GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

embarrassing

Old 09-14-12, 09:14 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy embarrassing

Sorry for the long story. If you want to skip the story, skip to the last paragraph.

I was driving on the highway, doing about 50mph (traffic) when all of a certain a beep and all the lights were ON. Warning everything, battery, traction, etc etc. Lost the power steering and power brake too.

Pulled over onto the side at the merge on, give lots of room for idiot not to hit me. When I brake the tire locked create a burning smell. Amazing how 10mph and the wheel can still lock with only manual brake. I turn off the engine, everything shut off just fine. Steering wheel pulled in just like it suppose to.

Start the car again. It was having a bit problem starting but it started. All warning came back. Steering wheel is not extending, no power steering or power brake either. So I decided to limp to the next exit and turn back. The next exit was miles away. Pulled into the exit, on the local road all the speedo and rpm and all other meters went out. The car was shaking. I went into the turn lane trying to make a U turn. At the red light EVERYTHING things died completely. The emergency flashes both side, now one side went out. I'm not even sure the light flashes in the back but it flashes on the display only the right side.

Pop the trunk to let ppl know my car is dead. The emergency light is out so a wide open trunk would be the best indication. I don't want to open my hood cause I want to at least have some visibility in the front. Oddly some ppl honk and stuff. Genius, like I could do anything.

The cop came, I told him what's going on. He said to put my car in Neutral and steer it to a near by fire department, he'll push using his car. I showed a bit of concern that it'll scratch my car, he said it won't scratch. So I pop in the car and tried to put in Neutral. It won't move. Press button, it won't turn ON. The cop bump me from behind. I raised my hand show I'm not ready. The cop turn on his loud speaker said "Put it in neutral". I tried to pop the cap to get to the button but it didn't work. The cop bump AGAIN. I raised my hand again, and again he use his loud speaker to said put into neutral. I got out of my car to go tell him, than he said on his loud speaker "What are you doing!!!". Geeeezzzzzzzz. He got out of his car and was pissed at me. I explain I have to get to the button to bypass the shift lock. He didn't understand. Another cop came and ask for my key. LOL Give him my key, he got in and tried. Nothing. Than I explain to both that the cap beside it has a bypass button. He tried with his knife for awhile and got the cap pop up. Put in neutral and the cop push into the parking lot of the fire department.

The cop said to check my bumper that he didn't scratch it, I didn't care at that point. A minor scratch I can deal with. I thank him and he was on his way. Called my brother to come rescue me. Called my mechanic and he said probably the alternator was shot. So, a fresh charged battery will temporally do.

Told my brother, he went to get the new battery. and I had nothing to do so I removed the old battery. He came and pop in the battery. Everything was peachy again. The two right windows refuse to roll up using my driver switch. Steering wheel won't extend like it used to do. But have power steering and power brake again. I limped home without emergency flash or anything that I don't need. Have to save that battery but the car didn't give any indication that anything was wrong. LOL No battery light or anything.

so................... there is my embarrassing moment. Nothing been done to the car to cause the alternator problem. Just the day before, I removed my booster pack from it usually place in the trunk for charging too. LOL But it wouldn't have helped. Booster pack battery is pretty small to replace the car main battery.
Old 09-14-12, 10:17 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

your braver then me. i wouldnt have let him push my car with his car and i certainly wouldnt let him go at my center console with a knife.

glad to hear you got it working though. the windows dont work because you need to roll them down from each door first before it will work on the drivers side controls again.
Old 09-14-12, 11:36 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And this all happened while you were driving? That some crazy shiet dude, what model and year is your car?
Old 09-14-12, 12:10 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

^ alternator problem isn't relate to car model and year. I don't think alternator even have a mileage like timing belt either. It seem alternator can die any time and anywhere at any age.

Yes, happen while I was driving. I made it worst when I restart the car. The battery was the only thing kept everything going which I didn't know at the time, so when I restart it drain the battery even more. GS430, 8 bangers to feed. LOL

I took the battery home and plug iinto charge, the meter was reading ZERO. LOL

IXI187IXI, thanks I will try that.
Old 09-14-12, 01:06 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i had this problem too few months ago, its weird how urs all of sudden just gave up. On mine, it showed some kind of warning weeks before, ie : car won't start, the battery sign in dash was on for a while. Then AAA guy told me my alternator was the issue.

glad u able to pull over safely. mine is GS430 too, miles 120k.
Old 09-14-12, 01:34 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

^ mine is 118k miles. that's pretty close. There were no warning before this.

Funny to see all the needles drop dead. LOL No RPM, no speedo, no gas meter, no thermo meter. LOL