GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GSF clunks when shifting to drive from park.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 10:29 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default GSF clunks when shifting to drive from park.

I've had this issue ever since I got the car. Has 11k miles on it but yesterday it did something totally strange.

I haven't driven the car for a week and it was in my garage. I attempted to shift into reverse to back out and it went into reverse but it was like I was putting my foot fully on the brake without me putting my foot on the brake. I pressed on the accelerator and it just felt stuck. I was confused and put it into park and could feel it going into park. I tried it again and no go but I pressed on the accelerator even further and it finally broke free and could hear a loud clunk sound and all was well. I had to quickly press on the brake because the car shot back like 5 feet ha...

Before that I would always get a clunk sound probably by the transmission and differential when shifting from park to drive. Also, when I park the car, there isn't a clunk sound when going from drive to park but there is a clunk when you park and let go of the brake and the car moves forward a bit or backwards. Can any expert mechanics offer some input? I'm thinking u joints or something with the differential?

Car is under warranty but I just moved out to middle of nowhere Illinois and nearest Lexus is friggin 3 hours away.......

Thanks!
Old 07-19-18, 10:40 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Totally normal. Your brakes sieze up due to prolonged parking. Either you live in a cold environment or a humid one.

Old 07-19-18, 10:47 AM
skhmund
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR
I've had this issue ever since I got the car. Has 11k miles on it but yesterday it did something totally strange.

I haven't driven the car for a week and it was in my garage. I attempted to shift into reverse to back out and it went into reverse but it was like I was putting my foot fully on the brake without me putting my foot on the brake. I pressed on the accelerator and it just felt stuck. I was confused and put it into park and could feel it going into park. I tried it again and no go but I pressed on the accelerator even further and it finally broke free and could hear a loud clunk sound and all was well. I had to quickly press on the brake because the car shot back like 5 feet ha...

Before that I would always get a clunk sound probably by the transmission and differential when shifting from park to drive. Also, when I park the car, there isn't a clunk sound when going from drive to park but there is a clunk when you park and let go of the brake and the car moves forward a bit or backwards. Can any expert mechanics offer some input? I'm thinking u joints or something with the differential?

Car is under warranty but I just moved out to middle of nowhere Illinois and nearest Lexus is friggin 3 hours away.......

Thanks!
I have this exact issue. Took it to dealer, they could not replicate it. It happens on cold starts only or if I haven’t driven car for a few days. Dealer’s only suggestion was to not move into reverse immediately after turning on. So what I do now to be on safe side is turn car on, let it idle for 1.5-2 minutes and I don’t have the problem. Now if I have been driving the car consistently for days, then I don’t idle as long because it hasn’t been sitting unused for days. Not really a technical solution, just what I could think of.

Other than this, car has been great. I could complain that the ventilated seats are weak, but eh I’ll live.

I have about 5K miles, issue probably started around 3k miles id say.
Old 07-19-18, 12:59 PM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

That happens to me, but only when I wash my car and immediately park it. Once the rotors/calipers dry, the water run off forms some surface rust and will seize your brakes that you have to "break" out of and the car will clunk/lunge when you press on the accelerator.

I always try to drive a block of two to work out and fling out the excess water before parking it after a wash in the driveway.

Long term parking could do that as well, but I haven't experienced it on this car.
Old 07-19-18, 03:16 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by danwlee
That happens to me, but only when I wash my car and immediately park it. Once the rotors/calipers dry, the water run off forms some surface rust and will seize your brakes that you have to "break" out of and the car will clunk/lunge when you press on the accelerator.

I always try to drive a block of two to work out and fling out the excess water before parking it after a wash in the driveway.

Long term parking could do that as well, but I haven't experienced it on this car.
Exact same thing happened to me after I washed the car and parked it for two days. Would not move. Pressed on the accelerator very hard in both drive and reverse. Then it dawned on me that the brake pads were rusted to the rotors. Same thing happens to me when I wash my motorcycle and park it. Note to self: Always drive a few blocks after washing car or bike.
Old 07-19-18, 07:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Sounds possible the brakes are sticking, but I would also have the transmission fluid level checked on the next service. AA80E are known for having issues of many kinds if the fluid level is low, even just a little bit. There is a massive thread stickied in the IS F forum about changing the gearbox fluid that talks about this.
The following users liked this post:
TrevorR (08-04-18)
Old 08-04-18, 07:46 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sounds possible the brakes are sticking, but I would also have the transmission fluid level checked on the next service. AA80E are known for having issues of many kinds if the fluid level is low, even just a little bit. There is a massive thread stickied in the IS F forum about changing the gearbox fluid that talks about this.

Well... This ended up being the issue. Nice call! I made the 2 1/2 trip to Lexus and they heard the sound and checked transmission fluid and noted that it was low.

Now my concern is if my transmission is burning fluid...

Like I said before, the sound does not at all come from the wheels. The sound is coming from the transmission/driveshaft area.
The following users liked this post:
designo (08-06-18)
Old 08-06-18, 12:46 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

That's good news. I'm glad they sorted your issues out.
Old 08-08-18, 11:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Well... This ended up being the issue. Nice call! I made the 2 1/2 trip to Lexus and they heard the sound and checked transmission fluid and noted that it was low.

Now my concern is if my transmission is burning fluid...

Like I said before, the sound does not at all come from the wheels. The sound is coming from the transmission/driveshaft area.
Burning fluid? That would be a first. I've seen burning clutches in an autobox, but never fluid loss from burning. It's not easy to get the level right in these transmissions, so the fact it was a little low is no surprise to me.