GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Considering buying a GS-F. Common maintenance/failure items?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-21, 03:32 PM
Dagobah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying a GS-F. Common maintenance/failure items?

Considering buying a GS-F. Since it'd likely be out of warranty, wondering what the common failures are and maintenance items to look out for? This is both for when buying and to get an idea of costs over time during ownership.

From what I've seen brake pads/rotors can be expensive at the dealer, but what else?
Old 03-05-21, 08:27 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dagobah
Considering buying a GS-F. Since it'd likely be out of warranty, wondering what the common failures are and maintenance items to look out for? This is both for when buying and to get an idea of costs over time during ownership.

From what I've seen brake pads/rotors can be expensive at the dealer, but what else?
the most expensive thing on the gsf is the tvd at $23k dollars, other than regular maintenance there hasn't been any catastrophic issues
Old 03-05-21, 08:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Rapidly approaching 80k miles on ours. Small issues - mirror motors on both sides have had issues with horizontal movement. First the driver's (left) side, now the passenger's (right) side. Easy enough to apply voltage directly to the motor and get it spinning again, but why should I have to?

HVAC control servos have been known to have issues, L-SB-0001-21 covers this for the affected model years - this is not unique to the GS F, there are many models impacted by this LSB.

OE pads and rotors are pricey. Aftermarket isn't and will work fine for a normal street driven car. If you're planning to hit the track with it, expect to pony up serious money for consumables. This car is heavy and will eat pads and rotors for lunch at the track.
The following users liked this post:
ScatmanATL (03-07-21)
Old 03-07-21, 11:38 PM
blueNblack
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With the BBK the pads/rotors/tires will probably be the biggest cost. I've put 15k miles on mine so far and so far just oil changes. The peeling clear coat on the carbon fiber dash pieces is a cosmetic issue but not really necessary to repair. Some have reported issues with a cracked headlight, which I do think would be an unexpected expensive replacement. I did see some mentions of the glass roof shattering by itself but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
Old 03-09-21, 09:01 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Had to have the moonroof replaced 1.5 years ago, and just got it back from the dealer again where they had to replace the moonroof seal
Old 03-09-21, 09:03 AM
Dagobah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying to get a good understanding of common issues to determine if a CPO might be worth the cost or not.
Old 03-09-21, 10:57 AM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dagobah

Headlights are like $1500 each but I’ve never heard premature failure.

The OEM carbon fiber is super expensive to replace. The spoiler alone is $2500-$3000. The whole front grill/carbon comes together so it’s expensive.

Avoid dealers for brake jobs. I got quoted $1600 just for front pads/rotors. Go aftermarket or eBay + Indy shop.

Old 03-09-21, 12:27 PM
Ab175
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Rapidly approaching 80k miles on ours. Small issues - mirror motors on both sides have had issues with horizontal movement. First the driver's (left) side, now the passenger's (right) side. Easy enough to apply voltage directly to the motor and get it spinning again, but why should I have to?

HVAC control servos have been known to have issues, L-SB-0001-21 covers this for the affected model years - this is not unique to the GS F, there are many models impacted by this LSB.

OE pads and rotors are pricey. Aftermarket isn't and will work fine for a normal street driven car. If you're planning to hit the track with it, expect to pony up serious money for consumables. This car is heavy and will eat pads and rotors for lunch at the track.
What aftermarket pads/rotors are you using? I have an RC F and I am not looking forward to a 1600$ bill for a front brake job lol.
Old 03-09-21, 12:49 PM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ab175
What aftermarket pads/rotors are you using? I have an RC F and I am not looking forward to a 1600$ bill for a front brake job lol.
I called up R1 Concepts and got their “geomet” rotors for my GSF. They gave a discount and I got front+rear rotors for around $470. Bought front+rear project Mu pads for $600. Rock Auto was $50 (shipped) for sensors. R1 Concepts can hook you up with everything you need if you want their stuff.

I’m on that setup for 15k miles and zero issues with non-track use. Going to try getting the OEM brembo rotors off eBay next time.
Old 03-09-21, 12:57 PM
Ab175
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NinjaNap
I called up R1 Concepts and got their “geomet” rotors for my GSF. They gave a discount and I got front+rear rotors for around $470. Bought front+rear project Mu pads for $600. Rock Auto was $50 (shipped) for sensors. R1 Concepts can hook you up with everything you need if you want their stuff.

I’m on that setup for 15k miles and zero issues with non-track use. Going to try getting the OEM brembo rotors off eBay next time.
looks like the OEM front rotors are $192.66 per side on Lexus parts now, and the rears are $189.86 per side. Not too bad actually.
Old 03-09-21, 12:59 PM
Ab175
Pit Crew

Do you feel a significant difference in braking performance from stock? Is there a big difference in the initial bite? I do not plan on tracking the car at all, so track performance is not a priority to me. I noticed that the brakes on my RC F have a crazy strong initial bite when you get into the brakes.
Old 03-09-21, 01:06 PM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ab175
Do you feel a significant difference in braking performance from stock? Is there a big difference in the initial bite? I do not plan on tracking the car at all, so track performance is not a priority to me. I noticed that the brakes on my RC F have a crazy strong initial bite when you get into the brakes.
The project Mu / R1 concepts setup I have does not have the bite like the OEMs. I’ve heard TOMS have an OEM-like bite so I’m looking to get those next. Still great though. I’d give the brembos an A and the Project Mu’s a B+/A-. The pluses for me are (1) almost no brake dust, (2) almost no brake squeal, and (3) longevity seems better for daily use.
Old 03-09-21, 07:01 PM
Ab175
Pit Crew

The project Mu / R1 concepts setup I have does not have the bite like the OEMs. I’ve heard TOMS have an OEM-like bite so I’m looking to get those next. Still great though. I’d give the brembos an A and the Project Mu’s a B+/A-. The pluses for me are (1) almost no brake dust, (2) almost no brake squeal, and (3) longevity seems better for daily use.
Thanks for the response, I do not want to sacrifice the confidence I have in the OEM brakes. If I can find an alternative to the OEMs that provide similar stopping power and pedal feel, I will go with that, otherwise, I will probably bite the bullet and go OEM.
Old 03-10-21, 07:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I bought rotors and pads from Rock Auto. Stupid cheap. Work just fine for my use case. There's no reason in the world to spend a lot of money on brakes if you don't track your car.

FWIW, my IS F has RB two piece rotors from Figs with Project Mu HC+800 pads all around. They're great for the IS F's use case, but the rotors were $2k by themselves.
Old 03-10-21, 08:06 AM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I bought rotors and pads from Rock Auto. Stupid cheap. Work just fine for my use case. There's no reason in the world to spend a lot of money on brakes if you don't track your car.

FWIW, my IS F has RB two piece rotors from Figs with Project Mu HC+800 pads all around. They're great for the IS F's use case, but the rotors were $2k by themselves.
I want those FIGS two piece rotors so bad...but the price. Is there a noticeable weight difference?

Quick Reply: Considering buying a GS-F. Common maintenance/failure items?