GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

R&T Article: The Lexus GS-F Is the Future Classic Nobody Is Talking About

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 12:31 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Default R&T Article: The Lexus GS-F Is the Future Classic Nobody Is Talking About

Hopefully!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a25683229/the-lexus-gs-f-is-the-future-classic-nobody-is-talking-about/
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (12-26-18)
Old 12-26-18, 12:38 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I logged in clublexus a few seconds ago to post this same article. Wow...

anyways, interesting take as they are right, there aren’t nearly as many GSF as there are a car say like the Hellcat or GT350. It might take the path of the older supras where they weren’t well regarded in the 90s and sold poorly but they exploded in popularity right around the release of the movie fast and furious, but it’s hard to say if it’s popularity is really linked to the movie at all.

Lexus recently put the GSF in a recent popular movie the Black Panther and they are even featuring the RCF in the new Men in Black movie next year.

So so we shall see what the status of the car is in about 10 years or so.
Old 12-26-18, 08:52 PM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

future classic? LOL. GSF won't live up to that hyperbole.

GSF will be exactly like the ISF: a well regarded, somewhat desirable, performance sedan that will maintain its value in the mid 30's.
Old 12-28-18, 09:27 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stevesands
future classic? LOL. GSF won't live up to that hyperbole.

GSF will be exactly like the ISF: a well regarded, somewhat desirable, performance sedan that will maintain its value in the mid 30's.
Isn't that how classics are these days? You said the ISF will maintain its value in the mid 30's. Thats pretty good for an aging Lexus vehicle. The ISF isn't that old and if it maintains it value like that for the next 10 years or so, I could see 1 owner unmodified examples fetching decent money. It won't appreciate in value but it'll probably depreciate very little.

Again, like I said, ISFs aren't that old so it remains to be seen if they will be desirable in the future or considered a classic. But one thing is for certain, in the next 30 years, there won't be many GSFs or ISFs on the road due to the very low production numbers. Which is the entire point of the article.

Old 12-28-18, 02:17 PM
usafakid09
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Isn't that how classics are these days? You said the ISF will maintain its value in the mid 30's. Thats pretty good for an aging Lexus vehicle. The ISF isn't that old and if it maintains it value like that for the next 10 years or so, I could see 1 owner unmodified examples fetching decent money. It won't appreciate in value but it'll probably depreciate very little.

Again, like I said, ISFs aren't that old so it remains to be seen if they will be desirable in the future or considered a classic. But one thing is for certain, in the next 30 years, there won't be many GSFs or ISFs on the road due to the very low production numbers. Which is the entire point of the article.
What are cars that appreciate in value (i.e. air cooled 911s) considered?
Old 05-19-19, 10:21 AM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR

Three words. Naturally Aspirated V8 in a world where electric cars and boosted ULEVs will thrive.
The following 2 users liked this post by leg3ndary:
CZ75 (11-07-21), Fatbarney (05-19-19)
Old 05-26-19, 01:09 AM
dlin4229
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In my opinion like many Japanese cars this car had been designed by different philosophy(100m vs marathon). Of course GSF is more like running a marathon. The longer it runs the more people notice it. So who cares about the ranking within the first 5 minutes when running a marathon. By the way even though GSF is running a marathon, it's NOT much slower than those running a 100m or 500m.

Last edited by dlin4229; 05-26-19 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-27-19, 11:23 PM
scsisf
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my 2 cents on this subject regarding a 2008 ISF I purchased 4yrs ago for $29,500. My wife totaled it about 3 months ago and State Farm insurance paid out $33k after a little negotiating back and forth. The ISF held its value extremely well. I see quite a lot of salvage title cars for sale on CLs so the clean title ones are going to be priced decently. In my opinion, I do see the same future for the GSF.
Old 08-27-19, 11:38 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Throw everything out the window.
You cannot predict the future, and you cannot predict the upcoming generation mentality either.

Production numbers are important indications.

But since these cars are so damn reliable, they're gonna still be on our roads for many years to come.
Hence, not rare and definitely not as desirable as you may think they will be.
Old 08-28-19, 05:15 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
Throw everything out the window.
You cannot predict the future, and you cannot predict the upcoming generation mentality either.

Production numbers are important indications.

But since these cars are so damn reliable, they're gonna still be on our roads for many years to come.
Hence, not rare and definitely not as desirable as you may think they will be.
Rare and easy/cheap to maintain are desirable weekend cars in my book. It's about losing the least $ while owning a car unless you had some rare handbuilt vehicles.
This has proven 100% true with my 92 NSX.
Old 08-28-19, 05:30 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Looking at production numbers for ISF, RCF, and then GSF as well as VIN #s by year----they made very few of these in 2017-2019. 2016 was the peak at ~1,400. At that rate, these are rarer than you think. I believe they make more yearly of a car such as a Ferrari 488. IMO, these should age well with the NA V8. I live in NJ (very densely populated) and I've only seen 3 of them on the road (two driving, one on a transporter) over the last 2+yrs. I actually rarely see RC Fs either---and believe me, my eyes are peeled for cars on the road. It may not be a classic, but it MAY hold it's value well in the next 5+yrs after the initial drop.
Old 08-28-19, 11:48 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Teutonic
Looking at production numbers for ISF, RCF, and then GSF as well as VIN #s by year----they made very few of these in 2017-2019. 2016 was the peak at ~1,400. At that rate, these are rarer than you think. I believe they make more yearly of a car such as a Ferrari 488. IMO, these should age well with the NA V8. I live in NJ (very densely populated) and I've only seen 3 of them on the road (two driving, one on a transporter) over the last 2+yrs. I actually rarely see RC Fs either---and believe me, my eyes are peeled for cars on the road. It may not be a classic, but it MAY hold it's value well in the next 5+yrs after the initial drop.
The GSF RCF may take the same path as the 2011 BMW m3 since that was the last m3 with an NA engine. The key thing is that they have not made a m3 with a v8 since then which made them desirable about 8 years later. As far as we know Lexus may still make cars in the next 10 years with NA engines. So it’s better to speculate when Lexus is finished making these 5.0 v8 engines and then and only then could we really speculate.

The only drawback is desirability, yeah these Lexus vehicles are reliable but who cares about reliability if it was going to hypothetically be a future classic.
Old 09-08-19, 04:12 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

https://carbuzz.com/features/buy-a-l...-a-collectible
Dukeaudio (09-08-19)
Old 11-07-21, 10:12 PM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Fast forward to 2021 and these vehicles are out of production and have appreciated in value. That article was stating that one can get a used example with 50k miles for about $43k. Today you’ll be paying a $10k premium on the same thing. Ya ya I know beer flu but still. It’s a relatively unknown vehicle and yet people who know they are want them bad.
WickedBoi (11-08-21)