GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Old 04-03-12, 08:44 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
you mean the switch is set to "on" vs. "auto"?
Yup..........
Old 04-04-12, 05:41 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aaaand my drivers side didn't fire this morning. Brand new ballast and wire harness. Was working fine for couple weeks.
Old 04-04-12, 06:47 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Q
Aaaand my drivers side didn't fire this morning. Brand new ballast and wire harness. Was working fine for couple weeks.
Maybe you shouldn't use the "auto" feature?
Old 04-04-12, 07:10 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If youre usng a harness w/ your kit...the H11 factory plug is just used as a trigger, so theres no reason why the auto feature wouldnt work. If it worked before and doesnt now the problem is with the kit itself or the harness. This is why I make my own harnesses and use OEM parts.

Ive seen some pre-made harnesses come with 2x: 15amp fuses, one for the drivers and one for the passengers side...are there 2 fuses? Does your harness have a relay socket? If so, try to wiggle the wires that are connected to the pins of the relay and see if that helps.
Old 04-04-12, 09:13 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

The problem is the voltage drop when the vehicle is starting. Our kits use 2 separate harnesses (1 per side) so it wouldn't be a harness issue. The Xtreme ballasts (not volt) have a broader operating range so they are not susceptible to the voltage drop when the lights are in Auto.

Steve
Old 04-04-12, 10:22 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
The problem is the voltage drop when the vehicle is starting. Our kits use 2 separate harnesses (1 per side) so it wouldn't be a harness issue. The Xtreme ballasts (not volt) have a broader operating range so they are not susceptible to the voltage drop when the lights are in Auto.

Steve
Welcome back, Steve!

I tried to point this out to chrisvr6, but he wasn't listening!
Old 04-04-12, 07:50 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have NEVER had a problem with my extreme Kit for over 2 years, heck going on 3 years~ I always cut my lights OFF before I cut the GX off, I never leave them in auto or on as I dont want to shock the HIDS or anything else. I simply Love my HIDS every morning I fire them up
Old 04-04-12, 09:38 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyah
I have NEVER had a problem with my extreme Kit for over 2 years, heck going on 3 years~ I always cut my lights OFF before I cut the GX off, I never leave them in auto or on as I dont want to shock the HIDS or anything else. I simply Love my HIDS every morning I fire them up
I believe I'm at around 6 months now and am extremely pleased with my XD kit with the Philips 4300K bulbs. I even have my headlights set to ON all the time so whenever the car starts, the headlights turn on and automatically shut off when I open the door after the key's removed from ignition. When the engine's firing, my HIDs are lit.
Old 04-05-12, 05:47 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Steve
So, why only drivers side not firing? i was told by you to purchase the harness and it didn't help me. Is there a way i can exchange the volt kit for extreme kit?
Old 04-05-12, 05:53 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

exchange the volt kit for extreme kit?
Seriously, Volt $$ vs Extreme $$$ and you expect an even exchange?

How about "Manually" turning lights on/off? Or maybe there's something wrong with existing wiring?

Last edited by redrocks; 04-05-12 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-05-12, 06:18 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

So, why only drivers side not firing? i was told by you to purchase the harness and it didn't help me. Is there a way i can exchange the volt kit for extreme kit?
Not sure about what you mean by 'harness'... Are you using a relay set up now where battery supplies power directly to ballast (when kicked on by relay connected to OEM harness)? If not, doing so should eliminate your issue completely.

If using a relay, then my next question would be age/condition of your battery (if over 4 years old you're done). Most parts stores will test for free and you'll want a load test done on it...

Good luck
Old 04-05-12, 06:40 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Chris,

It could be the way the vehicle distributes power when it's starting. Please send me a Pm with your contact number and i will give you a call. I will do my best to work with you on this.

Steve
Old 04-05-12, 06:46 AM
RCsGX
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Not sure about what you mean by 'harness'...
By harness he means a relay harness that he bought with the kit.
Old 04-05-12, 06:51 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Chris,

It could be the way the vehicle distributes power when it's starting. Please send me a Pm with your contact number and i will give you a call. I will do my best to work with you on this.

Steve

Once again, Steve is going beyond the call of duty to "ensure customer satisfaction"!

BurgBoxter had a good suggestion on the battery.
Old 04-05-12, 01:33 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

New battery in december. I have been using hidxtra's kit with no problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide