Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Lexus GS Coupe To Arrive in 2013

Just found this on Edmunds.com!

http://www.insideline.com/lexus/lexu...e-in-2013.html

Lexus GS Coupe To Arrive in 2013
By Ed Hellwig, Editor | Published May 28, 2012

Just the Facts:
Lexus is likely to add a GS-based performance coupe to its lineup in 2013.
The new model will fill the gap left by the departure of the SC 430.
It will be designed to compete against the Audi A5/S5, BMW 6 Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class coupe.

SANTA MONICA, California — Lexus plans to add a new performance coupe to its lineup for the 2014 model year. The two-door performance car will take the place of the former SC 430 coupe that was discontinued in 2010.

Lexus officials have not been shy about discussing the company's need for a high-end coupe. Last summer, a U.S.-based Lexus product planner told Inside Line that he would love to see a coupe in the lineup to help boost the emotional appeal of the brand. Earlier this year, Karl Schlicht, head of global product planning for Lexus, told Automotive News that the brand needs a sporty coupe to go with its renewed lineup of sedans and crossovers. The U.S. head of Lexus, Mark Templin, also said he wants a sport coupe in the $60,000-$70,000 range.

The two-door version of the GS you see here is the most likely candidate to fill that role. Its rear-wheel-drive layout and midsize proportions make it the perfect candidate to take on competing luxury coupes like the Audi A5/S5, BMW 6 Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class coupe. The current top-of-the-line GS sedan starts at around $60,000, so a coupe version would slide right into Templin's vision.

The only major hurdle for Lexus to overcome is deciding which drivetrains to use. The GS sedan uses a hybrid V6 in the top-of the-line GS 450h, while the GS 350 gets a V6 only. Neither setup is ideal for a true performance sedan, so it's possible that the coupe could arrive as a GS-F model with a unique drivetrain and tuning.

Given the heavy rollout of new Lexus models in 2012, the introduction of the GS coupe isn't likely until the first quarter of 2013 at the earliest, with sales beginning later in the year.

Inside Line says: If Lexus really wants to invigorate its lineup, a high-powered coupe based on the rear-wheel-drive GS would be a good start.
Old 05-27-12, 11:41 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IS-F coupe before a GS coupe i'd hope.

I don't know why they are titling it like it's a fact then clearly state it's "likely" a GS.

Are they completely forgetting the IS would make a better coupe? (IMO)

Last edited by KillaIS250; 05-27-12 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-28-12, 08:57 AM
OSU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would they do an IS F coupe first? That wouldn't compete against a 6 series or A5/S5. It's too small. It would compete against an M3. To be able to compete against a 6 series, it has to be nearly as big an a IS F coupe just won't get it.
Old 05-28-12, 09:32 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
IS-F coupe before a GS coupe i'd hope.

I don't know why they are titling it like it's a fact then clearly state it's "likely" a GS.

Are they completely forgetting the IS would make a better coupe? (IMO)
They're stating that the GS is a better foundation for the $60-70K coupe market against the 6 series, E-Class coupe, etc.

I think it's a given that the IS would also be a great coupe platform/segment.
Old 05-28-12, 09:51 AM
nantang
Driver

I'd like to see both offered in coupe forms. A GS-F coupe makes sense.
Old 05-28-12, 10:26 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I love the comments in the article - people seem to think the car will look just like that.

IMO, Lexus is going to go the "SC" route (not necessarily a new SC, but a car positioned at a premium to the GS) with a premium priced coupe. I find it unlikely they'll just create a coupe to compete with the A5 and E-Coupe based on the GS platform. It's not economically viable (those cars afaik are based on the A4 and C-class platforms). My guess is they'll restyle the car, call it something else (not a GS Coupe) and price it competitively against the 6-series.
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see many IS coupe on the street and the rating very low. I doubt they will make IS-F coupe.

The GS coupe makes sense to me
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by nantang
I'd like to see both offered in coupe forms. A GS-F coupe makes sense.
It may make sense, but I hope it does not look anything like that Photoshopped image!
Old 05-28-12, 11:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite
I don't see many IS coupe on the street and the rating very low. I doubt they will make IS-F coupe.

The GS coupe makes sense to me
That's because it's not a coupe, it's a retractable hardtop convertible. Very different market from those that want a true coupe
Old 05-28-12, 06:09 PM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ighlight=COUPE

GS coupe thread
Old 05-28-12, 07:56 PM
FNFZ4
Driver

you have got to be kidding me... a GS coupe? WOW I would love to have one!!!!n I hope its more gorgeous than a Benz E350 Coupe
Old 05-29-12, 07:26 AM
nantang
Driver

Sports coupes in general seem to have disappeared. I can't help but wonder if the trend for sports sedans in lieu of coupes is the result of dogmatic assumptions. Coupes might have slumped in sales for a year or two, maybe for reasons unrelated to interest in the form factor itself. Then, as sales slumped, they pulled models off the market. Fewer choices led to less sales, and pretty soon, sports sedans took over.

I'm wanting a lot of different aspects in one car--30+ mpg and low emissions, but sports car performance and design, and a long list of luxury ammenities. The GS450h is one of the few cars that accomplish all of these, and I would be very surprised if a coupe version of it came into production. It would, however, be a really great car if it did.

I think Lexus missed a market when they didn't make a CT coupe. Acura used to make an entry-level coupe in the $30k range. Once they stopped making it, the Infiniti G35/37 now runs the entry luxury coupe race unopposed.
Old 05-29-12, 08:18 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Just bring on the coupes. No more convertibles only approach. The SC 430 would have faired better if it was a good looking hard top coupe first to continue the 1st Gen SC heritage.
Old 05-29-12, 08:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Just bring on the coupes. No more convertibles only approach. The SC 430 would have faired better if it was a good looking hard top coupe first to continue the 1st Gen SC heritage.
Totally agree. Bring out the coupe first, then like Infiniti, Mercedes and BMW, introduce the chop-top.

I think there may be a resurgence in the market for coupes, since Baby Boomers and GenX'ers are now sending kids to college and no longer need really practical cars. If Lexus made a nice SC300/400-type big coupe I would finally be in a position to afford one. (Lord knows I couldn't when they were new.) Bring it on!
Old 05-30-12, 12:56 PM
bjjones
Driver

Great move Lexus!

Quick Reply: Lexus GS Coupe To Arrive in 2013