GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

XPEL or 3M Vehicle Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-17, 06:16 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Question XPEL or 3M Vehicle Wrap

Anyone got their GS-F wrapped yet Looking at doing the front and have a few questions:

1. What is the a good price if doing the front end (Hood,Bumper,Mirrors, Lights etc...)
2. Are there precut kits ready? If so how difficult is it to install yourself?

I'm in the DFW (Dallas/Forth Worth Area) so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 10-28-17, 06:30 AM
DennisGSF
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I got XPEL full hood, bumper, fenders, and mirrors done as well as ceramic pro. Got it done by excessive detailing in Houston TX.
Old 10-28-17, 06:56 AM
13FSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I used the new Suntek Ultimate on the whole car with Ceramic Pro. Suntek has less orange peel then Xpel. 3M turns yellow really quick.
Old 10-28-17, 09:57 AM
finny76
Advanced

Exclamation

Has anyone have any experience with the Pre cut kits? If so how difficult/easy is it to do an install yourself?

ClearMask - Kits

Invisible Mask - Kits

XPEL - Kits
Old 10-29-17, 08:13 AM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
Has anyone have any experience with the Pre cut kits? If so how difficult/easy is it to do an install yourself?

ClearMask - Kits

Invisible Mask - Kits

XPEL - Kits
I've had pre-cut kits from Xpel installed on some of my cars and they are pretty spot on. I wouldn't recommend trying to install yourself
unless you have experience with installing film or tint. If you're going through the trouble of a paint protective film you want it to look perfect,
and correct me if I'm wrong, but the warranty only applies if done by a certified installer?
Old 10-29-17, 11:37 AM
finny76
Advanced

I was only planning to some areas myself but leave the difficult ones for an installer (rear bumper) and other areas that have lots of curves or edges.
Old 10-29-17, 05:16 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Expel.

I have Expel on mine, hood, front bumper, fenders and mirrors.

Randy B
Old 10-29-17, 06:42 PM
finny76
Advanced

Question

Originally Posted by DennisGSF
I got XPEL full hood, bumper, fenders, and mirrors done as well as ceramic pro. Got it done by excessive detailing in Houston TX.
So if you are wrapping your car is the Ceramic Pro needed?
Old 10-30-17, 08:33 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

finny76, paint protection film is not an easy craft. While you might have luck installing a pre-cut yourself, I would recommend going with a professional installer. There are a few installers in your area that offer 3M Pro Series. I'm not completely familiar with these shops, but some offer an additional guarantee against paint damage.

Originally Posted by 13FSPORT
I used the new Suntek Ultimate on the whole car with Ceramic Pro. Suntek has less orange peel then Xpel. 3M turns yellow really quick.
Sorry to hear of your experience. 3M paint protection film has always covered yellowing. The newest version of Pro Series does as well (10 years). Might have been an older version of 3M, but you should have been covered for parts and labor either way.
Old 10-30-17, 06:36 PM
finny76
Advanced

Question

Originally Posted by AeroTect
finny76, paint protection film is not an easy craft. While you might have luck installing a pre-cut yourself, I would recommend going with a professional installer. There are a few installers in your area that offer 3M Pro Series. I'm not completely familiar with these shops, but some offer an additional guarantee against paint damage.

Sorry to hear of your experience. 3M paint protection film has always covered yellowing. The newest version of Pro Series does as well (10 years). Might have been an older version of 3M, but you should have been covered for parts and labor either way.
Ive done some basic XPEL install on small parts and anything else interesting enough to wrap & so I'm pretty confident i can do it myself, but you do have valid point with going with a Professional Installer.

That being said the average quote for "XPEL Ultimate" for complete Front End (Bumper, Headlights, Full Hood, Fenders, Mirrors & door trims/handles) is $1300. Several shops have quoted me that figure.

Now the question is, how much would a 3M or Suntek install be?

Last edited by finny76; 10-30-17 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-30-17, 09:23 PM
13FSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroTect
...Sorry to hear of your experience. 3M paint protection film has always covered yellowing. The newest version of Pro Series does as well (10 years). Might have been an older version of 3M, but you should have been covered for parts and labor either way.

I have never used 3M. I'm just going off what I've seen and heard from other installers.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-30-17 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-31-17, 09:07 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
That being said the average quote for "XPEL Ultimate" for complete Front End (Bumper, Headlights, Full Hood, Fenders, Mirrors & door trims/handles) is $1300. Several shops have quoted me that figure.

Now the question is, how much would a 3M or Suntek install be?
Unfortunately I can't quote on behalf of a shop, however, material costs to the shop are probably going to be close between 3M Pro Series and Xpel. Suntek might be a little bit cheaper, however, the material is measurably thinner, offering less protection.

Originally Posted by 13FSPORT
I have never used 3M. I'm just going off what I've seen and heard from other installers.
Older film technologies might have performed differently - 3M invented PPF in the 60's and while it really started to hit the automotive aftermarket in the 90's there have been many variations over the years.

We're hoping to host (or at least attend), a local CL event soon so we can show off our latest and greatest PPF.
Old 06-02-20, 06:47 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I just had the full front end done with Xpel. Came out nice. This car is a rock chip magnet, I already have coupe of chips on my fender and CF lip. It wasn't cheap but you cant even tell if its on, They had the car for 3 days.
Old 06-03-20, 06:14 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm also doing this over the summer. Expensive, but worth it. I have it on my Supra and it doesn't have a single chip on it. It's not impervious to chips, but as long as you are careful and don't tail gate, it helps a lot.

STeve
Old 06-03-20, 02:10 PM
4evervbp
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have install 3M Pro Series full front end installation done by myself 80% of it and 20% of it with the help of my friend. It was our first time ever to install a full clear bra. Overall I would rate it about 5 out of 10 for difficulty doing it yourself. Cost me about $700 to do my whole front end.
I would say you could do side mirror, headlights, full hood, and fenders yourself without any help. But for the Bumper section you need help. With all the curves you need a ton of patience. Make sure you buy all the right tools. It will make your job a lot easier.
Also I only mess up on the bumper twice. So, I had to buy an extra set for the front bumper. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: XPEL or 3M Vehicle Wrap