GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Keeping my GS after test driving the ES!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 11:04 PM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Keeping my GS after test driving the ES!!

So I made a thread post discussing my options for another Lexus. I went to a couple area Lexus dealers here in Los Angeles to check out some cars. Side note: I knew more about the vehicle options than the sales rep not sure how these guys were hired. Maybe because I follow Lexus news but still enthusiast or not they should know their products,

ES F-sport - I honestly thought this would win me over but it truly is an appearance package, even when I floor the gas in "Sport" mode the engine is not loud but its smooth and quiet. The ES is for comfort only, the vehicle options and interior is amazing but coming from a GS I can't do it. Even on the base GS the engine noise is piped through the cabin which makes an awesome sound when accelerating not on the ERS thou. It also doesn't have "Sport +" well at least the models I looked at only had "sport" mode. Glad I drove the ES to rule out that option. Maybe the 40 and over version would buy the ES but not now at 31yrs.

At this point a GS F or new GS model would be my only sedan option. I may look into Audi, BMW, Porsche for crossover as they appear to be nice

Porsche Macan
BMW X4,X5,X6 - M sport
Audi S5, A7

I just need Lexus to speed up development of products, I wish they ordered as many cars as BMW and Mercedes
The following 2 users liked this post by Twizgs:
Boomin (06-27-19), thisguy_06 (06-27-19)
Old 06-27-19, 06:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Good feedback, and not that surprising, at least to me.

AVS is an option on the F Sport version of the ES. I was surprised that they didn't make it standard.

I went from a 2015 GS to a 2019 GS. When I was picking up my 2019, I did spend some time evaluating the new ES. The ES wins on price and interior room, but like you, I just couldn't give up the GS.
Old 06-27-19, 07:58 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Well yeah, they are totally different classes of vehicles. Some people will prefer the sportier sound and feel of the GS while other prefer the quietness of the ES.
The following users liked this post:
drgrant (06-27-19)
Old 06-27-19, 08:39 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Just get a 2019 GS F Sport and be happy with life. Like me!

I know damn well this car will start every time and won't die on my in the middle of a highway... better not!
Old 06-27-19, 08:50 AM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO

I know damn well this car will start every time and won't die on my in the middle of a highway... better not!
My jaw dropped when you came back to the GS. I was gonna follow suit and get the RC like you but now I have to really ponder.

Car is 6+ years old now.
Old 06-27-19, 08:59 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
My jaw dropped when you came back to the GS. I was gonna follow suit and get the RC like you but now I have to really ponder.

Car is 6+ years old now.
If u want RC, get the RC F don't bother with the regular ones. That's what I would do IF I go back to a coupe and yes the GS is that good that's why I came back to it and the 2019 doesn't feel like a 6+ yr old though. Maybe it's because I was driving the RC for 2 years.

The styling of the 4.5 GS took a while to get used to and I think this car will age very well. It looks ugly at first but as time goes on it gets better and better, especially if u compare it to other new cars on the road.
Old 06-27-19, 10:10 AM
praetor
Racer

I'll wait and see. I don't want to spend this much on a car that maybe disco'd.
Old 06-27-19, 11:49 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

You're still young at 31 like me I would recommend the LC if you want something sporty at the younger age. I drove the LC for a bit and liked it but I definitely felt like it lacked a lot of power. The brand new 471HP compared to my used 550HP Gallardo had such a massive difference. You should also check out Mercedes offerings as well. With the sport mode turned on in my S550 felt pretty agile for such a large car. The S550 has been rock solid in terms of reliability. I love Lexus' new styling direction but can't help but feel like they're skimping on power just to keep the LFA HP rating in a class of its own. I think if they had put the LFA engine in the LC they would have had a winner for sure.
Old 06-27-19, 12:11 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 413 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
compared to my used 550HP Gallardo had such a massive difference. I love Lexus' new styling direction but can't help but feel like they're skimping on power just to keep the LFA HP rating in a class of its own.
I don't think those 2 vehicles can be accurately compared.. the Gallardo has a bigger engine and weighs like 1000 pounds less.

A better comparison with your gallardo will be when the LC-F is released, which will be a 4L TT V8 with over 600hp. It will probably still be a heavy boat though.
Old 06-27-19, 01:08 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
I don't think those 2 vehicles can be accurately compared.. the Gallardo has a bigger engine and weighs like 1000 pounds less.

A better comparison with your gallardo will be when the LC-F is released, which will be a 4L TT V8 with over 600hp. It will probably still be a heavy boat though.
Oh yeah I know they're in different categories but I have very limited comparisons I have personal experience with. The LC is miles miles ahead in comfort and daily drive-ability my only gripe was that it felt very slow for what would be considered Lexus' top of the line performance. Did not know there was going to be a higher powered LC-F model coming out but with over 600hp that may definitely catch my attention as a fun daily. I hope the pricing for that car will be substantially less than the AMG-GT because I have been eyeing that for a while now.
Old 06-27-19, 01:10 PM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO

Haha good point because after a few years stuff like that start to happen with the Germans. I will take a deeper look in the 19 GS and see if that will be a good option. Going from a 13 to 19 doesn’t sound too bad.
Old 06-27-19, 01:45 PM
crepr12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Piped in engine noise as in fake...can it be disabled?
Old 06-27-19, 01:49 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

You're still young at 31 like me I would recommend the LC if you want something sporty at the younger age. I drove the LC for a bit and liked it but I definitely felt like it lacked a lot of power. The brand new 471HP compared to my used 550HP Gallardo had such a massive difference. You should also check out Mercedes offerings as well. With the sport mode turned on in my S550 felt pretty agile for such a large car. The S550 has been rock solid in terms of reliability. I love Lexus' new styling direction but can't help but feel like they're skimping on power just to keep the LFA HP rating in a class of its own. I think if they had put the LFA engine in the LC they would have had a winner for sure.
Show us a pic. of that Gallardo! Lambo's are so sharp.
Old 06-27-19, 02:16 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,655 Posts

The problem with the GS is it's incredibly old. It's a fine car in and of itself but does not compare with newer cars. Just looking at the GS takes me back into a time machine.

If I was spending coin on a new Lexus, I'd want to future proof myself and jump into the newer, safer car.
Old 06-27-19, 02:26 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 413 Likes on 288 Posts

Oh yeah I know they're in different categories but I have very limited comparisons I have personal experience with. The LC is miles miles ahead in comfort and daily drive-ability my only gripe was that it felt very slow for what would be considered Lexus' top of the line performance. Did not know there was going to be a higher powered LC-F model coming out but with over 600hp that may definitely catch my attention as a fun daily. I hope the pricing for that car will be substantially less than the AMG-GT because I have been eyeing that for a while now.
I think the articles mentioned a price point north of 200k

Quick Reply: Keeping my GS after test driving the ES!!