GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Why I regret not wrapping the front of my car....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-18, 08:54 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Why I regret not wrapping the front of my car....

I've only had my GSF since November of last year and only have put 2,500 miles on it. Yesterday, I was passing a big rig and wasn't behind him at all and a huge basketball sized clump of dirt fell off his wheel well and caused a cloud of dirt smoke that I drove through, and his rig didn't even look at all dirty.....

It seemed like a thousand tiny rocks hit the front of my car. I got home and inspected the damage and got 2 rock chips on my right fender, 5 on my hood, a dozen on the right bumper and about a thousand on my carbon fiber piece. Oh the trim around the grill is pretty much destroyed as well with a bunch of pitting.....

I'm thinking of repainting the hood, fender, and bumper.... What about the carbon piece? Is it just clear coat over it?

Last edited by TrevorR; 09-13-18 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-09-18, 09:30 AM
biggame
Lead Lap

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR
I've only had my GSF since November of last year and only have put 2,500 miles on it. Yesterday, I was passing a big rig and wasn't behind him at all and a huge basketball sized clump of dirt fell off his wheel well and caused a cloud of dirt smoke that I drove through, and his rig didn't even look at all dirty.....

It seemed like a thousand tiny rocks hit the front of my car. I got home and inspected the damage and got 2 rock chips on my right fender, 5 on my hood, a dozen on the right bumper and about a thousand on my carbon fiber piece. Oh the trim around the grill is pretty much destroyed as well with a bunch of pitting.....

I'm thinking of repainting the hood, fender, and bumper.... What about the carbon piece? Is it just clear coat over it?

I would file a insurance claim for sand damage. The lower carbon piece lists OEM Part# 5312230240 for $5335.17 by itself. Good Luck
Old 04-09-18, 09:40 AM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to see that. A clear bra was my first "mod" and was the best investment.

I'm going to look into wrapping my Novel kit (clear) as well once it comes in.

Bubble wrap everything!

Last edited by danwlee; 04-09-18 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-09-18, 10:41 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

$1900 for the lower cf piece.
Old 04-09-18, 02:54 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

I have never had a car with carbon fiber, but could I just sand the piece and have it recleared?
Old 04-09-18, 07:14 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry to hear that - I would also suggest filing a claim.

I don't think the CF piece could be repaired either.
Old 04-14-18, 07:10 PM
hvdcman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paint Protection Film is very first item on my list when I bought my car. Also I have been using windshield film on both my GSF and my commuter car (CT200h). Glad I did it, as one day on way to work, something hit the car from an overpass, tore a hole in the hood and hit the windshield cracking the entire windshield. The hole punctured at the base and went all the way to the dashboard looked like a concrete form stake impression. Anyway, no glass came inside the car as the windshield is also tinted on the inside.
Old 04-15-18, 01:04 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Well I don't really care for paint protection as I expect a few rock chips here and there as I do drive the car and I'm more concerned about functionality and performance over aesthetics.

Although, when I got like 100 in a span of 3 seconds, then I questioned if I should've gotten something to wrap the front end.
Old 04-22-18, 06:54 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Even with clear bra it's not bulletproof. It does protect you from very tiny stones, anything big, especially the one that hit your car would have cracked the paint underneath the clear bra. You would still see the damage, but it won't be as bad looking though. And of course when the time comes to remove / replace the film, the paint will come off with the film.
Old 04-22-18, 08:37 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Even with clear bra it's not bulletproof. It does protect you from very tiny stones, anything big, especially the one that hit your car would have cracked the paint underneath the clear bra. You would still see the damage, but it won't be as bad looking though. And of course when the time comes to remove / replace the film, the paint will come off with the film.
Yeah, I always viewed these wraps as a waste of money. It was just this one instance where I said "crap I should've wrapped" but I drive the car so its gonna get road rash here and there.
Old 04-25-18, 06:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

sounds like a job for Dr Color Chip
Old 04-26-18, 01:27 AM
szilu
Rookie

Really? I thought you could just simply change it if gets used. If that is the case I shall re-think wrapping...
Old 04-26-18, 04:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

paint wont come off with the film unless you have an incompetent installer. It has to be heated and pulled off at the right angle
Old 04-26-18, 05:00 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I should have been more clear in my initial post.
The cracked paint will come off with the film.
Old 04-26-18, 09:16 AM
szilu
Rookie

Red face

I should have been more clear in my initial post.
The cracked paint will come off with the film.
OK, thanks!

Quick Reply: Why I regret not wrapping the front of my car....