GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

SAIS Bypass Kit Experience/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 12:48 PM
wombat55
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SAIS Bypass Kit Experience/Questions

Heard high pitched fan/pump noise a couple of times at startup. The the VSC/CEL lights came on. Went to autozone and pulled P1441/P1444 codes (secondary air injection system valve #2, bank 1 and bank 2 stuck open. Went into limp mode on way home. Have read a lot of the posts here. Sounds like an OEM fix is very expensive and tough to justify for a 2006 GX with 145,000 miles even though I love the car.

Looked at the Hewitt-Tech Plug and Play SAIS Bypass Kit online. Looks like a pretty straight forward install. A couple of questions for anyone who may have installed this Kit. I live in Illinois. Will the lights come back on when the cold weather returns? Will I be able to pass emission inspection (just passed in last month so I'm good for 2 years).

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.
Old 08-24-18, 11:15 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

From what ive read.. regarding your first question is.... the by pass kit simply stops the pump for running during the initial start up.. say 10-15 seconds i believe. After the 10-15 seconds the car doesnt need it on anymore to speed up the cat... the only thing im not sure is if the amount of time changes based off the outside temp.

I too would like to know if I can pass smog with this kit since im in California
Old 08-25-18, 05:16 AM
wombat55
Rookie

Went ahead and ordered it and will report back on experience after installation. Hopefully I won't have any cold weather experience for a couple of months.
Old 09-20-18, 05:10 AM
wombat55
Rookie

Installed SAIS bypass. All lights gone. Truck running like old self. Very happy with money saved for 12 year old vehicle.
Old 09-20-18, 07:49 AM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Hewitt kit as well -- worked brilliantly.
Old 09-20-18, 08:43 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

You guys have pictures of your install? Post em up to see how discrete it is
Old 09-20-18, 10:02 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat55
Installed SAIS bypass. All lights gone. Truck running like old self. Very happy with money saved for 12 year old vehicle.

Did you have to install the block off plate?
Old 09-20-18, 07:58 PM
gwebster
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wombat55
If you installed the plates, you should not have any issues and should pass emissions since the pump won’t run. I just installed the kit as I had the same code which indicated that the valve was stuck opened. However, mine did not go into limp mode and after resetting the CEL it worked fine with no issues for a week which means the valves closed. I quickly installed the kit while it was was operating normally because when I inspected the location where the plates needed to be inserted, the bolts were completely rusted and I would have had to drill them out. Therefore, I installed my kit without plates. If the valve was stuck opened, and vehicle was in limp mode plates would be mandatory. I love TOYOTA products, but how this SAIS system ever made it through the design phase and into production is beyond me!
Old 09-21-18, 06:59 AM
wombat55
Rookie

Yes, installed block off plates for the reason gwebster mentioned.
Old 09-21-18, 07:34 AM
JLee50
Driver

Originally Posted by gwebster

If you installed the plates, you should not have any issues and should pass emissions since the pump won’t run. I just installed the kit as I had the same code which indicated that the valve was stuck opened. However, mine did not go into limp mode and after resetting the CEL it worked fine with no issues for a week which means the valves closed. I quickly installed the kit while it was was operating normally because when I inspected the location where the plates needed to be inserted, the bolts were completely rusted and I would have had to drill them out. Therefore, I installed my kit without plates. If the valve was stuck opened, and vehicle was in limp mode plates would be mandatory. I love TOYOTA products, but how this SAIS system ever made it through the design phase and into production is beyond me!
Mine failed at 197k miles..it's really not that bad of a lifespan.

Mine did go into limp mode and felt like a damn 80 series, lol
Old 11-04-18, 04:48 PM
Ropeman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have any of you guys who did the SAIS live in CA and got a smog test? Did it pass? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-18, 07:24 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

dont quote me on this however the SAIS simply injects air into the cat converter to assist in catalyzing the exhaust fumes when the cats are cold... Also aids in speeding up the warming up processes of cold cats. So regarding CA Smog.. once the car is fully warmed up ( with or without the bypass) it will function the same and your NO/emissions readings will be the same as usual.

The ONLY thing i can think of is them failing you for visual inspection.. or simply put tampering of emissions equipment. so hide them well.
The following users liked this post:
Ropeman (11-05-18)
Old 11-13-18, 11:31 AM
blackoutt
Driver School Candidate

^^^ Yep cold startup only so take it to emissions warm. The only thing it could fail is a visual if the tech is smart enough to catch it but just route it cleanly and no one will notice.
Old 11-15-18, 11:27 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

So this stuff is all new to me... I have code P1445 which means the valve stuck closed. Should I plan to install the plates or not? Thank you
Old 11-15-18, 11:29 AM
JLee50
Driver

Originally Posted by NTH
So this stuff is all new to me... I have code P1445 which means the valve stuck closed. Should I plan to install the plates or not? Thank you
I would install them anyway just to cover all the bases, though if they are stuck closed you may be able to get away without it. You can reach them from the wheelwell -- I just pulled the splash guards, didn't have to jack the vehicle up or remove wheels. I am lifted a little, though.

If it's not rusty, it's super easy.

Quick Reply: SAIS Bypass Kit Experience/Questions