GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Broken intake actuator, worth replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 04:20 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Broken intake actuator, worth replacing?

Last week I had my battery replaced under warranty. I just discovered two days ago while cleaning my engine bay that they broke the actuator that controls the flap for the intake. It looks like it’s the plastic cap (filter?) for the actuator. Since I moved its location for the RR Racing intake kit, I’m assuming they will say I modified that part by moving its location for aftermarket parts and so they won’t cover it. I have the intake and a mid pipe and they haven’t said anything about warranty yet but I don’t necessarily want to push it.

What are your thoughts? The actuator still works fine but does anybody know if I can find a replacement for that plastic cap? I looked at a few parts sites but couldn’t find anything.

thanks

Old 05-13-19, 03:07 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Jeesh what dealership was this if you don't mind me asking. I would just put it to stock and bring it in saying they broke, if they lied and didn't tell you, do the same to them and bring back stock.
Old 05-13-19, 03:08 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Jeesh what dealership was this if you don't mind me asking. I would just put it to stock and bring it in saying they broke, if they lied and didn't tell you, do the same to them and bring back stock.
lexus of Northborough.

EDIT: after reading RTIS250’s and lobuxracer’s comments and thinking about it again, I can’t 100% say they did it so changing my overreaction

Last edited by jonez; 05-16-19 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-13-19, 08:44 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by jonez
lexus of Northborough, I won’t be going back
Oh I've never been there for service, only been to Herb Chambers Hingham, Sharon and Lexus of Watertown. Are you close to those dealerships.
Old 05-13-19, 08:48 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Oh I've never been there for service, only been to Herb Chambers Hingham, Sharon and Lexus of Watertown. Are you close to those dealerships.
No but I could go to a toyota dealership instead, at least I won't have to deal with them detailing my car when i tell them not to and ruining the finish on my wheels.
Old 05-13-19, 08:52 AM
bigblack06

No but I could go to a toyota dealership instead, at least I won't have to deal with them detailing my car when i tell them not to and ruining the finish on my wheels.
That sucks, I've always told me service advisor and the valet all know don't wash my car. I'll be heading to Higham since my service advisor is the new director there.
Old 05-13-19, 09:01 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

That sucks, I've always told me service advisor and the valet all know don't wash my car. I'll be heading to Higham since my service advisor is the new director there.
I asked them to put a note on my account to say "no detail", they were supposed to do it and did not, i had an appointment scheduled with the rep i usually go to but when i got there he had something going on with another customer and had to pass it to someone else who forgot to tell the guys not to wash it.

I was planning on refinishing them to another color anyways in a year or two so i wasn't as upset but still annoying. Now with this latest issue I just don't know if I can trust those guys in the shop with anything important if they can't even replace a battery correctly.
Old 05-14-19, 01:15 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Meh Hingham isn't perfect either. I was thinking about going to Sharon.
Old 05-15-19, 03:07 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by akshunj
Meh Hingham isn't perfect either. I was thinking about going to Sharon.
Sharon has always been my service home and I haven't had an issue until they did the recall on my tires.
Old 05-15-19, 04:05 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Sharon has always been my service home and I haven't had an issue until they did the recall on my tires.
I am assuming the recall was on a different vehicle than the GSF? What did they do?
Old 05-15-19, 06:12 AM
bigblack06

I am assuming the recall was on a different vehicle than the GSF? What did they do?
The recall was on my LS, which was a recall on my tires but they tried to put the new ones on and damaged two of my wheels. The car hasn't been to any shop yet still to new.
Old 05-15-19, 08:13 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Just curious, but why would you think the dealership broke it? It's not directly next to the battery. While it is possible they broke it, why assume and point the finger? Second, why not bring up your concern to your adviser?
The following users liked this post:
jonez (05-16-19)
Old 05-15-19, 09:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Third, it's just a muffler for when the solenoid opens and bleeds off the air pressure in the diaphragm. You are concerned because it doesn't look the same?

I would totally get it if you were certain the service tech broke it, or if it were the nipple on the diaphragm and the actuator really was broken, but this is 100% cosmetic. If you remove it completely, you might get a sound like a BOV...

I have some spare VSVs laying around with mufflers on them. If you really want one PM me, I'll mail it to you.
The following users liked this post:
jonez (05-16-19)
Old 05-16-19, 03:45 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Just curious, but why would you think the dealership broke it? It's not directly next to the battery. While it is possible they broke it, why assume and point the finger? Second, why not bring up your concern to your adviser?
I had to jump the car to start it and I’m pretty sure I would have noticed if I damaged it. There were small plastic pieces all over the place as if it has sustained an impact of something dropped on it, not a jumper cable rubbing up against it, but you’re right I can’t be 100% sure they did it.

To get the battery out from that side of the car you have to hoist it over that point.

As for talking to my service provider, I figured I would ask here what it is and if it’s even worth replacing before I go back to them. As I said in my first post, I have the RR Racing heat shield installed where it normally would be so I want to avoid having to put it all back to stock if the broken plastic piece isn’t going to impact anything.
Old 05-16-19, 03:47 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Third, it's just a muffler for when the solenoid opens and bleeds off the air pressure in the diaphragm. You are concerned because it doesn't look the same?

I would totally get it if you were certain the service tech broke it, or if it were the nipple on the diaphragm and the actuator really was broken, but this is 100% cosmetic. If you remove it completely, you might get a sound like a BOV...

I have some spare VSVs laying around with mufflers on them. If you really want one PM me, I'll mail it to you.
Thanks! I wasn’t sure exactly what it was. The reason I created this post was to identify it and if it was really necessary to replace to go back to the dealership. I don’t really care about the cosmetics if it just functionality. I’ll leave it as is.