GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

New Club Lexus member

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 03:36 AM
perfectbou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Club Lexus member

Hello, long post from a first time member.

I just bought a '17 Caviar/Circuit red GS F and wanted to say it is fantastic. I came from a '14 GS 350 (non F Sport) and the difference is dramatic (not that I thought there would be any similarities). Before getting it I did the usual research to familiarize myself with all of the features including the Safety System +. I was excited about picking up the car but was slightly bummed that only the '18 MY had the All Speed Dynamic Cruise Control or the Lane Keep Assist. However, as I reviewed the window sticker my dealer had emailed I noticed that it, in fact, did have the All Speed and not the High-Speed CC along with the Lane Keep Assist! I haven't tested the All Speed yet but the Lane Keep Assist does work as advertised.

When I picked up the car the HUD did not work and even the Lexus Technology guru could not get it to work. So, after driving it for 10 mins it went back in for its first service...I waited about 90 mins while they were "fixing" the HUD. The excitement was wearing off and being replaced by surprise and then anger as I could not believe no one had caught that problem before delivery. They said it was fixed, I got in the car and found it wasn't. So, the technician came out and adjusted the height level "fixing" the HUD. Why Lexus would make the HUD so adjustable that you could move it outside the view area is beyond me! When I got home I realized the HUD "disappeared" again and was about to call my dealer about it but then it occurred to me that maybe the HUD was part of the seat memory setting...lo and behold it was now "fixed." I am still a little surprised that Lexus made this so adjustable as to disappear and that no one in the dealership knew about the seat memory.

Some early thoughts:
Other than just to test the remote start app I never use it to start the car as I really enjoy getting in it and hearing the engine fire up for the first time in all of its V-8 glory! She is a keeper and a daily driver in the Northeast so I do need to get her some winter rubber soon. V-8 feels strong to me but then again I am not comparing it to an Audi S/RS, MB E63, or M3/5. For a more direct comparison, my other cars have always had Audi's NA V-8 or supercharged 6 (B6 S4, B8 S4, C7 A6, MKII Q7) and do like this engine just as much but to be honest she only has few hundred miles yet so need to get some more time with her.

In Normal mode, the suspension is very compliant for something that can handle so well. Even in Sport S + (what the heck is the extra "S" even for?) the ride is firmer but still livable to me. I am assuming that the adaptive suspension is playing a role in how she feels. It is strange though that you cannot adjust the AVS independently of the driver modes but it does keep it simple so no complaints here.

Those seats are great, look kick@ss in red and fit very well even with only 10-way adjustability. I do, however, wish one could adjust how much the molded headrest cushion pushes out...just need it to go in a little without having to resort to more back incline. The Audi S one-piece seats always felt more confining with too much pressure, especially in the thigh areas. They were generally harder as well.

The Mark Levinson does sound fantastic as all of the reviewers have said and is a worthwhile upgrade for its comparatively modest sum (I'm talking to you Audi and your B&O upgrade for $5k). Voices are clear and there's substantial bass that is smooth, not boomy. The difference in bass was the first thing I noticed when compared to the B&O in the S4 or the Bose in the Q7 and is an upgrade from both them.

Also, who approved that mouse interface!?!?!? I hated it in my '14 GS and still hate it here. I kind of wish the trackpad from the RC F had made it over (can only assume it can't any worse)...I will say that using the voice recognition and saying the entire address has worked spot on for me so far. Thankfully, allowing me to avoid that contraption that Lexus calls a user interface.

Finally, just wanted to note that the other day while closing the trunk I noticed it makes this strange motor whirring sound and was surprised to find it was a soft close mechanism. This feature wasn't listed on the window sticker so thought it was cool that it is there (although, I'm not used to gently closing any trunk). I wonder if there are any other touches that Lexus included that is not listed on the window sticker.

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-07-17, 06:18 AM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL. I know what you mean about the HUD. I thought mine was broken too until I read the manual and adjusted it. Are you sure your HUD was not working? I thought mine was broken when it kept showing the speed limit and not the rev limiter, which apparently only shows up if you switch it to manual mode. Is that your experience too? Also are you sure you have the safety features that were meant for the 2018? If you do not mind me asking what is the last 4 digits of your VIN.
Old 11-07-17, 07:16 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

welcome! congrats on the GSF
The following users liked this post:
perfectbou (11-07-17)
Old 11-07-17, 02:03 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome and congrats. I’m also considering the switch from a plain GS 350F Sport to a GS F.
What kind of deal did you get?
Old 11-07-17, 04:18 PM
perfectbou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by reyrey127
Welcome to CL. I know what you mean about the HUD. I thought mine was broken too until I read the manual and adjusted it. Are you sure your HUD was not working? I thought mine was broken when it kept showing the speed limit and not the rev limiter, which apparently only shows up if you switch it to manual mode. Is that your experience too? Also are you sure you have the safety features that were meant for the 2018? If you do not mind me asking what is the last 4 digits of your VIN.
Thanks!
The HUD was working but its position was set so high that it wasn't visible. I wasn't able to get the rev counter to show unless the Lane Departure Alert is turned off but not sure about its behavior in manual mode as I haven't tried it yet. I am not 100% sure on whether or not it has the 2018 safety features as I've only briefly tested the Lane Keep Assist in a curve which seemed to work but it was raining so did not try it again. I will try the All-Speed this weekend. Here is a close up of my window sticker. My # is 2445. Not sure if it means anything but I was looking at a white '17 whose VIN ended in 2390 and it also had the All-Speed and Lane Keep Assist on its window sticker.
Attached Thumbnails New Club Lexus member-screen-shot-2017-11-07-at-7.07.54-pm.png  
Old 11-07-17, 04:46 PM
perfectbou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Welcome and congrats. I’m also considering the switch from a plain GS 350F Sport to a GS F.
What kind of deal did you get?
Thanks!
Leased it for $799/42mos/10k yr with $5300 total out of pocket. This includes the final 5 lease payments on the '14 GS 350 and included a 48 mos wheel and tire warranty. This is not the Lexus one but a third party that Lexus said I could take to any Lexus dealer with no out of pocket or deductible. I went with this one as it covers unlimited cosmetic damage...curbs have an almost magnetic attraction to the missus...Finance guy, who happens to own a GS F said that he preferred this one over the Lexus one since you can bend the rim and as long as it holds air Lexus will not warranty it. Not sure how easy it is to bend a forged wheel but any vibration from that would drive me bonkers! Also, this dealer had a white '16 stickered for $69k but always regretted not getting an adaptive suspension in my other car so was willing to pay more for the AVS in the '17.

I did almost go with another lease for $699/48mos w/Lexus tire & wheel/$5500 total out of pocket. He was willing to lease it for zero out of pocket for $817 for the same deal. I am not 100% on the $817 (it was definitely low $800) as I didn't write it down since by this point I was set on the new '17. This was in white with the HUD/ML/Orange brakes/Polished rims/accessory pack 2 but was a dealer demo with 2700mi. This seemed a good deal as the body was mint but there were some smallish scratches on two of the rims.
Old 11-12-17, 11:34 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like a good deal. Enjoy. But when you take a break from driving, post some pics!
perfectbou (11-13-17)
Old 11-12-17, 07:44 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by perfectbou
Also, who approved that mouse interface!?!?!? I hated it in my '14 GS and still hate it here. I kind of wish the trackpad from the RC F had made it over (can only assume it can't any worse)...I will say that using the voice recognition and saying the entire address has worked spot on for me so far. Thankfully, allowing me to avoid that contraption that Lexus calls a user interface.
Different strokes for different folks. I had the RCF before i got the GSF, and that trackpad was the worst piece of thing on the car and make me F!@$ mad causing frustration all the time because it was so flimsy& the buttons would press on there own.
I HATED that damn track pad! My ES has the Mouse Interface and i loved it as it was so accurate and spot on. I'm soooo Glad the GSF has the same track pad and a Larger Screen! Amen!
Old 11-12-17, 09:20 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
Different strokes for different folks. I had the RCF before i got the GSF, and that trackpad was the worst piece of thing on the car and make me F!@$ mad causing frustration all the time because it was so flimsy& the buttons would press on there own.
I HATED that damn track pad! My ES has the Mouse Interface and i loved it as it was so accurate and spot on. I'm soooo Glad the GSF has the same track pad and a Larger Screen! Amen!
Yep I like the trackpad in the GSF too. I traded my 2016 RX350 for the 2017 GSF a couple weeks ago and while they share the same mouse thingy, the GSF has the clicking thing in the mouse and makes the experience much better. The RX had a free range mouse and I overshot apps a lot.
Old 11-13-17, 12:00 AM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey perfectbou, how do you know you have Lane Keep Assist and the Advanced Cruise Control? I️ am kinda curious now to see if I have it! Thanks.
Old 11-13-17, 06:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to CL.
perfectbou (11-13-17)
Old 11-13-17, 02:26 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

How do we figure out which '17 cars have "all-speed" cruise control and which have the old system?
Old 11-13-17, 04:31 PM
perfectbou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by finny76
Thanks for the counter point and I do appreciate that giant screen. I did notice that the GS F does have enter buttons on the side unlike my older GS 350 so hoping that will make a difference.
Old 11-13-17, 04:35 PM
perfectbou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by reyrey127
Hey perfectbou, how do you know you have Lane Keep Assist and the Advanced Cruise Control? I️ am kinda curious now to see if I have it! Thanks.
I am not 100% sure as I only noticed it because my window sticker explicitly lists those two features whereas the Lexus Safety+ brochure says it should not. I wanted to test this weekend but the weather was a little too cold and the dealer says that the Winter Sottozero 2 rears are on backorder.
Old 11-13-17, 04:41 PM
perfectbou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NewSpace
How do we figure out which '17 cars have "all-speed" cruise control and which have the old system?
From what I read, if you can set cruise below 25 MpH this means you have All Speed instead of the high speed which starts at +25 MPH. Coincidentally, the other ‘17 MY GS F (dealer demo) I almost bought also showed the All Speed and Lane Keep Assist on it’s window sticker as well.

Quick Reply: New Club Lexus member