GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 07:03 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joel888
Tony, how do you know when the calibration process begins? Is it when you reconnect the battery, the window buttons will start to blink thereby telling us that we can start calibration?
If I remember correctly, I held down the window lock button for a few seconds until the little LEDs on the window buttons blinked. Then I rolled the window down and back up.
Old 06-16-05, 08:00 AM
Joel888
Driver

Originally Posted by yaro1
If I remember correctly, I held down the window lock button for a few seconds until the little LEDs on the window buttons blinked. Then I rolled the window down and back up.
Thanks Yaro.
Old 06-16-05, 04:54 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Joel

Sorry Joel havent been on this site for couple of days. Ok the H11 OEM harness is the plug that connects the car to the bulbs. If you look in the pictures its a grey square piece that connects to the light. You only need to connect the driver's side OEM harness to the Xenondepot kit. The passenger side you just tape up with electrical tape to keep it waterproof. The kit has an H11 adapter there is only one that will fit the OEM H11 harness on the driver's side. You cant go wrong because its a male/female connection and size specific. THe Xenondepot kit H11 adapter is a wire off of the relay if I can remember right.

AS far as calibrating the windows as soon as you plug in the battery you will see the window leds on each door blink in sequence start with the sunroof. Then the driver side door then the front passenger door then back doors. Watch for blinking LED lights.

Joel I did not drill or cut or do anything everything fit fine. The relay has a mounting hole that I widened to fit the screw on the sidewall of the car but that was it.
Old 06-16-05, 06:54 PM
Joel888
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by Tony
Sorry Joel havent been on this site for couple of days. Ok the H11 OEM harness is the plug that connects the car to the bulbs. If you look in the pictures its a grey square piece that connects to the light. You only need to connect the driver's side OEM harness to the Xenondepot kit. The passenger side you just tape up with electrical tape to keep it waterproof. The kit has an H11 adapter there is only one that will fit the OEM H11 harness on the driver's side. You cant go wrong because its a male/female connection and size specific. THe Xenondepot kit H11 adapter is a wire off of the relay if I can remember right.

AS far as calibrating the windows as soon as you plug in the battery you will see the window leds on each door blink in sequence start with the sunroof. Then the driver side door then the front passenger door then back doors. Watch for blinking LED lights.

Joel I did not drill or cut or do anything everything fit fine. The relay has a mounting hole that I widened to fit the screw on the sidewall of the car but that was it.
Thanks Tony. It is clear now. Too bad I couldn't install it this evening coz it was pouring outside. Hopefully I can install it tomorrow, really can't wait any longer.
Old 06-17-05, 08:53 PM
Joel888
Driver

Smile I Did It !!!!

Tony,

I did it. This Xenondepot HID kit is awesome. It took me a bit over an hour for installation tonight, but the end result is simply BRIGHT.

Thank you Tony for your detailed DIY guide which inspire me to buy this kit and attempt to install. And now I will be able to see better at night, and the HID headlights compliment my GX and makes it that much more luxurious.
Old 06-19-05, 06:01 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Glad you like them and got them on

Nothing beats HIDS and the kit is sweet. Congratulations on install it is pretty easy.
Old 06-20-05, 07:16 PM
Joel888
Driver

Tony, I think I may have to re-do the driver side ballast. Currently it was double-side taped to the same place you shown underneath the headlamps, but I did not find any place to strape it securely. I am afraid it will fall off one bumpy roads.

Other than that I am extremely pleased with the HID lights.
Old 06-20-05, 09:04 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Joel

Joel you should easily find two existing holes from the factory for that ledge and use zip cords to help the double sided tape secure the driver's side ballast. I would not just use double sided tape by itself due to the high temperatures in the engine compartment which may soften the glue on the double sided tape and make it fall.
Old 06-20-05, 10:09 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Tony,

Don't know if I mentioned this on a previous post or not, BUT in the 05' model, the holes you were/are referring to are gone... I had to use some twist tie and jury rig it onto another "bolt"... On the 05' model the holes are used already for some wires, I definately spoke to Steve at Xenon Depot regarding this to keep him in the loop...

Sorry, I should have told you also...

PS. If I have time this weekend, I'll open up the hood again and try to take some pictures and maybe re-mount...

Joel, please definately do NOT just use double stick tape, it will NOT hold...
Old 06-21-05, 07:41 AM
Joel888
Driver

Originally Posted by Tony
Joel you should easily find two existing holes from the factory for that ledge and use zip cords to help the double sided tape secure the driver's side ballast. I would not just use double sided tape by itself due to the high temperatures in the engine compartment which may soften the glue on the double sided tape and make it fall.
Tony, there were no holes in my 05 GX. There was one hole there but was occupied by a rubber fastener for some wires. I am now thinking of straping the ballast with the zip cords to the big round wires to secure the mount.
Old 06-21-05, 07:44 AM
Joel888
Driver

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
Hi Tony,

Don't know if I mentioned this on a previous post or not, BUT in the 05' model, the holes you were/are referring to are gone... I had to use some twist tie and jury rig it onto another "bolt"... On the 05' model the holes are used already for some wires, I definately spoke to Steve at Xenon Depot regarding this to keep him in the loop...

Sorry, I should have told you also...

PS. If I have time this weekend, I'll open up the hood again and try to take some pictures and maybe re-mount...

Joel, please definately do NOT just use double stick tape, it will NOT hold...
lonewolf, thanks and i am gonna to remount the ballast this week. I also don't feel it is safe to use just the supplied double side tapes to mount it, so I used a whole bunch of black electric tapes to tape it, but for long run i know i have to remount it securely.
Old 06-22-05, 07:06 PM
Joel888
Driver

Default Finally I Remounted The Ballast

I finally remounted the driver side ballast this evening. At first I tried to strap it to the thicker electric wire underneath the headlamps, but the straps were all too short to tie it securely. Finally I gave up on that spot Tony suggested in his DIY guide. Instead I double-side taped the ballast to the driver-side inside wall (where the relay and ground are) where there is just enough space to place there. After the battery was placed back, the ballast is hidden.

I think this spot is more safe for the ballast (rather than what Tony's install suggested) since '05 GX do not have the 2 holes to tie the plastic straps to begin with.

I am glad that I re-do this sooner rather than later coz the ballast was already loose today after 5 days of driving. Who knows what will happen if I did not remount it this week...maybe it will fall off.

Now I can sleep better...
Old 08-17-05, 12:41 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

One of my DRL brunt out.
How do they change the DRL?
Should I unplug the wire to the H11 bulb before I drop off the car?
Old 08-17-05, 02:44 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default I wouldnt do anything

I wouldnt worry about your HID kit being in there just to change out your DRL bulb. My service techs at my dealership never noticed I had a hid kit in the truck. I had to mention it to them after they were done working on the GX at the service intervals and they all thought it came from the factory with HIDS. No one said anything about voiding your warranty.
Old 08-23-05, 05:34 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

I told the service manager about my HID kit and he wrote “Be careful with the HID wires” on the service note.
Got the DRL fixed under warranty.

Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide