GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Owned (2x) IS Fs - Thinking About GS F

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 01:44 PM
adplusone
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Owned (2x) IS Fs - Thinking About GS F

Owned a 2013 as well as a 2014 IS F and loved both of them.

Looking at a GS F...anyone else had experience in both?

Thoughts?
Old 01-15-18, 04:23 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Moderator lobuxracer has both. has both do a search for his posts.

But, he likes his ISF better than his wife's GSF

Lou
Old 01-15-18, 06:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Moderator lobuxracer has both. has both do a search for his posts.

But, he likes his ISF better than his wife's GSF

Lou
Yes indeed. Still true, although I have found I like the car a lot better with the TVD in track and the mode set to Sport (not Sport+). It still isn't as spunky feeling as my IS F with OS Giken LSD though. I just broke a two and a half week stretch of driving the GS F exclusively after the wife delivered our new son Kyle on January 1st.
Facebook Post
She could not drive at all, and the GS F definitely has more back seat than the IS F, so we four were going everywhere in the GS. Yesterday the wife and I got a sitter and went to the movies, so the sitter got the GS and we took the IS (way easier than juggling car seats around). It feels very different, and even with the latest steering ECU installed and calibrated, the steering on the IS feels a lot heavier than the GS. Not in a bad way, but noticeably more effort.

The throttle on the GS feels very different as well because it is hinged at the floor, not at the top, so I've had to learn to reposition my foot for smooth throttle control in the GS. The GS has OEM brake pads, and the IS has Carbotech XP12s, so the brake feel is completely different with the GS feeling like high effort compared to the IS, but that's purely pad selection. Both cars stop very quickly and smoothly.

I really love the tech in the GS. I use the HUD all the time and love it. Love being able to put music on a flash drive and play it effortlessly, same with A2DP on my phone. The G meter is cool. Seeing your tire pressures directly is awesome. I do not love the lane assist, the precollision braking, or the radar cruise control. They actually annoy me so I have them turned off all the time. If you like to text and drive, you might find them helpful, but they're aids to poor driving IMHO.

The gearbox feels a little clunky compared to the IS. I have not adjusted the level in it, so it might be a slight level issue, but it really does feel a little sloppier than the IS with the level set correctly. Of course the IS with the level low is way worse than anything...

The seats are harder and the bolsters smaller. The wife prefers long drives in the IS because the seats are more comfortable in her opinion, and I don't disagree. They allow significantly more lateral movement than the IS F seats when cornering at higher g's.

The suspension is more compliant in the GS. Along with more compliant is a propensity for the rear end to wallow a bit when pushed. Not a limiting factor to going fast, but I was a little surprised to find this out when I was pushing the car about 9/10s.

I have a lot of miles on both platforms and switch between them often. If you have a specific question I didn't address, just ask. I'm more than happy to give my impression.

And BTW, neither these cars is anything at all like my Supra.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-15-18 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 06:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Forgot one really important thing - the lighting on the GS F is so much better than any IS F it's not even funny. The LED headlights totally rock. I would LOVE to retrofit them into my IS F because they are so much better.
Old 01-15-18, 07:05 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

C O N G R A T A L A T I O N S - L A N C E !!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you YOUR (NOT THE) Wife are VERY happy, Kyle looks adorable

Lou
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (01-15-18)
Old 01-15-18, 10:26 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Congrats as well Lance!! Kids are a blessing

I too am probably going to go the GSF route here later this year possibly as I'm expecting my 3rd in August and need a bigger backseat which fits my situation just perfect
lobuxracer (01-16-18)
Old 01-16-18, 01:43 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

So the backstory to this is, I was pushing for a Cayenne GTS. She decided for the GS F, and did the whole deal herself...
Old 01-16-18, 09:19 AM
gsfdream
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes indeed. Still true, although I have found I like the car a lot better with the TVD in track and the mode set to Sport (not Sport+). It still isn't as spunky feeling as my IS F with OS Giken LSD though. I just broke a two and a half week stretch of driving the GS F exclusively after the wife delivered our new son Kyle on January 1st. delivered our new son Kyle on January 1st
She could not drive at all, and the GS F definitely has more back seat than the IS F, so we four were going everywhere in the GS. Yesterday the wife and I got a sitter and went to the movies, so the sitter got the GS and we took the IS (way easier than juggling car seats around). It feels very different, and even with the latest steering ECU installed and calibrated, the steering on the IS feels a lot heavier than the GS. Not in a bad way, but noticeably more effort.

The throttle on the GS feels very different as well because it is hinged at the floor, not at the top, so I've had to learn to reposition my foot for smooth throttle control in the GS. The GS has OEM brake pads, and the IS has Carbotech XP12s, so the brake feel is completely different with the GS feeling like high effort compared to the IS, but that's purely pad selection. Both cars stop very quickly and smoothly.

I really love the tech in the GS. I use the HUD all the time and love it. Love being able to put music on a flash drive and play it effortlessly, same with A2DP on my phone. The G meter is cool. Seeing your tire pressures directly is awesome. I do not love the lane assist, the precollision braking, or the radar cruise control. They actually annoy me so I have them turned off all the time. If you like to text and drive, you might find them helpful, but they're aids to poor driving IMHO.

The gearbox feels a little clunky compared to the IS. I have not adjusted the level in it, so it might be a slight level issue, but it really does feel a little sloppier than the IS with the level set correctly. Of course the IS with the level low is way worse than anything...

The seats are harder and the bolsters smaller. The wife prefers long drives in the IS because the seats are more comfortable in her opinion, and I don't disagree. They allow significantly more lateral movement than the IS F seats when cornering at higher g's.

The suspension is more compliant in the GS. Along with more compliant is a propensity for the rear end to wallow a bit when pushed. Not a limiting factor to going fast, but I was a little surprised to find this out when I was pushing the car about 9/10s.

I have a lot of miles on both platforms and switch between them often. If you have a specific question I didn't address, just ask. I'm more than happy to give my impression.

And BTW, neither these cars is anything at all like my Supra.

what to you mean by this? how do you adjust the levels ????
Old 01-16-18, 10:38 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The fluid level in the gearbox. On the IS F, the gearbox is very sensitive to low fluid levels. Even a few ounces low caused flaring under certain conditions. The GS F gearbox has not had any flare issues I've noticed, but the clutch engagement has been noticeably clunky on the GS F compared to the IS F. Both have the AA80E gearbox, so it pretty much has to be the TCU programming or the fluid level might be a little low. No way to be sure without setting the fluid level (you can't actually "check" it, you can only adjust it from too much to just right).
Old 01-16-18, 11:30 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats on the new addition Lance.

Dave
Old 01-16-18, 04:34 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had both and I personally like the GSF better than the ISF for a lot of the reasons already stated.

In summary, the TVD, better suspension/handling, better seats, and just the newer technology makes the GSF superior to the ISF IMO.
Old 01-16-18, 05:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Autobacs
I have had both and I personally like the GSF better than the ISF for a lot of the reasons already stated.

In summary, the TVD, better suspension/handling, better seats, and just the newer technology makes the GSF superior to the ISF IMO.
Disagree with TVD, "better" suspension/handling, better seats. I like all three of these things better in the IS F with my OS Giken differential. The IS F always feels planted, never floaty, the GS F is floaty in the back end when you push it. The IS F seats have never made my back writhe in agony on a long trip. The OS Giken diff works better than any setting I have found on the TVD and it is much, much lighter. I like the IS F better especially in the middle of turn 10 at CMP at 105 mph, and I don't like that I have four button presses every time I get in the GS F just to make it drive closer to the IS F in normal mode.

If you had both at the same time and drove them back to back especially for long distances you might see it differently.
Old 01-16-18, 05:43 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Disagree with TVD, "better" suspension/handling, better seats. I like all three of these things better in the IS F with my OS Giken differential. The IS F always feels planted, never floaty, the GS F is floaty in the back end when you push it. The IS F seats have never made my back writhe in agony on a long trip. The OS Giken diff works better than any setting I have found on the TVD and it is much, much lighter. I like the IS F better especially in the middle of turn 10 at CMP at 105 mph, and I don't like that I have four button presses every time I get in the GS F just to make it drive closer to the IS F in normal mode.

If you had both at the same time and drove them back to back especially for long distances you might see it differently.
The OS Ginken Differential is a HUGE difference over the electronic LSD of the 2008 so it would not be a fair comparison. Not that it bothered me but the ISF was most definitely harsh compared to the GSF, so much so that it was even harsher than my GTR. That I am sure of because I remembered that the first time I drove my GTR. As far as seats, there is so much variance as far as body shape/size so each preference is valid.

In any case, both cars are in a different class that a comparison is almost moot.
Old 01-16-18, 07:43 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flowrider
C O N G R A T A L A T I O N S - L A N C E !!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you YOUR (NOT THE) Wife are VERY happy, Kyle looks adorable

Lou
Congratulations on your new little addition. You have a beautiful family. What a blessing!
Old 01-17-18, 06:32 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats Lance on beautiful baby.

ADPLUSONE,
I had my ISF for 6 years and what a unique car. The car was unique in the way it handled compared to RCF and GSF. Compared I quickly realized the ISF is lighter, roll out was very neutral, midrange and top end after headers made car much more responsive. I wish I would have never sold the way the engine responds in respect to drivetrain and chassis is great. The car was extremely reliable over the 110K miles I owned and under my very spirited driving. Also the current owner has 178K and its still going strong. Which further sold me on the F brand.

RCF, was also a very nice car but going from a four door to a 2 door was not the best decision with a 3 and 4 year old. Interestingly enough they had slightly more room in RCF than ISF possibly due to the way the back of the seats are molded. RCF off the bat felt slower. Its true you definitely can feel the weight difference but once became accustomed it felt like a heavy Porsche the way the rear axle felt compared to seat position. (Best way I can explain). The TVD helped make the car. You have to drive to feel under many situations the finite corrections it inputs to the driving experience is a lot of fun.

GSF, I had a little over a week and so so happy I made the purchase. Previously owning the GS 350 Fsport I was very happy with the interior and "ride". the GSF is ofcoarse a level up and all around one of the best cars for the money I have ever driven. the TVD, Larger screen, space, looks, consistent performance and reliability is why I am still with Lexus 8 years later. AND AND I have 8 years of unlimited mileage warranty backed by great brand! How could I go wrong!
MileHIFcar (01-17-18)

Quick Reply: Owned (2x) IS Fs - Thinking About GS F