GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear Axle Whine

Old 02-23-12, 08:19 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stuhrw
a 4 wheel drive truck.
You're hearing the transfer case gears. They're directly under your butt.
Old 02-23-12, 09:46 PM
Ancient
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put your hand on the short gear shift lever, low range lever, you can feel it vibrate, which is normal. This goes to the transfer case. I have an 08, 60,000 miles. That slight howl, on an off the gas is normal.
Old 02-24-12, 08:24 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a tsb for this. mann777 put up a link once. its a droning due to a dampener or something mine started doing this recently too.
Old 02-24-12, 08:40 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is whisper quiet off throttle, going downhill.
Old 02-24-12, 03:10 PM
stuhrw
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Mine is whisper quiet off throttle, going downhill.
Yeah....that's it. Thanks, guys. I feel better now! I'll check out the TSB as well.
Old 02-24-12, 05:59 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah....that's it. Thanks, guys. I feel better now! I'll check out the TSB as well.
i too have at tires.... quiet
Old 12-28-13, 10:48 AM
stuhrw
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Whining Update

Update.......Well, I'm up to 90K miles now and the whine is still there. It has changed a little bit though. The most pronounced whining is still between 60-65 mph under deceleration, same as the day I bought the vehicle. However, the same whine now occurs between 75-77 mph under light throttle. If I lift or accelerate, the whine goes away. Its really not that loud and more of a irritant than anything, especially on long trips. I just find it odd that I can adjust my speed to 78 mph and its completely gone. Also, just started to notice the driveline clunk during stopping. Not really worried about that though.

I did take the vehicle in to get looked at by Lexus. As I still have a complete powertrain warranty, I was confident they would find something amiss. The mechanic called me and said he couldn't hear anything during diagnosis. So, I went into the dealership and drove it with him sitting shotgun. When I pointed out the whine, he laughed it off. Told me that although the GX is a luxury vehicle, it is built on the 4runner platform and chassis. They are "machines and make noise". The GX is so quiet, you just hear more things than you normally would. To be honest, I tend to agree with him, especially since I was willing to cough up the $$ for repairs if needed.

Anyway, the GX still runs like a champ. I will be doing the timing belt and water pump within the next 10K miles.
Old 08-23-22, 12:45 PM
BzzrBeater
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by stuhrw;[url=tel:8299582
8299582[/url]]Update.......Well, I'm up to 90K miles now and the whine is still there. It has changed a little bit though. The most pronounced whining is still between 60-65 mph under deceleration, same as the day I bought the vehicle. However, the same whine now occurs between 75-77 mph under light throttle. If I lift or accelerate, the whine goes away. Its really not that loud and more of a irritant than anything, especially on long trips. I just find it odd that I can adjust my speed to 78 mph and its completely gone. Also, just started to notice the driveline clunk during stopping. Not really worried about that though.

I did take the vehicle in to get looked at by Lexus. As I still have a complete powertrain warranty, I was confident they would find something amiss. The mechanic called me and said he couldn't hear anything during diagnosis. So, I went into the dealership and drove it with him sitting shotgun. When I pointed out the whine, he laughed it off. Told me that although the GX is a luxury vehicle, it is built on the 4runner platform and chassis. They are "machines and make noise". The GX is so quiet, you just hear more things than you normally would. To be honest, I tend to agree with him, especially since I was willing to cough up the $$ for repairs if needed.

Anyway, the GX still runs like a champ. I will be doing the timing belt and water pump within the next 10K miles.
Any updates on this? I’m having the same exact problem. I just had a service advisor note that they were able to hear the noise while running the truck on a lift and narrowed it down to the rear differential pinion bearing. He is suggesting it’s loose and needs replacement and could result in a catastrophic failure if it’s not done. Wondering if you ever had it fixed or if you ran into any failures as a result of this noise. I’m thinking he may be trying to get work out of my truck when it’s not really necessary. Unsure if this would fix the noise.
Old 08-24-22, 10:59 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BzzrBeater
Any updates on this? I’m having the same exact problem. I just had a service advisor note that they were able to hear the noise while running the truck on a lift and narrowed it down to the rear differential pinion bearing. He is suggesting it’s loose and needs replacement and could result in a catastrophic failure if it’s not done. Wondering if you ever had it fixed or if you ran into any failures as a result of this noise. I’m thinking he may be trying to get work out of my truck when it’s not really necessary. Unsure if this would fix the noise.
Unless you verify a bad bearing, a noise by itself does not mean bad bearing.

At minimum, split the pumpkin and inspect the pinion/diff. Royal pita, but it's how to verify.

Why not 1st take off the drive shaft (perhaps just replace it), then spin the rear wheels, does the noise persist?
Old 08-24-22, 11:08 AM
Lexus4321
Instructor

When I pointed out the whine, he laughed it off. Told me that although the GX is a luxury vehicle, it is built on the 4runner platform and chassis. They are "machines and make noise". The GX is so quiet, you just hear more things than you normally would. To be honest, I tend to agree with him, especially since I was willing to cough up the $$ for repairs if needed.
You should have told him, "it's a Prado". lol.

Describing noise on a forum is hard.

What frequency of noise? Is it solid noise like a hum, or does it pulse?

Tires, rocks in tires, wheel bearings, u-joints, CV joints and boots, can all be culprits of noise at speeds. A noise under passenger front could perhaps sound to the driver like it's coming from the rear.
Old 08-24-22, 01:03 PM
BzzrBeater
3rd Gear

I’m not sure removing the driveshaft and spinning the wheels will help here. The noise only happens at around 60-65 mph, while maintaining speed at a slight downhill (gas pedal slightly depressed). Meaning I’m not applying torque to the wheels, or very little torque. The noise goes away when accelerating or completely taking my foot off the gas. For me, the noise sounds like someone playing a flute. It’s constant and at the same pitch every time, and always reproducible.

Mechanic used a device (what he said is like a stethoscope) to narrow the noise down to the rear diff and suggested it’s the pinion bearing that is loose or damaged.
Old 08-24-22, 01:19 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

A mechanic's stethoscope would indeed locate the noise. Whether it's the pinion bearing or tooth wear is unknown until you open it up.
However - removing the driveshaft would let you check the gear backlash, and that's more definitive for gear wear than "noisy".
Did you drain the fluid and look for sparklies and chunks?

Chip H.
Old 08-24-22, 03:09 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

If it's noise inside the diff, the oil should be squashing a flute pitched noise, no?

Whenever a diff has issues it seems you also feel it by some sort of vibration, at least that's what I have noticed.

How could a mechanic use a stet scope if the noise only happens at 65mph?
Old 08-24-22, 04:45 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus4321
If it's noise inside the diff, the oil should be squashing a flute pitched noise, no?

Whenever a diff has issues it seems you also feel it by some sort of vibration, at least that's what I have noticed.

How could a mechanic use a stet scope if the noise only happens at 65mph?
Put truck on stands/lift and have someone run it to 65? My buddy just did this diagnosis and third member replacement on his 3rd gen 4Runner.
Old 08-24-22, 07:09 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Originally Posted by NTH
Put truck on stands/lift and have someone run it to 65? My buddy just did this diagnosis and third member replacement on his 3rd gen 4Runner.
It's a AWD, and running it at 65mph on stands while trying to stet scope it sounds like visit to hospital. The stands also need to be under the rear axle and front lower A-arms, not gonna be good to run it at 65mpg on full droop suspension.

But hey, if someone is willing to do that, so be it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Axle Whine