GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tesla Model Y replacing my GS !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 12:32 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Tesla Model Y replacing my GS !!!

Hey gang, my daughter will be getting her license next month - will inherit my GS....so I decided to get myself a new ride....a model Y SR

I had ridden in a few model 3s and model S, and had looked through a friends model Y - I purchased my model Y sight unseen - crazy concept for me

First, I know the quality is not Lexus, its not even Toyota but after you drive this thing for a while, it suddenly becomes clear....this is an amazing car

First, let me start with a few well known positive things.....
acceleration is amazing, even in the SR version
Regenerative braking IMO is great and I now find myself driving using mostly the GO pedal
autopilot is simply amazing, I cant believe how well it works and how relaxing it makes your drive
headlights are basically like daylight

cons
the all premium interior is fine - though way more basic than the GS
the exterior fit is poor, basically nothing on my car really lined up well, gaps are uneven on the body panels
paint is fine and shiny but the finish is not as smooth as my lexus paint, overall acceptable
on some days, I go through most of the range of the car

Here are a few subtle things I really appreciate over the overly protective GS -
Everything is more intuitive - to this day in the GS I can barely do a destination on the nav, nor make a call on the screen
On the MY, you can type in a destination and it immediately will plot the course, super simple
it reads texts, and replies very intuitively, I am sure lexus does this nowadays
updates come over the air, your technology stays up to date
You can use the screen while moving, lexus locks out everything it seems
the driving dynamics are really good - the car just seems to know what you want it to do
the lane keep assist and autopilot steer, and cruise work really really well
the ability to turn the ac on remotely is super neat too
the app lets you do a bunch of things

There are other things too but these are the things I have come to appreciate after a month of ownership

The following 9 users liked this post by EyeKutr:
Andruu (05-05-21), chicagoron (04-28-21), GregCanada (04-27-21), Im2bz2p345 (04-28-21), JeffKeryk (05-02-21), LeX2K (04-28-21), r3dl4b3l (04-28-21), robm (04-29-21), signdetres (04-28-21) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-27-21, 02:52 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

im planning to move on to telsa model 3 long range soon.
Old 04-27-21, 07:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congratulations! Enjoy!
Old 04-27-21, 06:27 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 205 Posts

Congrats. I thought about the model Y before also but for the price I expected a more upscale interior.
Old 04-27-21, 06:53 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

I have a few neighbors that have Tesla vehicles. One neighbor has the Model S P100D. Unfortunately, he's had nothing but problems with it - panel fitment, paint, headlight, vibrations, firmware/software download failures, etc. He installed the best charger in one of his garage bays and something about the charger caused the car to become totally inoperable which he got Tesla to fix somehow, then the charger failed about a week later and it had to be replaced. Now he's hesitant to drive the car very far from home because he's afraid something else will fail and he'll be trapped out-of-town with a car that only Tesla can fix and the closest service center will likely be hundreds of miles away. He's only impressed with the car's straight-line performance...nothing else.

Hope you enjoy your Tesla and it's a good experience for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
ECL (05-04-21), Measured (04-28-21)
Old 04-27-21, 07:11 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Im not jealous nor hating. I have nothing to against Tes La ! But sometimes i wish we ALL can go back to the old days with only gasoline and diesel. Our present lovely President already cutting some jobs on oil field which i am in ( Offshore Rig for NOV After Market ) and move on to those wind mills ?
Promised to myself and the wife that i will keep all my cars as Lexus only, or the next move would be natural aspirated v12 Lambo !
Good luck with that electric car.
The following users liked this post:
jsch222 (04-28-21)
Old 04-27-21, 07:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nguyenazn
Im not jealous nor hating. I have nothing to against Tes La ! But sometimes i wish we ALL can go back to the old days with only gasoline and diesel. Our present lovely President already cutting some jobs on oil field which i am in ( Offshore Rig for NOV After Market ) and move on to those wind mills ?
Promised to myself and the wife that i will keep all my cars as Lexus only, or the next move would be natural aspirated v12 Lambo !
Good luck with that electric car.
I think the days of gasoline and diesel vehicles will be dwindling as the years roll on...

Last edited by bclexus; 04-27-21 at 07:45 PM.
Im2bz2p345 (04-28-21)
Old 04-27-21, 07:57 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Congrats on the new Tesla! Glad to see the GS will still be in the family.
Old 04-27-21, 08:35 PM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Hey gang, my daughter will be getting her license next month - will inherit my GS....so I decided to get myself a new ride....a model Y SR

I had ridden in a few model 3s and model S, and had looked through a friends model Y - I purchased my model Y sight unseen - crazy concept for me

First, I know the quality is not Lexus, its not even Toyota but after you drive this thing for a while, it suddenly becomes clear....this is an amazing car

First, let me start with a few well known positive things.....
acceleration is amazing, even in the SR version
Regenerative braking IMO is great and I now find myself driving using mostly the GO pedal
autopilot is simply amazing, I cant believe how well it works and how relaxing it makes your drive
headlights are basically like daylight

cons
the all premium interior is fine - though way more basic than the GS
the exterior fit is poor, basically nothing on my car really lined up well, gaps are uneven on the body panels
paint is fine and shiny but the finish is not as smooth as my lexus paint, overall acceptable
on some days, I go through most of the range of the car

Here are a few subtle things I really appreciate over the overly protective GS -
Everything is more intuitive - to this day in the GS I can barely do a destination on the nav, nor make a call on the screen
On the MY, you can type in a destination and it immediately will plot the course, super simple
it reads texts, and replies very intuitively, I am sure lexus does this nowadays
updates come over the air, your technology stays up to date
You can use the screen while moving, lexus locks out everything it seems
the driving dynamics are really good - the car just seems to know what you want it to do
the lane keep assist and autopilot steer, and cruise work really really well
the ability to turn the ac on remotely is super neat too
the app lets you do a bunch of things

There are other things too but these are the things I have come to appreciate after a month of ownership
Congratulations !! Got the same car for my wife last February.

Joshua Tree National
park road trip about 2 weeks ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bartman619:
r3dl4b3l (04-28-21), signdetres (04-28-21)
Old 04-27-21, 11:38 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Bclexus, I hope the issues your neighbor had with the model S are not common. I have heard of folks having issues with teslas. Most of the people I have talked to have had surprisingly decent experiences. I have been using the 110V charger and for my short commute it does OK. I also bought one more of the chargers off ebay along with the 240v connector and have it in my wife's garage where I have a 240v outlet. When I am really low on charge, I park there and plug into that instead of the 110.
Old 04-28-21, 12:30 AM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

I’m seriously thinking about replacing my GS with the Ioniq 5. Going to wait a year till the initial owners iron out all the bugs. Don’t want to be a beta tester.
Old 04-28-21, 06:09 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Congrats on the Tesla. I'm not too fond of them since most Tesla driver's in Dallas are somewhat @$$h0l3. But I do like the innovation that comes out from them. It inspires a lot of the old school manufacture to innovate at an accelerated rate. I really consider Tesla at one point but couldn't pull the trigger. I drive a lot for work and my hobby. I may wait to see what Toyota/Lexus EV offers this year.
Im2bz2p345 (04-28-21)
Old 04-28-21, 10:06 AM
r3dl4b3l
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the Tesla Fam! I sold my GS350 for Model Y Performance last year and have not looked back.
Im2bz2p345 (04-28-21)
Old 04-28-21, 11:03 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Bclexus, I hope the issues your neighbor had with the model S are not common. I have heard of folks having issues with teslas. Most of the people I have talked to have had surprisingly decent experiences. I have been using the 110V charger and for my short commute it does OK. I also bought one more of the chargers off ebay along with the 240v connector and have it in my wife's garage where I have a 240v outlet. When I am really low on charge, I park there and plug into that instead of the 110.
He says he wishes he had never bought the car - said he got caught up in the EV hype and the car's performance. He says the interior looks like it's made by the same company that makes LEGOS. I think he'll get rid of it soon which will probably cost him twenty grand or more, but for someone that makes hundred grand a week that's no big deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
ECL (05-04-21), Measured (04-29-21)
Old 04-28-21, 12:11 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Congrats! I looked into this vehicle too but then couldn't accept the view from the back yet. I guess it will grow on us just like the GX. A family member recently got this too and is quite happy. A buddy got a model S to replace his previous one. It must be something. I also see a lot more tesla. I used to see maybe one or two a week last year. Now I see a few a day. People are really getting onto this brand which is well reflected on its recent blowout Q1 earning.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y replacing my GS !!!