GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 05:28 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Aside from the looks, here are just a couple of advantages:

What are the advantages of XENON HID technology over traditional halogen bulbs?

More light output
A 35-Watt XENON HID lamp produces up to 3x the lumens at the light source when compared to a 55-Watt halogen bulb.

Whiter light
While the halogen light appears yellowish, the XENON HID lighting system produces a light that is closer to that of natural sunlight.

Increased Visibility
In most nighttime driving/bad weather situations, this combination of a whiter color and a greater light output allows for a safer and more illuminated drive.

Reduced power consumption
XENON HID lamp systems draw significantly less power from your vehicles electrical system.

Greater product life
XENON HID lamp systems are designed to outlast your vehicle. On average these bulbs will last 3-5 times longer than a traditional halogen bulb.

Distinctiveness
Your vehicle will not only have the latest in automotive lighting technologies, but will also have that unique eye-catching appeal.
Old 12-15-04, 05:44 PM
MarcP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to ask a stupid question - I've searched and can't find an answer - I want to get the H11 kit for my GX when it arrives but thought I heard somewhere that xenon's run hotter and there is a possibility of melting your lamp housing??? Is this just pure crap or was there some sort of issue with this in the past?
Old 12-16-04, 05:50 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hello,

HID bulbs do not burn significantly hotter than you standard halogen bulbs given that they operate on 35W whereas your stock halogens operate on 55W.

Regards,

Steve
Old 12-16-04, 08:52 AM
GX4Life
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have piaa h11 bulbs? Or is everyone with the xenons? I think the Piaa Xtreme Force looks pretty sweet.
Old 12-16-04, 03:09 PM
lyxxsx1
Driver

Steve (XenonDepot),

I just place my order for the 4300K HID kit, can you please tell me yourrecommnendation for the 9005 Hi beam bulbs which offer the best match for the HID?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-16-04, 03:14 PM
rjfiore1
Driver

Sorry, I just never had seen the need for bi-xenon, but I definitely think that the fogs (H3) should maybe have an incandescent type bulb, such as silver star.
Old 12-16-04, 04:19 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hello Sir,

If you ordered a 4300k kit than I would suggest ordering a 4300k kit for the high beams. If you regularly flash your high beams I would not suggest upgrading to HID for several reasons:

1) HID bulbs take several seconds to warm up and reach their desired light output. In situations when you need to flash someone your HID high beams would not be very useful.

2) It is strenuous on the bulbs and ballasts to have them turn on/off/on/off repeatedly (flashing someone).

Having said all that, we have sold many customers conversion kits for their high beams however these customers live in the country and primarily use their high beams for long distances as opposed to flashing..

Regards,

Steve
Old 12-16-04, 04:43 PM
lyxxsx1
Driver

Originally posted by XenonDepot
Hello Sir,

If you ordered a 4300k kit than I would suggest ordering a 4300k kit for the high beams. If you regularly flash your high beams I would not suggest upgrading to HID for several reasons:

1) HID bulbs take several seconds to warm up and reach their desired light output. In situations when you need to flash someone your HID high beams would not be very useful.

2) It is strenuous on the bulbs and ballasts to have them turn on/off/on/off repeatedly (flashing someone).

Having said all that, we have sold many customers conversion kits for their high beams however these customers live in the country and primarily use their high beams for long distances as opposed to flashing..

Regards,

Steve

Steve,

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear on my question. No, I do not flash my hi beam regularly. I just want to upgrade my Halogen hi beam 9005 bulbs to better match the 4300K HID instead of the OEM yellowish bulbs. (more for cosmetic look). I have no need to upgrade my Hi beam to HID.

Would you recommend any of PIAA's bulbs?

Thanks again,
Old 12-17-04, 07:02 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hello Sir,

To be honest with you, I am not very familiar with the various Halogen bulbs currently available in the market. The only suggestion I can make from experience is not to go with anything above 60W. The higher wattage bulbs will be brighter however they will also melt your OEM headlight harness.

Steve
Old 12-17-04, 07:48 AM
AgentWD-40
Driver

If you just want whiter looking bulbs try Sylvania SilverStar +30% bulbs or Osram SivlerStar +50% bulbs. They are both whighter and brighter than stock. The Sylvania brand bulbs have a blueish tint to them to give them a hyper white look that is probably similar to HID. The Osram bulbs are whighter than stock also, but they don't have the blue tint on them to they are just a whiter because they are brighter. Both bulbs should be brighter than stock.

www.casporttouring.com for the Osram bulbs or www.suvlights. You can find the Sylvania ones at the auto parts store.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...ory_Code=osram <--that is a direct link to the Osram bulbs

Last edited by AgentWD-40; 12-17-04 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-28-04, 10:24 PM
lyxxsx1
Driver

Finally, with the help of Tony's excellent DIY guide, I, too, installed the 4300K HID kit from XenonDepot. Thank you Tony for the awesome instructions.
Old 12-29-04, 10:18 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Iysxxx

Im glad you were able to understand the instructions and they helped you. What color did you go with.
Old 12-29-04, 11:21 AM
lyxxsx1
Driver

Originally Posted by Tony
Im glad you were able to understand the instructions and they helped you. What color did you go with.
Tony,

If you mean the HID kit color, I got the 4300K. I prefer briter lights instead the blink effects. My baby is Black w/ Tan interios.
Old 01-04-05, 12:22 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hello,

Not sure if this is the proper spot to post this however thought you guys may be interested:

www.XenonDepot.com

Rules: http://www.xenondepot.com/pxp.php

Regards,

Steve
Old 01-05-05, 10:42 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Defintion of luminance vs lumens by Sylvania

Luminance is different from lumen (the basic measure of light output). The definition of luminance is the amount of visible light on a point on a surface in a given direction or increased light in the most important spots on the road while driving. Higher Luminance is achieved through increased control of the filament and, overall, control of the light coming off of the filament. Light output (lumens) isn't increased but the light is made more useful.

This is why the 6000k kit looks so good on signs and street reflector markers. The 4300k kit puts out more lumens but the 6000k kit has higher luminance. Both are way better than standard halogens from the factory.

I have had 4300k, 5000k and 6000k and I noticed the 6000k really lights up the street signs and freeway markers or anything that reflects back also known as highre luminance output.

Just interesting to see a defintion about lighting thought I would share.

Quick Reply: GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide