GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Problem w/ SIRIUS installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-05, 05:31 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Problem w/ SIRIUS installation

so my sirius kit was installed. and it seemed to work ok. but then i was trying to figure out how to scroll through the channels once i got to my destination. when using the Tune ****, it would jump from channel 1 to channel 15. i don't know how to get any of the channels in between.

is it just me? am i doing something wrong?

another thing - i supplied the kit myself (purchased from sewell). i brought it to dealership, with instructions and everything. the SIGMA antenna was there. when i picked up the car, they had used the XM antenna next to the rear brake light. i am pretty annoyed they did this. and i am wondering if this might affect the fact i can't reach the channels.

what the heck is going on?!??! @#&U$*@&#*(
Old 08-11-05, 08:35 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which dealership did the install?
Old 08-11-05, 08:45 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

carlsbad. wasn't about to pay to pay $500+ at kearny mesa for labor only.

good news is i complained to the service mgr, and he is going to send someone out to my house tomorrow morning to pick it up and have it fixed. it's just too far to drive, esp w/ friday traffic.

hope they can fix it. i only get about 15-20 channels right now, most of which i don't listen to.
Old 08-11-05, 10:01 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
the SIGMA antenna was there. when i picked up the car, they had used the XM antenna next to the rear brake light. i am pretty annoyed they did this. and i am wondering if this might affect the fact i can't reach the channels.

what the heck is going on?!??! @#&U$*@&#*(
I was under the impression that even for XM an antenna had to be installed. Is that what your are saying--they installed the XM antenna? Or are you saying the GS comes with an XM antenna built in? Anyway, from what I have seen based on XM and Sirius antennas offered for sale, each system seems to use its own antenna. I don't know if that's due to the transmission differences or due to something mundane like the connectors. Yet, you are receiving some signals, at least.

The antenna cannot cause some channels to disappear when others are coming in. My understanding is that the signal the radio receives has all the channels--the radio just parses out the channel you select from that bitstream. How to tune them in, I have no idea.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-05, 12:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ah this sux.... especially longo just came out with their own deal on free install if you get the cars from them
Old 08-12-05, 08:53 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if your receiver needs to be "refreshed" like an XM receiver? http://www.xmradio.com/refresh/
"Refreshing" simply means that all the channel data needs to be downloaded to your receiver again.
Old 08-12-05, 09:22 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by costanza
I wonder if your receiver needs to be "refreshed" like an XM receiver? http://www.xmradio.com/refresh/
"Refreshing" simply means that all the channel data needs to be downloaded to your receiver again.
costanza, thanks for your help. i emailed looknow also. BINGO, you guys are right!! i don't know why sirius did not know this yesterday when i called them. but i just got on the phone and the signal was updated in about 2 min, all channels are there. looknow also mentioned that the lexus sirius tuner comes preset with select channels for the 3 month trial only. so when you get the thing activated and installed, you must call to have the rest of the channels sent to the receiver...

hopefully all you people out there getting sirius read this before it drives you nuts. and Yes, the XM antenna does work, so if you want the one next to your rear brake light, it will work. (you don't have to buy SIGMA) apparently, as the carlsbad mgr explained, the SIGMA is quite large and they experienced issues in some other models with rain sensing wipers and the placement of the SIGMA.

now i feel bad about complaining to lexus carlsbad, but it still boggles my mind why they would not at least tell me they weren't using parts i paid for myself.

thanks for your help everybody!!! i really, really appreciate it.
Old 08-12-05, 12:13 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
ah this sux.... especially longo just came out with their own deal on free install if you get the cars from them
Yup, I'm scheduling my appointment for next week. But I'd rather use the XM antenna than the obstrusive Sirius antenna. Going to make sure this is possible before I proceed.
Old 08-12-05, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

even worse, i don't understand why they are not doing it for sc430 @_@
Old 08-13-05, 12:20 PM
PClarkccg
Driver School Candidate

Now I am confused! I am about the purchase the Sirius radio from Sewell. You mentioned that the Sirius radio was installed by the dealer but they installed the XM antenna.

-Why did the dealer install the XM antenna?
-Does the Sirius radio (kit) come with the Sirius antenna?
-What is the difference between the XM and Sirius antenna?
-Do I need to purchase the XM antenna for the back window deck placement?

Thanks for the heads up on the "refresh" too!
Old 08-13-05, 01:55 PM
ACLC
Driver School Candidate

I picked up my 2006 GS 300 AWD with SIRIUS installed by dealer...The antenna is near the rear view mirror and is inside the car.

"...the SIGMA is quite large and they experienced issues in some other models with rain sensing wipers and the placement of the SIGMA."

The SIRIUS kit was supplied by the Lexus dealer, and as mentioned in another thread (see http://lexus-parts.com/partlist.asp?...37&ModelID=125 ) the kit is specific to the GS. Therefore, I would expect no problems with this installation. So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails Problem w/ SIRIUS installation-p8130389.jpg  

Last edited by ACLC; 08-13-05 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-13-05, 10:45 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by PClarkccg
-Why did the dealer install the XM antenna?
i really don't know why. and it made me upset that they didn't install stuff i provided and paid for. but in the end, i didn't care, as long as it worked. i initially wanted the SIGMA and was looking for it when i went to pick up the car. i got out and walked around and finally saw the little XM box in the corner of my rear window deck. but it worked fine, so i am ok with it. but they should have at least mentioned it to me.

-Does the Sirius radio (kit) come with the Sirius antenna?
yes, if you buy from lexus-parts.com (sewell lexus), you get the SIGMA and the sirius receiver. they are 2 diff part #s.

-What is the difference between the XM and Sirius antenna?
the XM is a little black box that is usually mounted on trunks or inside the rear window. the SIGMA is a triangular shaped antenna that is put on the inside of the windshield by the rearview mirror. it is probably 3x-4x larger than the XM box. i don't know about the validity of what the service manager said about the rain sensing wiper conflict. i think he was making it up. but visually, it is up to you what you think looks better. now that i have the XM antenna attached to the sirius receiver, i think it is not a bad way to go (visually). reception is great and the antenna is not noticeable at all. pics are below of my XM antenna for the sirius system. ACLC has a nice pic above of the SIGMA install.

-Do I need to purchase the XM antenna for the back window deck placement?
yes, if you want the back window deck, you can order the XM antenna instead of the SIGMA. i suppose there is nothing to prevent someone from putting SIGMA on the rear deck also, but i have no idea if it would work. i can, however, personally vouch for the fact that my setup is working fine and reception is terrific.

on an unrelated note, i think there is one glitch/bug which i think is related to the lexus audio system software - if you are switching "modes" between SAT1, SAT2, SAT3, and then back to AM, you can't get back to SAT1 without turning off the car. for some reason when you cycle through it 1, 2, 3, you can't get back to SAT mode again. it's like it doesn't know it's there... is this happening to anyone else out there w/ sirius (or XM)?

here are pics of my setup - the XM antenna is in the bottom right of back window:

Old 08-13-05, 11:02 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

p.s. if you are wondering, SIGMA = SIRIUS Interior Glass Mounted Antenna
Old 08-14-05, 05:30 AM
PClarkccg
Driver School Candidate

Thanks much for the detailed answers. I like/want the same look as you with the XM antenna on the back deck (my windows are tinted!). I don't want the SIGMA on my front window. I'll call Sewell and see about getting the XM antenna at time of purchase!?

P.S. In your photo you can't see the antenna wire. Did the dealer pass the wire directly under the antenna to the trunk instead of along the bottom of the window?

Last edited by PClarkccg; 08-14-05 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-14-05, 10:04 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Thanks fore the detailed reply and pics lexuslover.

I've requested that Longo install my Sirius setup the same way as yours (utlizing the XM antenna). Looks like a much cleaner install, and I prefer the smaller antenna. They are checking to see if this is possible...something about "warranty issues."

Quick Reply: Problem w/ SIRIUS installation