GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

mushy and sticky

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 01:14 PM
hollywoods
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mushy and sticky

need advice on what to do
the rubbery area that you push to open the trunk (right above the license plate) is mushy and sticky. It kinda of feels like old chewing gum and it also leaves a black marks every time i push it to open the trunk
why does it happen and can i get a new part?

thanks
Old 07-23-09, 01:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

mushy, i can understand (wish it's something "harder"), but mine is not sticky at all though?
Old 07-23-09, 02:21 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what the.. something nasty like grease probably got on it.. wipe it with some kind of plastic cleaners or something to see if it's better

i really really doubt urs melted, it's 115F in AZ and mine is doing just fine
Old 07-23-09, 02:24 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whlkev
what the.. something nasty like grease probably got on it.. wipe it with some kind of plastic cleaners or something to see if it's better

agreed. ambient heat is not gonna do it. but if something was wiped on it by cleaners or something, that'd maybe melt it. that rubber seams pretty flimsy.

although i cant figure out anything that auto detailers use that would do that.....but just thinkin out loud.
Old 09-25-09, 08:24 PM
hollywoods
Rookie

Originally Posted by whlkev

i cleaned it with a silicon type cleaner, but its still mushy and get my finger black, when i push it

help its, really annoying, can i somehow replace that part

Last edited by hollywoods; 09-26-09 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-25-09, 11:14 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

clean it with rubbing alcohol... that should get rid of the big mess, then clean it with a rag&water.... if that doesn't help, then bring it back to lexus, and tell them to replace it, that should be FREE if your car's still under warranty =] that part shouldn't wear and tear that way
Old 09-26-09, 12:24 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wd40........
Old 09-26-09, 08:56 AM
hollywoods
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
clean it with rubbing alcohol... that should get rid of the big mess, then clean it with a rag&water.... if that doesn't help, then bring it back to lexus, and tell them to replace it, that should be FREE if your car's still under warranty =] that part shouldn't wear and tear that way
i cleaned with rubbing alcohol and wiped it off with water, but then that parts of it started to peel off.
Unfortunately, the car is no longer covered by warranty.

does anyone know
1. what part #?
2. how much for the part and labor?
3. is it a do it yourself?
Old 09-26-09, 10:06 AM
XxGoKoUxX

I would order the part at the dealer, i can't seem to find it anywhere to be honest

Parts and labor can vary by dealer to dealer, i'd just call n find out before i jump the wagon =]

it can be a DIY, from the looks of it, seems pretty straight forward, unless i'm wrong...

if it's still sticky? then go to the dealer, if it's peeling and not sticky anymore? see if you can somehow CAREFULLY sand down the peels(without damaging the paint) i think that piece can be salvaged =]
Old 09-26-09, 11:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Its not the heat. I am in AZ as well ad have had no issues. I would just wipeit dow and see if it gets worse. Most likely its just something that was rubber there by a tech with dirty hands or a car wash tech riffling through your trunk.
Old 09-27-09, 10:19 AM
hollywoods
Rookie

its like the rubber is disintegrating
Old 09-27-09, 01:09 PM
XxGoKoUxX

nope, i know what it is, it's sort of like a freak accident, it happens on some rubbers and it doesn't on some, someone or somehow there was a chemical reaction that made the oil-base off of your rubber extract all that gooey stuff out, it happens sometimes, i remember it happening to one of the parts on my turbo setup, it gets really gooey and nasty, and when i tried to clean it, the chaffing occured, so i replaced it before my car went kablooom hahahaha...

On another note, taking it out looks extremely easy... so just take a flathead, pop out the two "screw looking" things and then unscrew the screws underneath... voila =] DONE!
Old 08-26-10, 09:53 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

mines been in the same condition for the past few months, did you ever find a replacement part? the rubber looks like it's breaking down for some strange reason.
Old 08-27-10, 02:57 AM
masterchri
Pole Position

a buddy of mine had this same problem but it was in his interior of his 03 IS300. Stuff is nasty man.. you put your hand on it and it leaves a sticky residue on your hand.. He doesn't know how to fix it either other than just putting a dash cover on it lol.. would like to know if there is a fix to this other than replacing as well?
Old 08-27-10, 06:58 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you need parts like this, the man to contact is our low-price and high service vendor: ddiller@sewell.com

Last edited by *Batman*; 08-27-10 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply: mushy and sticky