GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Is the GS-F dead?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 05:25 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I hadn't ever considered the GS F at all. The wife suggested it when I said, "If you want more room, let's get a Cayenne GTS" and when we shopped them she didn't like the prices. No, the discussion wasn't nearly that compact, but if you boil it down, that's what happened.

I like the GS F. I love my IS F. They are very different.

When she suggested the GS F, I did not know about the incentives. I would never have bought the car at anything north of $75k. When I saw she'd worked a deal for $66k, I thought, "only $11k more than my IS F, and it does have a lot of nice creature comforts the IS does not have" so, it wasn't hard to give the green light to the purchase. That never would have happened if sticker, or even $10k off sticker was the firm price.

Lexus is not listening. I made a very clear request - keep the weight down! I had it relayed to people in a position to have an impact, and here we are with 4000 lb cars - both the RC F and the GS F - so they're not going to make a head and shoulders difference over the competition. It really is all about curb weight, and they just don't want to accept simple physics.
Your wife is a hell of a negotiator to get a GS-F at $66K, you got a outstanding deal from what I have been reading unless others I am not aware of are getting deals like that.

The weight is disappointing, especially with the RC and RC-F
Old 04-22-17, 06:14 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I hadn't ever considered the GS F at all. The wife suggested it when I said, "If you want more room, let's get a Cayenne GTS" and when we shopped them she didn't like the prices. No, the discussion wasn't nearly that compact, but if you boil it down, that's what happened.

When she suggested the GS F, I did not know about the incentives. I would never have bought the car at anything north of $75k. When I saw she'd worked a deal for $66k, I thought, "only $11k more than my IS F, and it does have a lot of nice creature comforts the IS does not have" so, it wasn't hard to give the green light to the purchase. That never would have happened if sticker, or even $10k off sticker was the firm price.

Lexus is not listening. I made a very clear request - keep the weight down! I had it relayed to people in a position to have an impact, and here we are with 4000 lb cars - both the RC F and the GS F - so they're not going to make a head and shoulders difference over the competition. It really is all about curb weight, and they just don't want to accept simple physics.
Im very curious what dealer that was
Old 04-22-17, 06:42 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,211 Likes on 632 Posts

Either lose some weight or gain some torque!! 389 lb-ft at 4800 rpm won't get that car moving as quickly as other similar sedans.
Old 04-23-17, 01:33 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

It is indeed shocking that the Lexus GSF flopped like this. I don't see this model pricing itself out of the market.. I mean.. just compare it's prices to the german counterparts... you get what you pay for. The M5 and E63 and RS6 are way over priced... and the GSF sits there conveniently within the affordability bracket.

But consumers today are merciless, and the fact that the German counterparts depreciate like hell, the GSF all of a sudden seems overpriced.
Old 04-23-17, 09:16 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Im very curious what dealer that was
Nalley Lexus in Roswell, GA.
Old 04-23-17, 10:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
It is indeed shocking that the Lexus GSF flopped like this. I don't see this model pricing itself out of the market.. I mean.. just compare it's prices to the german counterparts... you get what you pay for. The M5 and E63 and RS6 are way over priced... and the GSF sits there conveniently within the affordability bracket.

But consumers today are merciless, and the fact that the German counterparts depreciate like hell, the GSF all of a sudden seems overpriced.
It is not that shocking, many predicted this would happen when we saw the price and specs. You can't really compare a Lexus car too much to the Germans when it comes to pricing. You are right the Germans are way over priced but people will pay those prices, they have a lot of brand power from being over 100 years old and having multiple generations of high performance sedans over decades where Lexus is less then 30 years old and this is their first performance GS. Even priced in the 80's, much lower then the Germans it was still overpriced for what you get, the GS hybird is overpriced too which is why it doesn't sell, the GS line all together is priced too high compared to what you get with the ES and that is why the GS sales have tanked. Lexus should have priced the GS-F much lower especially since they have no somewhat affordable V8 for the GS anymore, got more out on the street and in the hands of buyers and then they can build up their performance credentials and raise prices over the generations, same thing has happened with the RC-F and will likely happen to the LC and possibly new LS if it is priced in the 90's. Most buyers don't expect or want to pay these kinds of prices for Lexus vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by UDel:
designo (04-24-17), finny76 (04-23-17)
Old 04-23-17, 01:41 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
It is not that shocking, many predicted this would happen when we saw the price and specs. You can't really compare a Lexus car too much to the Germans when it comes to pricing. You are right the Germans are way over priced but people will pay those prices, they have a lot of brand power from being over 100 years old and having multiple generations of high performance sedans over decades where Lexus is less then 30 years old and this is their first performance GS. Even priced in the 80's, much lower then the Germans it was still overpriced for what you get, the GS hybird is overpriced too which is why it doesn't sell, the GS line all together is priced too high compared to what you get with the ES and that is why the GS sales have tanked. Lexus should have priced the GS-F much lower especially since they have no somewhat affordable V8 for the GS anymore, got more out on the street and in the hands of buyers and then they can build up their performance credentials and raise prices over the generations, same thing has happened with the RC-F and will likely happen to the LC and possibly new LS if it is priced in the 90's. Most buyers don't expect or want to pay these kinds of prices for Lexus vehicles.
i bet if the GSF had more hp than E63, ctsv, m5... the dealer couldn't even keep them in stock for 88k. But it doesn't and is inferior. When buyers are capable of spending this kind of money, they want the best for bragging rights. What's another 20k to be the best going German or ctsv

also the GSF uses the same engine and seats as RCF. There is no differentiation. You don't see audi, bmw, mb, Cadillac do that with their different trims of performance vehicles

Last edited by ssmoked; 04-23-17 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 06:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
i bet if the GSF had more hp than E63, ctsv, m5... the dealer couldn't even keep them in stock for 88k. But it doesn't and is inferior. When buyers are capable of spending this kind of money, they want the best for bragging rights. What's another 20k to be the best going German or ctsv

also the GSF uses the same engine and seats as RCF. There is no differentiation. You don't see audi, bmw, mb, Cadillac do that with their different trims of performance vehicles
+1. If the GS F had 550 hp, no one would be saying, nice try, but missed the mark. They'd be saying competent contender. Lexus chose to save money by offering the RC F with a back seat, and screwed the RC F royally by not giving it 550 hp. I can't justify selling my IS F to buy either an RC F or a GS F because the performance envelopes are so close. I didn't buy the IS250 because it had the same performance numbers as the Scion tC I was already driving, and I couldn't care less about the creature comforts if the contender can't outperform what I have sitting in the driveway already paid for.
Old 04-24-17, 01:31 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Well, in my neck of the woods, the GSF makes all the sense in the world!

Lexus GSF: $71k
BMW M5: $161k
Merc E63S: $178k
Audi S6: $128k

See what I'm saying?
Old 04-24-17, 05:02 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
Well, in my neck of the woods, the GSF makes all the sense in the world!

Lexus GSF: $71k
BMW M5: $161k
Merc E63S: $178k
Audi S6: $128k

See what I'm saying?
Yeap, sure do see what you are saying in your case.

I for one like the GSF and for the mid-$60's, I think it is a good car for that price.
Old 04-24-17, 06:53 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Lexus of Smithtown in Long Island has a GSF with $12k off sticker written on the car.
I'm pretty sure they would do $20k off if you are ready to buy.

Sad to see that poor management by Lex/Toyota Japan executives ruined the "F" brand before it even got started.

They should just discontinue the GSF.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-24-17 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-24-17, 07:05 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Lexus of Smithtown in Long Island has a GSF with $12k off sticker written on the car.
I'm pretty sure they would do $20k off if you are ready to buy.

Sad to see that poor management by Lex/Toyota Japan executives ruined the "F" brand before it even got started.

They should just discontinue the GSF.
IMO , I don't think they should discontinue, they should just up the power a 100hp and still be 10k below the competition. I think the price is fine if the power is around 550hp
Old 04-24-17, 07:10 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

550hp is not going to get any sales imo.
New M5 and new E63s are pushing over 600hp with AWD.
CTS-v is at 640hp.

Not sure what morons at Lexus thought this GSF was a good idea.
If anything they should of priced it $65-70k and given it some lease support to get it out to the marketplace and make some noise.
Old 04-24-17, 08:42 PM
bolaga
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Been driving GSF daily.
It's a great car, and far superior in day to day usage than M5 or E63. The price for the tech that included is a bit off, but getting it at 70k OTD is definitely a bargain.
It's more comfortable and more fun to toss around the road. M5 on the other hand really isn't a great car on the normal road, and you definitely don't like to add more mileage on it.

Is GS-F Dead? For those who actually drive this car day to day, HELL NO. The only problem for me is the infotainment system and tech packages that came with it, especially at it's MSRP.
The car price around 75k is definitely more reasonable.
Old 04-25-17, 05:41 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bolaga
Been driving GSF daily.
It's a great car, and far superior in day to day usage than M5 or E63. The price for the tech that included is a bit off, but getting it at 70k OTD is definitely a bargain.
It's more comfortable and more fun to toss around the road. M5 on the other hand really isn't a great car on the normal road, and you definitely don't like to add more mileage on it.

Is GS-F Dead? For those who actually drive this car day to day, HELL NO. The only problem for me is the infotainment system and tech packages that came with it, especially at it's MSRP.
The car price around 75k is definitely more reasonable.
wow 70k OTD?! What was your selling price if you don't mind me asking. I was at roughly 74k OTD before i got the $2700 wheel and tire package coverage for 4 years.

But yes, the GSF is a great all around car, it does everything well. Not just one thing well and the rest average. Like the M5 it a powerful car, but lacks in some other areas. Now we are obviously biased here we own GSF's so of course we will be partial to it. IMHO the GS-F is a great drivers car, Lexus didn't follow the industry and make HP monsters where you can barely put down all that power, they made a car thats fun to drive. Almost all of the youtube reviews state how much fun this car is to drive, more so than some if its competitors. The jury will be out on whether the GS line continues its success, but I do not see why not. Yes the sales numbers are down, but the GS has been a staple in Lexus since I can remember. There's always going to be things people can pick on about it, but at the end of the day, how many near 500HP sports sedans can you daily and not worry about it breaking down on you. The ISF's are still running strong as ever. Point blank Lexus knows what they're doing. That's just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Is the GS-F dead?