GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Infotainment Broken after battery replacement

Old 11-03-19, 07:27 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
The entire multimedia system, navigation, navigation hard drive is all in the radio/climate control unit.

If the dealer says you need to replace it and they will not cover the cost, buying a used one on eBay is a much cheaper alternative. I suggested to buy it, swap it out and see if everything works again.
Did you ever have luck with your SSD venture? If so I may look into that. I figure the dealer couldn't do something as simple as simply reformatting the drive with the software from factory....that'd be TOO easy >_>.

Originally Posted by bclexus
No one has speculated what triggered the Infotainment system to fail 'supposedly' from replacing the car's battery. Was it just time for the system to konk-out (that's a highly technical term)? I rather doubt it. Was the car's ignition turned On when the battery was disconnected, or turned On when the battery first energized the system? Were the battery terminals somehow mistakenly put on the wrong terminals, even if for a brief nanosecond? Was anyone inside the car peddling around when the battery was replaced and the system energized? It's highly doubtful we will ever know exactly what caused the failure, but it sure would be interesting to know...
I wish I knew.....and I feel bad now. If I knew this crap would happen, I would've gone personally and swap the battery myself......I was busy at home, and gave her my 'gift card' and told her to use it there and they'd install it free.......so much for the free install. Never letting them touch another one of my or my family's cars again......
Old 11-03-19, 07:57 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Did you ever have luck with your SSD venture? If so I may look into that. I figure the dealer couldn't do something as simple as simply reformatting the drive with the software from factory....that'd be TOO easy >_>.

I wish I knew.....and I feel bad now. If I knew this crap would happen, I would've gone personally and swap the battery myself......I was busy at home, and gave her my 'gift card' and told her to use it there and they'd install it free.......so much for the free install. Never letting them touch another one of my or my family's cars again......
I retrofitted a 2015 GS multimedia system into my 2013 GS. Its an SD card based nav system, no more platter Hard drive.

The SSD drive never worked even a mirror copy of the original drive didn't work. The drive is locked somehow only way to copy it was with the car on. There was also another member who gave it a shot, but we were not successful. We powered/unlocked the drive with the car on and connected the data cable to a PC. Then ran software to copy it or clone it. The car never loaded or accepted the copied drive.

Last edited by peasodos; 11-03-19 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-03-19, 08:33 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

I retrofitted a 2015 GS multimedia system into my 2013 GS. Its an SD card based nav system, no more platter Hard drive.

The SSD drive never worked even a mirror copy of the original drive didn't work. The drive is locked somehow only way to copy it was with the car on. There was also another member who gave it a shot, but we were not successful. We powered/unlocked the drive with the car on and connected the data cable to a PC. Then ran software to copy it or clone it. The car never loaded or accepted the copied drive.
On the 2015 where the heck is the SD card slot then? Curious...

-Mike
Old 11-03-19, 09:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drgrant
On the 2015 where the heck is the SD card slot then? Curious...

-Mike
You lift up this center portion boxed in red. That's were you insert the sd card to update the maps, but there is also an sd card inside the head unit everything copies too, however the map sd card must still remain inserted into the front slot(i think)

Updating the maps is easy you buy the new sd card from the dealer, remove the old one, insert the new one, turn on the car, and it loads the new maps.

The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (01-19-20)
Old 11-04-19, 03:15 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

You lift up this center portion boxed in red. That's were you insert the sd card to update the maps, but there is also an sd card inside the head unit everything copies too, however the map sd card must still remain inserted into the front slot(i think)

Updating the maps is easy you buy the new sd card from the dealer, remove the old one, insert the new one, turn on the car, and it loads the new maps.

Is the 2015 one a drop in as well? Plug and play? I don't think she has the ML system, not sure. She's got everything minus the parking sensors (don't think the radio unit has anything to do with that though)
Old 11-04-19, 07:04 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Is the 2015 one a drop in as well? Plug and play? I don't think she has the ML system, not sure. She's got everything minus the parking sensors (don't think the radio unit has anything to do with that though)
The ML and non-ML models are interchangeable: only difference is the amp.
You do need to match the model year. 2013-2014 have different plugs than 2015.

Here's my radio thread w more info.
Old 11-04-19, 07:49 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

See, I was gonna think about using the 15+ model to avoid a faulty hdd issue again. I'm guessing they never made an adapter for those two connections to make a 15 work in a 13/14. So I'll have to look for a 14 unit. Shame about the ssd issue though.
Old 11-04-19, 08:04 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

See, I was gonna think about using the 15+ model to avoid a faulty hdd issue again. I'm guessing they never made an adapter for those two connections to make a 15 work in a 13/14. So I'll have to look for a 14 unit. Shame about the ssd issue though.
I had to harvest wires from another lexus harness, mainly the wire that outputs the video from the head unit that connects to the input on the back of the 12.3" display.
I used aftermarket adapters to connect the antenna plugs. Also I haven't gotten the backup camera to work after the mod because the trigger for the backup camera is very different.

to retrofit 2016+ requires the 2016+ 12.3" display screen, 2016+ navigation controls on the center console, and 2016+ head unit, all very expensive. Not to mention similar adapters and wires I used for the 2015 unit.

There are 12+ year Lexus on the road with hard drive based nav systems and no failures. Your whole situation is weird, they defiantly did something wrong swapping out the battery.

Last edited by peasodos; 11-04-19 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-04-19, 08:26 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

I had to harvest wires from another lexus harness, mainly the wire that outputs the video from the head unit that connects to the input on the back of the 12.3" display.
I used aftermarket adapters to connect the antenna plugs. Also I haven't gotten the backup camera to work after the mod because the trigger for the backup camera is very different.

to retrofit 2016+ requires the 2016+ 12.3" display screen, 2016+ navigation controls on the center console, and 2016+ head unit, all very expensive. Not to mention similar adapters and wires I used for the 2015 unit.

There are 12+ year Lexus on the road with hard drive based nav systems and no failures. Your whole situation is weird, they defiantly did something wrong swapping out the battery.
13 or 14 unit it is then. And I think they screwed up something too, but won't own up to it, and sadly no way to prove it. They're not getting my business anymore.

Sending a PM though!
Old 11-04-19, 09:15 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

OK, so I'm replacing my battery tomorrow. So do I have to maintain power during the battery swap or not? I guess it couldn't hurt to wire a battery charger in to supply power.
Old 11-04-19, 09:24 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by praetor
OK, so I'm replacing my battery tomorrow. So do I have to maintain power during the battery swap or not? I guess it couldn't hurt to wire a battery charger in to supply power.
No and that's not a safe thing to do.

Disconnect the negative first, then positive. Remove the battery. Install the new one, reconnect positive, then negative.
Maybe as a precaution once you remove the battery, just let the car sit for 5 minutes.

I changed my battery recently and no issues if done correctly.
The following 3 users liked this post by peasodos:
imjohnphan (11-06-19), NickMayer (11-06-19), praetor (11-04-19)
Old 11-04-19, 09:28 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

No and that's not a safe thing to do.

Disconnect the negative first, then positive. Remove the battery. Install the new one, reconnect positive, then negative.
Maybe as a precaution once you remove the battery, just let the car sit for 5 minutes.

I changed my battery recently and no issues if done correctly.
That's how I've always done it in my other cars. Thanks
Old 11-04-19, 09:31 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
It's not a matter of whether you 'have to' maintain power on the system, it's that if you do maintain power you avoid the likelihood that you'll have something fail (e.g. NAV screen readout fail, navigation system fails to operate, automatic emergency brake locks, A/C system fails to operate correctly, engine won't start, CEL throwing codes, engine performs very poorly because MAF needs cleaning, engine ECU locks, etc., etc.). As you know replacing the battery without maintaining power on the car's system does not always cause a failure of something, but it happens far too often and can be very expensive if it does...

Just clamp your battery charger to the car's cable terminals, which will maintain voltage to the car's electrical system. (Just make sure the charger's positive cable goes to the car's positive battery terminal and negative goes to negative.) The battery charger will be temporarily wired (hooked up) in parallel, which is what you want - just like when charging your battery.

If you don't have a battery charger you can accomplish the same thing using jumper cables to use your current [old] battery as the electrical source to maintain power on the car's system as you disconnect the old battery and replace it with the new battery.
The following users liked this post:
praetor (11-04-19)
Old 11-04-19, 03:23 PM
yelloiroc
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on the results of the Lexus service it might be worth just removing the screen, removing plugs, waiting, and plugging back in. I have a GROM Vline 2 in my GS and on more than one occasion I've been black screened the same you describe Lexus logo comes up on boot, side screen shows info (but I can't select anything) and then shifts to black. Reseating the connections of the back of the screen helped me. It's just a few bolts and clips to remove the screen.
Old 11-06-19, 10:06 AM
MCB1970
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a similar thing happen to my RCF when my mechanic replaced my battery. The screen started right up after he ran a diagnostic with his scan tool.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infotainment Broken after battery replacement