GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Is anyone annoyed with the design of 2019 ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 03:42 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Is anyone annoyed with the design of 2019 ES350?

I know Lexus is planning to discontinue the GSF and replacing it with the ES350. But is anyone annoyed by the similar design such as headlights, grills, body shape, and trunk? One car is around 60k (Canadian) and the other one is $110k.

i know the insides of the car are completely different, but I don't want people to come over next year and say :'oh that must be the new ES350 and it looks great'

Anyone feels like this?
Old 06-04-18, 04:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The ES350 is in no way a replacement for the GS F and nor do they intend it to be. The ES350 is replacing the GS300/350 in some markets, and other markets (including US) are still waiting official announcements.

The 2019 GS F, by the way, is up on the Lexus web site. It lives on to see at least one more year.
Old 06-04-18, 04:18 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterFish
I know Lexus is planning to discontinue the GSF and replacing it with the ES350. But is anyone annoyed by the similar design such as headlights, grills, body shape, and trunk? One car is around 60k (Canadian) and the other one is $110k.

i know the insides of the car are completely different, but I don't want people to come over next year and say :'oh that must be the new ES350 and it looks great'

Anyone feels like this?
I have not heard of the GSF to ES350, just that the GS line is eventually going away and a redesigned ES is there to compensate, however I said the same thing about the looks in a different thread just the other day. Our cars are going to blend in with all the ES’s on the road.

I bought this car knowing that it’s subtle and not flashy, however it is nice to stand out a little bit. I've got a caviar black with black wheels and had a chrome delete done, so I think my calipers standing out more makes the car a little sportier looking but front and rear will look similar to the ES.
EDIT: added a pic for comparison.

Last edited by jonez; 06-04-18 at 04:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WaterFish (06-05-18)
Old 06-05-18, 11:17 AM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Enthusiasts will be able to tell the differences between a GS350 and a GSF, so enthusiasts will be able to tell between a GSF and an ES350. Non-enthusiasts think all Lexus sedans are ES350s, so does it matter that a non-enthusiast doesn't know you have an F?
Old 06-05-18, 01:07 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by danwlee
Enthusiasts will be able to tell the differences between a GS350 and a GSF, so enthusiasts will be able to tell between a GSF and an ES350. Non-enthusiasts think all Lexus sedans are ES350s, so does it matter that a non-enthusiast doesn't know you have an F?
I agree with your point on enthusiasts still recognizing the car but there's a fair amount of people who I wouldn't call an enthusiast who would still recognize that this isn't a standard or F sport Lexus. I could be wrong but I think that was his point - more non-enthusiasts will pass it off as just an ES. One pays a lot more for what is considered a rare performance car and it blends in with an economy model - that is always going to ruffle the feathers of some people.

I loved the headlights on the GS F because it was the one thing IMO that made it look like a rare lexus (yes the GS F Sport had the upgrade option, but I've never seen one with them). They are standardizing the headlights across all models now so it is what it is. Maybe I'll look at doing a retrofit of these headlights.
The following users liked this post:
WaterFish (06-06-18)
Old 06-05-18, 01:17 PM
jjman007
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

While I didn't get the GSF to stand out or be super loud (figuratively that is, I do love the noise from the v8), I still don't love the fact that it looks so similar to the new ES. I really hate the trend though of every company making all of their cars look the same, Mercedes I think has been particularly egregious with this over the past few years.
Old 06-05-18, 01:43 PM
danwlee
Driver

i might be of the minority, but i think the front and side profile looks more like an LS than a GS and the rear looks more like an evolution of the current ES than a GS. I feel like the blue makes people think they look more similar than they are. haha
Old 06-06-18, 01:02 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Every time one pulls up behind me, I think it's another GSF ! Grrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 06-06-18, 07:27 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by danwlee
i might be of the minority, but i think the front and side profile looks more like an LS than a GS and the rear looks more like an evolution of the current ES than a GS. I feel like the blue makes people think they look more similar than they are. haha
Now that you mention it, it does look closer to the LS than the GS.
Old 06-06-18, 07:45 PM
danwlee
Driver

Originally Posted by jonez
Now that you mention it, it does look closer to the LS than the GS.
Even the mirrors and the wheels are the same.

Old 06-06-18, 10:02 PM
MasterWork
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

*put flame suit on...inhales deeply*

I personally love the fact that they redesigned the ES and for once it's something I wouldn't mind as a daily driver. They finally shed the senior citizen act and made it an appealing vehicle with luxury and a hint of edgy sport design.

Would I mistake it for a GSF....probably not.
Old 06-07-18, 06:17 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MasterWork
*put flame suit on...inhales deeply*

I personally love the fact that they redesigned the ES and for once it's something I wouldn't mind as a daily driver. They finally shed the senior citizen act and made it an appealing vehicle with luxury and a hint of edgy sport design.

Would I mistake it for a GSF....probably not.
Take that suit off my friend.

My father drives a 2010 ES and I know he wants something more sporty looking. I've been trying to get him to get into an LC500 but I think he still wants a sedan. He may actually really enjoy getting the new ES.
Old 06-07-18, 07:57 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

and thats the exact market lexus is targeting. Just a little more sporty but not too sporty... I think most ES will get this headlight so they won't be mistaken from the front. I don't remember about the 13-15 but the 16+ has always had triple beam options but its been a rare sight and I don't expect that to change. It still is a rare sight on most models that have the option.
Old 06-07-18, 08:15 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by baconRx
and thats the exact market lexus is targeting. Just a little more sporty but not too sporty... I think most ES will get this headlight so they won't be mistaken from the front. I don't remember about the 13-15 but the 16+ has always had triple beam options but its been a rare sight and I don't expect that to change. It still is a rare sight on most models that have the option.
That would be nice if true. All the pictures i've seen so far of the 2019 ES have had triple beam headlights, so I'm now assuming they are showing that as an upgrade option. On the current GS models, triple beam headlights are an option only available on the F Sport, if it's the same with the ES then I'm content.
Old 06-07-18, 08:19 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Its not just fsport cause im seen it on a non before which was actually the rare rwd model. All models they promote they show the premium headlights to begin with. RC, NX, RX. Pretty sure all are produced in cookie cutter trims with very few if any with the triple beam. C&R posted their review with the standard lights. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review

Quick Reply: Is anyone annoyed with the design of 2019 ES350?