GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Why Purchase GS-F or RC-F article and who does GS-F hope to target

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 06:05 AM
MagicWing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
There is a more powerful version in the works. My sources claim they've literally just strapped on 2 turbos onto the RC-F motor to make a twin turbo pushing out 600hp.
That's interesting. Do your sources also tell you when this twin turbo version will hit the market? Could it be for the 2017 model year? I'm also wondering if the 2017 GS F will get the 10-speed transmission that will appear in the LC 500 next year. They'll share the same engine so why not the same transmission too?
Old 01-27-16, 07:51 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by da mayor
I prefer rear wheel drive... It's the debate of being a true drivers car
Not always. The Quattro system in Audis with a Sport Differential can push more torque to the rear wheels and make it handle like it's on rails. Also, horsepower is put down more efficiently to four wheels from a standing start, sometimes making the 0-60 times faster.
Old 01-27-16, 09:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Not always. The Quattro system in Audis with a Sport Differential can push more torque to the rear wheels and make it handle like it's on rails. Also, horsepower is put down more efficiently to four wheels from a standing start, sometimes making the 0-60 times faster.
just like gtr, it's awd and it's ridiculous, but i don't prefer it.

i am not ditching awd at all, i love the quattro on audi. just from a pure sports car point of view, i am inclined towards rwd. probably why i like gt3.

from a daily point of view? awd makes it a lot easier for sure. as much as i don't like the 4matric format on the e63, i think it makes the car more driveable every day
Old 01-28-16, 01:32 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Toyota and Lexus engines arent really known for great low end torque even when turbocharged. They have monster midrange and sometimes high end power. So sending 600 to the rear wheels shouldnt be much of a concern. Adding 4wd would appeal to more people all the time instead, esp during the wintery months.
Old 02-01-16, 10:15 AM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
This is a great read hits the points Ive been debating on it, which has been the hp at the end when I pull up in a GS-f and the M5 is next to me he will be the one who wins.
Not to mention a tune for under $1,000 for a M5 adds another easy 60hp and pair the tune with catless down pipes you can gain 100hp.... I had an X5M with a tune and catless down pipes and it was insane... I could only imagine the lighter M5 with the same mods.
I would like the GSF but it just falls short.
Old 02-02-16, 04:31 AM
JayRo354
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all the debate about price, I believe the dealers can sell at invoice if they wanted too but you factor in their need for a hefty commission and dealer mark ups you and then you get another reason for the price points offered. Small production numbers initially could be to test the market reception of the GSF. Aftermarket support is a trickle right now. What is made for the RCF should work for the GSF; mostly ( fingers crossed) The jacked up price is not helping to get the car out to those would pull the trigger at the right price even with the German competition to consider. I had no trouble getting a test drive, but also consider that low stock plus added miles on a car due to test drives on a car should equal a lower price to someone who would buy said car. Just saying. 600 hp would be nice to have; just to say it is there, but that is track usable power IMO or just to say you have it under the hood. I don't have many streets in my area that would make me grin from the roar of 600 plus put down on asphalt with purpose. I need a track day for that.

Last edited by JayRo354; 02-02-16 at 04:41 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-28-16, 11:45 AM
PMan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MagicWing
That's interesting. Do your sources also tell you when this twin turbo version will hit the market? Could it be for the 2017 model year? I'm also wondering if the 2017 GS F will get the 10-speed transmission that will appear in the LC 500 next year. They'll share the same engine so why not the same transmission too?
I heard similar info from a manager at my local Lexus dealer. He said around 2018 is when we would see it, but I am still very skeptical. Until I hear it from the horse's mouth, its just hot air to me. Toyota is very secretive and very likely to change their mind between now and 2018. Plus I see them doing a hybrid before they make a twin turbo variant of the 2UR. Toyota is the leader in hybrids and look the new NSX and next gen GTR, both are hybrids. F1 is hybrids, LMP-1 cars are all hybrid, and so are all the "hypercars".

Originally Posted by situman
Toyota and Lexus engines arent really known for great low end torque even when turbocharged. They have monster midrange and sometimes high end power. So sending 600 to the rear wheels shouldnt be much of a concern. Adding 4wd would appeal to more people all the time instead, esp during the wintery months.
What makes you say that? Just curious?

The 8AR wasn't developed for all out performance, but the low end is still decent. Its also the first turbo engine Toyota has given us in years. The older motors like the 2JZ didn't have a great low end, but at the time that was generally the case for all turbo engines. Turbo motors with a great bottom end are a relatively new thing. Unless you consider diesels, but sadly we never got any of those from Toyota in the US. I would love a 1VD powered LX.
Old 03-02-16, 07:39 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by PMan
I heard similar info from a manager at my local Lexus dealer. He said around 2018 is when we would see it, but I am still very skeptical. Until I hear it from the horse's mouth, its just hot air to me. Toyota is very secretive and very likely to change their mind between now and 2018. Plus I see them doing a hybrid before they make a twin turbo variant of the 2UR. Toyota is the leader in hybrids and look the new NSX and next gen GTR, both are hybrids. F1 is hybrids, LMP-1 cars are all hybrid, and so are all the "hypercars".

What makes you say that? Just curious?

The 8AR wasn't developed for all out performance, but the low end is still decent. Its also the first turbo engine Toyota has given us in years. The older motors like the 2JZ didn't have a great low end, but at the time that was generally the case for all turbo engines. Turbo motors with a great bottom end are a relatively new thing. Unless you consider diesels, but sadly we never got any of those from Toyota in the US. I would love a 1VD powered LX.
My girlfriend's NX feels sluggish, except in Sport Mode. Or off throttle, on throttle again on the highway, it just doesnt want to go. Maybe I'm spoiled by the responsiveness of the big 2GR V6 engines.
Old 03-03-16, 07:55 AM
PMan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by situman
My girlfriend's NX feels sluggish, except in Sport Mode. Or off throttle, on throttle again on the highway, it just doesnt want to go. Maybe I'm spoiled by the responsiveness of the big 2GR V6 engines.
I see. I had an NX as a loaner for about a week during around Christmas, always drove it in Sport +. It did feel sluggish in other modes, but I think that has to do with the software trying to encourage you to save fuel. That said, I felt the motor is geared towards efficiency more than performance, so I felt it was acceptable.

The GR motors do have pretty good grunt.