GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

2016 GS-F drive. First Impressions.

Old 12-30-15, 06:10 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Toyota has a long history of turbocharging and even supercharging going back to the 80s. The MR2 and Supra immediately come to mind. I use to have '91 Turbo MR2 while growing up and that little thing was a blast to drive and for its time, was pretty amazing in terms of output per liter (100 HP/Liter) and even more so in terms of HP/lb.

You would think with that kind of history, they would have a lot of knowledge about the merits, reliability and overall design of such engines, but I guess there was some point after that epoch where they decided to shelve that technology completely and concentrate on other engine technologies

Why would they move away, though? By all accounts these turbocharged engines were very reliable, especially when compared to Ford's, GM's or SAAB's turbo offerings during that same time. They were on a whole different level in regards to overall reliability, regardless of how finicky and how much stress turbocharging does to engines. Ever see a turbo-ford from the 80s or early 90s last long? Not a chance.

They must have decided to expend their resources on other engine technology, probably hybrids and even hydrogen. Overly forward-thinking?

But, with that history, I don't see why they couldn't come to the market quickly with turbocharged engines. Maybe it's just a matter of ensuring any offering is up to the same level of reliability expected from them.

Between direct injection/carbon, fuel pumps and turbos, I'm sure they would want something that can stand the test of time.

In any case, I saw one in person at the dealership early this month and they are impressive. I think the HP per liter is pretty impressive for a naturally aspirated engine, all things considered, especially the reliability part (assuming it's as reliable as a typical Toyota engine could be). 93.4 HP/liter isn't anything to sneeze about. By comparison, the last NA BMW M3 engine, at 4 liters, kicked out 103.5 HP/liter. As another adder, the Corvette, at 6.2 liters, kicks out 460 HP, which is a paltry 74 HP/liter.

So I guess there's some middle ground there.
Old 12-30-15, 06:45 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
The turbo engines are coming to the F line. Lexus officially discontinued the N/A V8 a month or two ago😩. You gotta get them while they last. It is rumored an RC F GT3 will be released for 2017 with a V8 bi turbo 600hp. Yukihiko Yaguchi, once said the "F" line can't exist without a V8 hopefully he'll keep his word.
I really hope if there's a next IS-F that's not a TT six cylinder. This 5L V8 is something special, in it's original incarnation and more so now.
Old 12-30-15, 04:07 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
I really hope if there's a next IS-F that's not a TT six cylinder. This 5L V8 is something special, in it's original incarnation and more so now.
It truly is bro! It's marvelous!!! Just want more POWA! Lexus already got the sound department on check. This stock engine sound is very intoxicating. I truly hope they actually keep a V8 in the mix, if not its back to the drawing board as always. The Germans are ahead of the turbo game as expected.
Old 01-02-16, 10:59 PM
JayRo354
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove it and loved it. Smooth ride with a sound that gives you the shivers in a good way. Considered the other letters in the alphabet; namely the B, M and C with the V. Test drove a hellcat just to make sure I was not crazy. The one burning issue that bugged me was reliability. Lexus has it in spades, but not so much the other options IMO. The V8 is a hand down that has been tested and this is one of the last chance cars that most will not see in production again with emission standards getting as tight as they are going to get in the future. Dying breed for sure, but available in our time to enjoy. Other options have more power and might claim better times on paper but to me each car owner has a choice when they spend their money on a ride they plan to enjoy. How many people will actually track this car to it's potential? Same goes for all the other letters of the alphabet mentioned earlier.It is a beautiful piece of engineering and that is why I loved it.
Old 01-03-16, 05:05 PM
suprajjang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayRo354
Drove it and loved it. Smooth ride with a sound that gives you the shivers in a good way. Considered the other letters in the alphabet; namely the B, M and C with the V. Test drove a hellcat just to make sure I was not crazy. The one burning issue that bugged me was reliability. Lexus has it in spades, but not so much the other options IMO. The V8 is a hand down that has been tested and this is one of the last chance cars that most will not see in production again with emission standards getting as tight as they are going to get in the future. Dying breed for sure, but available in our time to enjoy. Other options have more power and might claim better times on paper but to me each car owner has a choice when they spend their money on a ride they plan to enjoy. How many people will actually track this car to it's potential? Same goes for all the other letters of the alphabet mentioned earlier.It is a beautiful piece of engineering and that is why I loved it.
Good to hear your feedback. With my lease on my GS coming to an end in couple months, I am starting to compile a list of cars(Mercedes AMG, BMW M, etc) to consider for my next vehicle. I am eagerly waiting for my local dealer to get a GSF in inventory so I can get a first hand look but until that happens, I sit and wait. However, with the car being new, I worry it will be hard to beat the deals that you can get with a competitor but we shall see!
Old 01-04-16, 07:37 AM
ISterguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stereorob
really? there is NOTHING missing from the GS-F! ive driven all of the competitors cars and lexus flat out knocked the ball out of the park with this car! the IS-F was an incredible little car in its day and still is! the regular GS is a fun car to drive as it is and with the V8, the thing screams! the GS-F has that wonderful mechanical ride that everybody loved about the IS-F yet its bigger and has more guts. amazing ride, stellar fit and finish and dead sexy looks. the only thing missing from lexus is the history of the German cars, and that's pretty closed minded. the GS-F is a car that can be a sensible daily driver, classy enough to put on a tux and go to the club, and brutal enough to take to a track and not have to visit the shop after, or every month like BMW or a three pointed star.
I have just one question for you guys that have had a chance to drive a GS-F. When in manual paddle shift mode does it shift between gears quickly, BAM (in milliseconds) instead of the lazy slow shift on my present 2013 GS 350 as was also on my '06 IS 350? Dual-clutch mode fast? I want a car that will shift gears exactly without hesitation when I want.
Old 01-04-16, 04:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ISterguy
I have just one question for you guys that have had a chance to drive a GS-F. When in manual paddle shift mode does it shift between gears quickly, BAM (in milliseconds) instead of the lazy slow shift on my present 2013 GS 350 as was also on my '06 IS 350? Dual-clutch mode fast? I want a car that will shift gears exactly without hesitation when I want.
you can always test drive the rcf to get a feel, it's the same setup. make sure you put it in S+, that will lock the tq converter so you get faster shifting.

my opinion? not dct, but not bad. upshift is pretty fast, down shift has a lag
Old 01-15-16, 11:25 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

My question is. At this price point why would't someone just go with a c63 amg S?

I have seen the amg in person and its fairly large if you are concerned with size. Is the GS-F any bigger?

I don't consider the cadillac. At the end of the day its an american built car, and I don't like the styling.

I am not at all bashing the GS-F. Love the look, probably drives great considering I think the IS-F driving experience is the greatest thing in the world lol.
Old 03-19-16, 01:03 PM
Apollo1092
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pc1990
My question is. At this price point why would't someone just go with a c63 amg S?

I have seen the amg in person and its fairly large if you are concerned with size. Is the GS-F any bigger?

I don't consider the cadillac. At the end of the day its an american built car, and I don't like the styling.

I am not at all bashing the GS-F. Love the look, probably drives great considering I think the IS-F driving experience is the greatest thing in the world lol.
I am very new to this forum but for me the reason I'm considering the GS-F over the C63S AMG is the reliability and cost of ownership. Doing some research the Mercedes is a lot more expensive to maintain (people have had to top off oil once or twice before 10,000 miles ect) and it just gets more and more expensive as the years add up for maintenance. I'm currently in an M4 and am looking for a sedan since I'm getting tired of the coupe game. While the GS-F isn't quite as fast as the M3/4 (and I'm kind of considering the M3) all I have heard about Lexus and the GS-F is great things.
Old 03-19-16, 05:42 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I may offer my opinion, until recently I certainly did not view the GSF as a worthy rival to the c63s Amg but a week or two ago I drove my friends s55 amg ( sold it to him ) I had forgotten how boring it was sure it had the power actually pretty close to the c63s, but there was no thrill and no one knew what it was. Only Amg at an import meet and got no attention. However, I recently had a ride in a RCF and my opinion has changed. For one it scared the life at me when it caught air, and that sound! The GSF definitely has the power you want, and it has a soul. Plus it's different that definitely works in its favor.
Old 03-20-16, 07:27 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JaponesV8
When your whole brand identity is around reliability, I imagine you're not first to market with new tech. Sure, if you have $90k to drop on a car you plan on keeping two years and taking a $30k-50k loss on. By all means, get a Mercedes, Cadillac or BMW. For those two years they will arguably be better drivers cars....faster and more refined

If you plan on keeping your car longer (I pay cash and drive them until they die) I'd much rather have a slightly slower more reliable vehicle that I can modify and make my own.

I love the GSF and if the new Tundra redesign doesn't wow me, I might pick one up used in a few years when they cross the $50-60k mark.

I'd LOVE if they came out with Supra-like power and reliability again no question, but I may be one of the few that puts reliability and value first.

If I had money to burn, I'd take a Porsche everyday and twice on Sunday over anything discussed.
I most agree with Japon^^^

If I really thought I was going to keep my next car beyond 3 to 4 years where I'd really benefit from the price premium in respect to Lexus' quality, I'd consider this GSF a very viable purchase. I just love the way this Lexus V8 sounds, and with an exhaust, it's beyond intoxicating.

But if I'm not keeping the car when it's out of warranty, the Caddy CTS-V and the Mercedes C63s are too hard to ignore. Hec, at $90k, I can't even rule out a base 911 (though it's hard for me to find a good Porsche lease deal). The AMG and V have incredible engines and chassis...and the 911, well, there's nothing like it in regards to balance and agility.

Basically, when I'm ready to purchase my next vehicle and keep it for 5+ years, I will likely choose a Lexus. But at $85k-$90k, I think at this point I have to go with the superior performance over a short period of time. No way am I keeping a Caddy or Mercedes once the warranty runs out, but Lexus, I wouldn't even think twice.

I do want to test drive the GSF, C63s and Caddy all on the same day, so I can get a direct comparative feel of the 3, thus determining if the GSF's sound alone can make up for its horsepower difference. And confidence in each chassis on the street is also a key factor for me, usable performance that you feel comfortable exploring on a country road.

So, like Japon, I do rank power and reliability high, when I'm considering the purchase of a vehicle. Hec, one of my 3 current vehicles is a 2GS with 300,000+ miles. But if I'm just leasing for a few years, the Germans and the Caddy make a compelling case.

Last edited by KevinGS; 03-20-16 at 11:04 PM.