GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Will these wheels fit & how bad will my rolling diameter be off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 06:53 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Will these wheels fit & how bad will my rolling diameter be off?

Need some advice from the guru's here. In a bit of a dilemma, have been unable so far to successfully sell my old aftermarket rims off my 3IS which I am now considering using as my winter setup. The plan was to sell these and use the money for a true winter setup. Financially I cant see myself spending another 1.5K on winter setup and have these sit in the garage. It would kill me lol. BUT if it doesn't work it will be my only option.

These rims are Niche Misano's Wrapped in Continental DWS06 Tires only 3K on them which is the worst part. such a waste of money if I let them sit lol.
SPECS:

Front - 19x8.5 235/35/19 +33
Rear - 19x9.5 265/30/19 +35

I had the RR racing Wilwood BBK on the IS and these rims cleared the front calipers with no problem. But I figured before doing a test fit I would get some opinions from you guys.

Obviously a RWD sports car with DWS06 in the snow is going to be pushing my luck.. and I know this. Just trying to weigh my options here.

How bad will my rolling diameter be off? im guessing since the tire isn't as tall in the rear there would be drag, meaning the car would be traveling slower than whats shown on the speedometer?

Thanks,
Old 12-29-16, 08:20 PM
LFinesse
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The +35 offset is a safe outer offset limit.
The rear 19x9.5 +35 wheels would fit fine while the 265/30R19 will be 5% smaller circumference and 5% increased revolution per mile, which is within the 5% rule of thumb.
The front 19x8.5 +33 wheels would have the tire out just below the wheel fender lip, while the 235/35R19 is about 2% smaller circumference and increased rev.

I believe the front wheels/tires would fit however I personally would not run with tires with the fender lip overhanding the tire as it will be subjected to a lot of debris from the winter road and a possible chance of tire rub on a big bounce. The front offset is past what I consider the safe limit, however this could vary slightly with your particular tires; you'll know for sure if it is acceptable when you do the test fit on the front.
Old 12-31-16, 03:35 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LFinesse
The +35 offset is a safe outer offset limit.
The rear 19x9.5 +35 wheels would fit fine while the 265/30R19 will be 5% smaller circumference and 5% increased revolution per mile, which is within the 5% rule of thumb.
The front 19x8.5 +33 wheels would have the tire out just below the wheel fender lip, while the 235/35R19 is about 2% smaller circumference and increased rev.

I believe the front wheels/tires would fit however I personally would not run with tires with the fender lip overhanding the tire as it will be subjected to a lot of debris from the winter road and a possible chance of tire rub on a big bounce. The front offset is past what I consider the safe limit, however this could vary slightly with your particular tires; you'll know for sure if it is acceptable when you do the test fit on the front.

Thanks a lot! this definitely helps out. A test fit will be the final tell if this will work. So basically you're saying the front wheels may be too thin for the car correct?

And also with this rolling diameter, the car would be going faster than shown on the spedometer? Due to the smaller tires
Old 12-31-16, 06:18 PM
LFinesse
Driver School Candidate

The front width is fine, nothing is wrong with 235 front width... It obviously won't handle the same as with wider summer tires but that's not what you'd expect from winters.
The point about the front wheel +33 offset is that the tires will be a little bit further out of the wheel well, although it is only 2mm further out than the +35 offset limit.
With the rounded curve of the tire, I think it should be ok however a test fit is the only way to be sure that it won't hit the fender lip.

You are correct, the tire circumference ("rolling diameter" as you call it) is 5% smaller on the 30R19 rear tires, and as such the speedometer will show a 5% higher than actual speed. For example, the speedometer will show 100 mph however the "real/actual" speed is 95 mph.
Old 01-01-17, 08:34 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Thank You so much! your posts have been very helpful I really appreciate it! I will do a test fit tomorrow and fingers crossed it fits. Or else i will be shelling out the money for a winter set. yikes.
Old 01-03-17, 07:24 PM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to thread jack, wondering if this wheels would fit my GSF
Old 01-04-17, 11:42 AM
LFinesse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDM-V8FL
Sorry to thread jack, wondering if this wheels would fit my GSF
Hi JDM-V8FL,
IMO, the front being the same as stock. Theoretically, the rear rim is about 30mm/1.2 inch closer to the suspension (strut) than the stock rims which would be a close fit. It's probably best to either test fit or take real exact measurements of the rim and tires on the rear.

Last edited by LFinesse; 01-04-17 at 11:58 AM. Reason: correction