GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

2016 GSF ( ROW vs US )

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 08:39 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah some Lexus employees tried to say to save weight in the US market but that makes no sense. The GSF marketing books in every country including the US have to 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times the same. I could understand if the US version ran faster than every other GSF in the world but that's not the case.
Old 04-30-18, 10:34 PM
whaler96
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
Very valid question! There are a ton of features missing form the US GSF & like you said, some of things should have been standard on a $84k GSF!
I would be curious to know how our Canadian neighbours compare to us.
In Canada we have heated rear seats. Stereo controls in rear arm rest. Sunshades (rear auto). Auto trunk close. No spare tire. All models that I have seen have orange callipers. And we have a different interior trim, no interior carbon fibre.
Old 04-30-18, 11:35 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

What about rear side window sun shades ?
Old 05-01-18, 12:32 AM
SolidG1
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Ya there are side shades. Also the interior trim pieces are CFRP - Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer and looks more elegant like those found in a E class but looks less sporty. HUD and Mark Levinson also standard.

But one thing I will note is the Canadian versions does not have brake pad or oil change warning lights activation. Could be a good thing if you know your car status and don't need premature warnings.
Old 05-01-18, 11:38 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by SolidG1
Ya there are side shades. Also the interior trim pieces are CFRP - Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer and looks more elegant like those found in a E class but looks less sporty. HUD and Mark Levinson also standard.

But one thing I will note is the Canadian versions does not have brake pad or oil change warning lights activation. Could be a good thing if you know your car status and don't need premature warnings.
Or don't want to change your brake pads with 20% of their service life left. That's when the light comes on.

I guarantee you the reason the US model doesn't have those features is sticker price. Look at how hard these cars are to sell at MSRP, and imagine it with another $5k to $10k on top of what we have now. Those cars would sit on the lot for months before the unicorn buyer shows up and wants these things.

"comes standard in other markets" - yes, they do, but those other markets all have a higher MSRP. Best of luck fitting these things aftermarket. I haven't done all the homework, but the wiring for the trunk items had better be there or you're going to really hate life - or you'll be buying a new harness for the trunk area. IMHO, if you really want these features, you need to find a GS350 with them in a junkyard and get the parts used because buying them from Lexus as new parts will be extremely painful.

**UPDATE** the wiring harness to support the trunk is unique, and is different from the US harness. Best of luck, I think you'll need it.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-01-18 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 07:11 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Rear Sunshade.

I would love to add a power rear sunshade. That's one of the features I do miss.

Randy B
Old 05-03-18, 07:35 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

It's from a US GS350 so no worries or luck needed. I still don't buy " its pricing" idea.. but we are entitled to our opinions. If it was that simple why is it so hard for Lexus Corp in the states to give a real answer?
Old 05-03-18, 10:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy B
I would love to add a power rear sunshade. That's one of the features I do miss.

Randy B
So does my 3 month old. I will be poking at this to see if it might be easier than the trunk. Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by NotnFsport
It's from a US GS350 so no worries or luck needed. I still don't buy " its pricing" idea.. but we are entitled to our opinions. If it was that simple why is it so hard for Lexus Corp in the states to give a real answer?
I am putting LED lighted door sills in my IS F connected to the OEM power and ground. About $150 in wiring parts alone. It's going to be way more to modify a GS F harness for the trunk. Maybe your perspective on this is different because you are paying someone to make it work? It either won't be factory reliable, or it won't be cheap. I bought Lexus for reliability and a big part of that is because their electrics and their wiring are done to a higher standard than the Europeans. Hacking harnesses is never a happy day, and I will be the first to say the lighted door sills on the GS F are not factory and are not done to Lexus factory standards. Splicing in a non-existing option is fraught with peril.
Old 05-10-18, 12:19 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

OK ... a few more things I noticed.

1. My car has a chime that comes on at 120kph (70mph)
2. My car DOES NOT have that beep that tells you when to shift. I have seen other cars in the US have that!
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (05-10-18)
Old 05-10-18, 05:48 AM
SolidG1
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

According to page 95 of the manual, #1 is monitored by the speed indicator and the #2 shift beep is controlled by the rev indicator. Both can be enabled/disabled in your settings on the multi-information display.

Have you tried that?

Last edited by SolidG1; 05-10-18 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-10-18, 10:55 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by designo
OK ... a few more things I noticed.

1. My car has a chime that comes on at 120kph (70mph)
2. My car DOES NOT have that beep that tells you when to shift. I have seen other cars in the US have that!
I believe the speed has nothing to do with it BUT the mode you are driving.
The Shift Beep comes on manual mode only, you will not hear it in Auto.