Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 09:51 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default Top Gear's Chris Harris Comparo GSF vs BMW M5

http://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-...gs-f-vs-bmw-m5
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
RC51TOFUMA (02-25-17), Stormryu (02-27-17)
Old 02-27-17, 10:26 AM
CalboyF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Props for the great link! Back in the 90's, when BMW won nearly every single comparison test against AMG and Audi and others, I bought the E36 M3 and then the E39 M5. Fantastic machines that were always underpowered and lack the luxury comapred to Audi's and Benz. But they were BALANCED. Yes, that word, balance.

Nowadays, we see BMW fanboys talking about how their M4 and M5 got more horses than others and how their turbo is so quick from 0-infinity and then we look at ISF, RCF, and GSF and we see who is clearly delivering cars that are well balanced. It's just a shame to see how BMW has, dare I say, lost the way.

To this day, I still have a Dakar Yellow E36 BMW M3 sedan with extremely low milage, parked in my garage because I believe that's the pinnacle of BMW when it still made cars with souls. Driving that and driving my new GSF, I can see a good lineage/connection between them. That's how good the GSF is. And to make it even better, I know my GSF will not have the dashboard light up like a Xmas trees like my BMW. I am really too old to deal with low coolant lights, check engine lights, and all others..LOL.
The following users liked this post:
leahb16GSF (05-16-17)
Old 02-27-17, 06:44 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Well said. He seemed to like the GSF chassis and engine more than those of the M5. Chris Harris is one of the most well respected car journalists so it is a big complement from him to prefer GSF over the M5 on the B-roads.

Originally Posted by CalboyF
Props for the great link! Back in the 90's, when BMW won nearly every single comparison test against AMG and Audi and others, I bought the E36 M3 and then the E39 M5. Fantastic machines that were always underpowered and lack the luxury comapred to Audi's and Benz. But they were BALANCED. Yes, that word, balance.

Nowadays, we see BMW fanboys talking about how their M4 and M5 got more horses than others and how their turbo is so quick from 0-infinity and then we look at ISF, RCF, and GSF and we see who is clearly delivering cars that are well balanced. It's just a shame to see how BMW has, dare I say, lost the way.

To this day, I still have a Dakar Yellow E36 BMW M3 sedan with extremely low milage, parked in my garage because I believe that's the pinnacle of BMW when it still made cars with souls. Driving that and driving my new GSF, I can see a good lineage/connection between them. That's how good the GSF is. And to make it even better, I know my GSF will not have the dashboard light up like a Xmas trees like my BMW. I am really too old to deal with low coolant lights, check engine lights, and all others..LOL.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-27-17 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-27-17, 09:44 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If you take into account cost of ownership. the GS-F comes out miles ahead of the M5. Both of these cars are old though. They look dated in the video. A re-design is badly needed for the GS and it better be a good one because the new 5 series is sweet.
Old 03-07-17, 05:10 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks to me like besides the LFA, this is the best performance car Lexus will ever make since the future lies with Turbo. Still contemplating if i should get this or an RCF in 2 years time.
Old 03-07-17, 05:50 PM
CalboyF
Rookie

Originally Posted by EXE46
Looks to me like besides the LFA, this is the best performance car Lexus will ever make since the future lies with Turbo. Still contemplating if i should get this or an RCF in 2 years time.

I happened to own both brand new, first the RCF, then the GSF. From what I know, GSF handles much better and feels much more nimble than the RCF. Response in all aspect is just much, much sharper Hope this helps.
EXE46 (05-10-17)
Old 03-22-17, 10:38 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Having owned an F10 M5 and now the GSF, I can say Harris hit the nail on the head here. The M5 is a numbers car but its just not as fun as the GSF. It really cannot put even 50% of its power to the ground 90% of the time unless its 80 degrees and perfect clean roads. Also those turbos spool so hard that it can be scary to drive at times. I had a few white knuckle moments just at half throttle in 2nd gear on a dry road with a bit of cinders leftover from the winter. Its not a smooth transition to sideways. Its literally pulling hard then pitches sideways. Otherwise the traction control is just on constantly. Its irritating to not be able to put power down and that's where the GSF excels. Its one of those rare RWD cars you can drive hard on a wet road and it tracks perfectly straight and does nothing without warning. Aside from that, the rear seats have quite a bit more room and its more comfortable. I'm still loving mine! Its a beast in the snow as well with winter tires. No issues at all here in the snow belt. I tried the M5 in the winter and gave up. Too much torque and too low. It sat in my garage for 6 months because it was awful in the cold season.
Old 05-08-17, 06:39 PM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RayKnight
Having owned an F10 M5 and now the GSF, I can say Harris hit the nail on the head here. The M5 is a numbers car but its just not as fun as the GSF. It really cannot put even 50% of its power to the ground 90% of the time unless its 80 degrees and perfect clean roads. Also those turbos spool so hard that it can be scary to drive at times. I had a few white knuckle moments just at half throttle in 2nd gear on a dry road with a bit of cinders leftover from the winter. Its not a smooth transition to sideways. Its literally pulling hard then pitches sideways. Otherwise the traction control is just on constantly. Its irritating to not be able to put power down and that's where the GSF excels. Its one of those rare RWD cars you can drive hard on a wet road and it tracks perfectly straight and does nothing without warning. Aside from that, the rear seats have quite a bit more room and its more comfortable. I'm still loving mine! Its a beast in the snow as well with winter tires. No issues at all here in the snow belt. I tried the M5 in the winter and gave up. Too much torque and too low. It sat in my garage for 6 months because it was awful in the cold season.
I frequently lurk here from the GS forums because I love the GS-F's but I noticed for all Lexus vehicles, in order to launch the car at its fastest speed you would need to turn traction control off. I'm not exactly sure about the GS-F, but for the GS350's you get the fastest 0-60 by doing that and I'm sure Lexus specifically does that to prevent unnecessary /scary wheel spin.
Old 05-10-17, 06:03 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree that the interiors are a mess in the newer Lexus models. I literally hate getting a loaner for my ISF because the controls are maddening. I leave one radio station on the whole time just so I don't have to work the radio controls
Old 05-11-17, 10:35 AM
jman911TTS
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Love Chris Harris and his reviews.
Old 05-15-17, 08:22 PM
Fonjozy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was good enough for Chris Harris then it sure good enough for me!
Old 05-16-17, 08:39 AM
leahb16GSF
Driver School Candidate

Great link and comparison. It's nice to have someone so well respected bring light to what a great car the GSF is, especially when compared to a car that has for so many years been one of the top.
Old 05-16-17, 06:18 PM
E90076
Driver School Candidate

I've actually owned both and even if money was not considered in the decision, I would prefer the GSF to the F10 M5.

It really boils down to what you are looking for. If you want to destroy highway roll races, the M5 is nearly unbeatable but it has no traction from a stop and the rear can be unpredictable during cornering. The M5 is no doubt a great all-around car but the GSF feels much more nimble and as much of a cliche as it is to say, the "old-school" feel wins it over for me. That being said...I'd take a E60 M5 over a GSF...
Old 06-09-17, 05:08 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 398 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Lexus GS F vs BMW M5 - Chris Harris Drives - Top Gear

natnut (06-09-17)