GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

What Daily Driving a GS-F has taught me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 02:50 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default What Daily Driving a GS-F has taught me.

So 5 months into ownership and 2,500 miles on my F. When I first bought the car, I said to myself I had to get the clear bra done right away for the rock chips and got it coated in Ceramic Pro to maximize my protection on the paint, and ease of cleaning with less swirls etc.

Yesterday when washing the car, I noticed a rock chip on my roof, and rock chips on my Calipers, it shows more because of the orange. Now with my previous 14 IS I was totally **** about the car. Every little chip or scratch would upset me. With my F, I saw the defects and said, "wow great, I'll just get some touch-up paint I guess". Right down my block they are digging up the road and that is the only way I can explain the chips on the Calipers as for the roof I guess from highway driving. Gotta love NY lol. Could I have done this with my power washer? its only 1700 PSI.

Anyway point of this thread, it has taught me that no matter what you do you cannot avoid the inevitable when it comes to your car being exposed to the natural elements. I did all I could do with protection I felt was necessary, and still had these things happen. I thought even if i didn't daily this car, I could take it for a spin on a Saturday or Sunday and these things could still happen. The only way to keep the car perfect is to not drive it at all. Well I didnt pay all this money to watch the car sit. I've learned to enjoy my GS-F more and just take it as it comes and not be so **** about every little defect. Hope this helps any other members who are crazy **** about their car.

Happy Driving Everyone!
The following 7 users liked this post by CobraGSF:
Bzguy78 (05-03-17), Dennis1123 (04-30-17), Htowncory (05-08-17), lobuxracer (05-07-17), OceanGrown (05-01-17), SHuerta11 (05-11-17), TrevorTran (05-08-17) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-30-17, 08:22 PM
NextLevelG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my GS-F full front XPEL clear bra put on a few weeks ago because I hated the rock chips on my old G37. If a rock chip happens somewhere else on the car I don't think I would mind so much but I just hated the 80 rock chips I got on the front of the G. Nothing will be perfect but I always try to keep it as showroom perfect for as long as possible. I just have to keep parking far out in the parking lot to try and stop the door dings which will eventually happen I guess.
Old 05-01-17, 01:17 PM
tq745
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

5 months and only 2500 miles on it? I average about 1200 miles per month and I live on an island lol.

I too did the same with mine, got the entire front end plus rocker panes wrapped with clearguard nano. I know the feeling when it comes to damages...i cringe whenever i see swirl marks. Enjoy your GSF, I know I do...
Old 05-01-17, 01:41 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Add me to the list too with the protection and the pain.
Old 05-03-17, 09:33 AM
Bzguy78
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

At Cobragsf I totally understand where you are coming from, I am also totally crazy about rock chips or dings of any kind, so as soon as I got the F I had xpel installed on the whole front end and c quartz on top of it. But if you drive this car the way it is meant to be driven, no amount of protection will avoid rock chips, the xpel will prevent some but hard impact even small rocks esp on highway can not prevented. We just have to enjoy the car and not worry too much about it I guess.
Old 05-03-17, 02:34 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bzguy78
At Cobragsf I totally understand where you are coming from, I am also totally crazy about rock chips or dings of any kind, so as soon as I got the F I had xpel installed on the whole front end and c quartz on top of it. But if you drive this car the way it is meant to be driven, no amount of protection will avoid rock chips, the xpel will prevent some but hard impact even small rocks esp on highway can not prevented. We just have to enjoy the car and not worry too much about it I guess.
Old 05-05-17, 01:31 PM
Bzguy78
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

@16GSF00336 lol
Old 05-08-17, 07:01 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraGSF
So 5 months into ownership and 2,500 miles on my F. When I first bought the car, I said to myself I had to get the clear bra done right away for the rock chips and got it coated in Ceramic Pro to maximize my protection on the paint, and ease of cleaning with less swirls etc.

Yesterday when washing the car, I noticed a rock chip on my roof, and rock chips on my Calipers, it shows more because of the orange. Now with my previous 14 IS I was totally **** about the car. Every little chip or scratch would upset me. With my F, I saw the defects and said, "wow great, I'll just get some touch-up paint I guess". Right down my block they are digging up the road and that is the only way I can explain the chips on the Calipers as for the roof I guess from highway driving. Gotta love NY lol. Could I have done this with my power washer? its only 1700 PSI.

Anyway point of this thread, it has taught me that no matter what you do you cannot avoid the inevitable when it comes to your car being exposed to the natural elements. I did all I could do with protection I felt was necessary, and still had these things happen. I thought even if i didn't daily this car, I could take it for a spin on a Saturday or Sunday and these things could still happen. The only way to keep the car perfect is to not drive it at all. Well I didnt pay all this money to watch the car sit. I've learned to enjoy my GS-F more and just take it as it comes and not be so **** about every little defect. Hope this helps any other members who are crazy **** about their car.

Happy Driving Everyone!
When I was young, I was pretty OCD about my cars.
Now, I have two little girls to keep me busy (and a big girl Im married too!), and plenty of distractions daily.

Now dont get me wrong, rock chips, etc bug me, but Im a little less sensitive about it as I used to be.

I have been contemplating the clear bra, I need to get it done. Especially with the CF front lip, that thing will get eaten up with rocks im afraid.
Old 11-03-17, 06:29 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by CobraGSF

Happy Driving Everyone!
That is exactly where i am, after owing a beautiful White GS-F for about a week. I have an appointment for SUNTEK wrap soon as i dont want to take any risks. I did end up scraping the bottom of my front fender (not noticeable unless you get under the car and look). Its bothering me knowing its there so now contemplating to get it fixed before doing a SUNTEK wrap.

Last edited by finny76; 11-03-17 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-03-17, 02:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

It's the wife's car. I'll save the money for the protection to apply to the first respray at 5 years old. I am a whole lot more concerned about that $4k piece of carbon fiber on the front bumper cover getting mashed into a parking stop. We've had the conversation, and she's quite a bit better about not molesting her wheels on every available curb, but I know it is her car and I know how she will treat it, and I really know how futile it is to attempt to protect it from her. FWIW, I was the one who put the first scuff on a wheel.
Old 11-03-17, 03:31 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Unhappy

Yeah, I was VERY surprised with the price on that piece as well.......When I looked it up...

Almost the price for a whole JDM CF bodykit...

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's the wife's car. I'll save the money for the protection to apply to the first respray at 5 years old. I am a whole lot more concerned about that $4k piece of carbon fiber on the front bumper cover getting mashed into a parking stop. We've had the conversation, and she's quite a bit better about not molesting her wheels on every available curb, but I know it is her car and I know how she will treat it, and I really know how futile it is to attempt to protect it from her. FWIW, I was the one who put the first scuff on a wheel.