the meantime, you can run the HID kit without it.

Danny
Thanks for your help!
Old 07-24-18, 01:15 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

And this thread is over 14 years old..lol wow!

Steve
Old 08-30-18, 03:04 PM
Dasanii19
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed the low beam Phillips kit. Only driver side is turning on. Any suggestions? I can see the passenger side flicker when you first turn the head lights on. I checked all connections.
Old 08-31-18, 07:06 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dasanii19
Just installed the low beam Phillips kit. Only driver side is turning on. Any suggestions? I can see the passenger side flicker when you first turn the head lights on. I checked all connections.
Sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your install but I would be happy to further help you out. Can you send us a PM with your order info and vehicle info or send us an email to info@xenondepot.com?

Danny
Old 10-19-18, 02:03 AM
clubcaner
Driver School Candidate

oooooooooooooooooooo. very nice indeed!
Old 10-21-18, 06:32 PM
DavE713
Lead Lap

Hello XenonDepot,

I just emailed your CS team regarding driver side HID not firing up. It would turn on after turning them off and on a few times. I thought it could be loose wiring but it was not after checking them. Hope you can help!
Old 10-22-18, 06:22 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DavE713
Hello XenonDepot,

I just emailed your CS team regarding driver side HID not firing up. It would turn on after turning them off and on a few times. I thought it could be loose wiring but it was not after checking them. Hope you can help!
Sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your HID Kit but thank you for emailing us so that we can better help you out. E-mails are answered in the order we get them so we'll get back to you as soon as we can to help resolve the issue. Alternatively, you may always call us toll-free at 1-877-522-2701 during our business hours 9am-5pm est.

Danny

Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide