GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Does anyone make Aftermarket Tail Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 03:24 PM
SSLandon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Does anyone make Aftermarket Tail Lights?

Just got my GS 350 F Sport couple weeks back and noticed when looking for aftermarket taillights there is none I can find for the 4th gen GS? Am I looking in the right area? Thanks

Old 06-25-19, 06:21 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Don't believe any options exist. Most of us who mod the tails put the red vinyl over the amber signal and/or tint them to get a different look

One or two members have retrofitted the 16+ tails but the process is quite involved I believe, also expensive
Old 06-25-19, 06:40 PM
SSLandon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by np20412
Don't believe any options exist. Most of us who mod the tails put the red vinyl over the amber signal and/or tint them to get a different look

One or two members have retrofitted the 16+ tails but the process is quite involved I believe, also expensive
I saw the retro fits looks great but not worth the price in my opinion. I’m curious on why there isn’t any aftermarket for the 4th gen GS 6 years later.
Old 06-25-19, 08:40 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Probably because there isn't enough GS' out there on the road. They know that only a small percentage of owners will actually do a tail light upgrade. They ran the #s and it wasn't feasible, business wise.
Old 06-26-19, 06:02 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

I've searched in the past and never seen a single aftermarket replacement. Pre-cut tinting options are available/other options are available on eBay and here: https://www.rvinyl.com/Lexus-Smoked-...ght-Wraps.html

Red-out vinyl I used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PreCut-Red-...l/323540656990

Also, you could change out the reverse and turn signals to LEDs if you wanted improved rear illumination ('13-'15 GS's still have standard halogens for reverse/turn signals). Recommend VLEDS or iJDMToy bulbs.
Old 06-26-19, 01:46 PM
SSLandon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I've searched in the past and never seen a single aftermarket replacement. Pre-cut tinting options are available/other options are available on eBay and here: https://www.rvinyl.com/Lexus-Smoked-...ght-Wraps.html

Red-out vinyl I used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PreCut-Red-...l/323540656990

Also, you could change out the reverse and turn signals to LEDs if you wanted improved rear illumination ('13-'15 GS's still have standard halogens for reverse/turn signals). Recommend VLEDS or iJDMToy bulbs.

I Already changed the front turn signal to LED and actually waiting for the rears to come in. Going to see how it turns out for the rear and then possibly order the Red Tint. My only concern is the rear led i ordered is amber and if i put the red tint over it i wonder how bright it would look and if it is going to change the brightness.
Old 06-26-19, 04:29 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by SSLandon
I Already changed the front turn signal to LED and actually waiting for the rears to come in. Going to see how it turns out for the rear and then possibly order the Red Tint. My only concern is the rear led i ordered is amber and if i put the red tint over it i wonder how bright it would look and if it is going to change the brightness.
It will...

I ended up first getting the red vinyl for the tail lights and then added LEDs. The LEDs I bought from VLEDs are twice as bright as the stock halogens but you definitely loose some light output with the red tint. The stock turn bulbs with the red tint overlay made the signals look like the battery was dying.

For anyone going the red-out / tint method, i'd say get LED turn signal and reverse lights to balance out the tint.

BTW: Which LEDS did you use for the front turn signals?
Old 06-26-19, 04:59 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The front turn signal LED swap is super bright, but because of the bulb angle, the rear turn signals with LED bulbs is very dim (mind you, it's the same bulb for both front & rear). YMMV based on which bulb you purchase of course.
Old 06-26-19, 08:56 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

You can't tint the lights with a film, been there done that and it won't work. You will never get a tint to lay properly over the vortexes on the rear lights. You can either use a thin layer of plasti dip or regular paint. I used plasti dip because even if you use regular paint it will have to be redone over time. Its a lot easier to remove and readd plasti dip then it is to pull out your tail lights every few years to have them resprayed. I'm on my 2nd year and my lights still look good but I'll probably dip them again next year. Don't worry about an automated car wash messing up the lights because I pay a monthly fee for unlimited car washes and wash my car at least once a week.
Old 06-26-19, 10:28 PM
SSLandon
Driver School Candidate

It will...

I ended up first getting the red vinyl for the tail lights and then added LEDs. The LEDs I bought from VLEDs are twice as bright as the stock halogens but you definitely loose some light output with the red tint. The stock turn bulbs with the red tint overlay made the signals look like the battery was dying.

For anyone going the red-out / tint method, i'd say get LED turn signal and reverse lights to balance out the tint.

BTW: Which LEDS did you use for the front turn signals?

I got them from amazon. They work great so far. They are probably the brightest LED turn signals I’ve ever had from aftermarket. No Hyperflash also. Not sure if doing the rears will cause hyper flash but will find out soon

OXILAM 7440 LED Bulbs Amber Yellow 2800LM for Turn Signal Lights with Build-in Load Resistor CANBUS Error Free T20 7440NA 7441 7444 W21W WY21W Blinker Bulb Replacement (2PCS)
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-27-19, 04:28 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YaMomma
You can't tint the lights with a film, been there done that and it won't work. You will never get a tint to lay properly over the vortexes on the rear lights. You can either use a thin layer of plasti dip or regular paint. I used plasti dip because even if you use regular paint it will have to be redone over time. Its a lot easier to remove and readd plasti dip then it is to pull out your tail lights every few years to have them resprayed. I'm on my 2nd year and my lights still look good but I'll probably dip them again next year. Don't worry about an automated car wash messing up the lights because I pay a monthly fee for unlimited car washes and wash my car at least once a week.
My tails are tinted with film. You can just cut out those vortex protruding pieces and lay film around them. You can't even tell that there is no film on those protrusions.

Why would it have to be re-done if painted? I had mine painted on my Infiniti - they just mixed a slight touch of black into a 2k clear and sprayed it on. It should last as long as any other clear coat as long as it is maintained.

Last edited by np20412; 06-27-19 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-27-19, 07:34 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Originally Posted by np20412
My tails are tinted with film. You can just cut out those vortex protruding pieces and lay film around them. You can't even tell that there is no film on those protrusions.

Why would it have to be re-done if painted? I had mine painted on my Infiniti - they just mixed a slight touch of black into a 2k clear and sprayed it on. It should last as long as any other clear coat as long as it is maintained.
Interesting I would love to see an up close pic, I don't see how you wouldn't notice two holes in the tint. I took my car to three different shops and no one would tint the tail lights because of the vortexes. Two offered to paint them but warned me it may have to be redone in a few years.
Old 06-27-19, 07:45 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting I would love to see an up close pic, I don't see how you wouldn't notice two holes in the tint. I took my car to three different shops and no one would tint the tail lights because of the vortexes. Two offered to paint them but warned me it may have to be redone in a few years.

Old 06-27-19, 08:17 PM
oldwineguy
Lead Lap

Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

Like NP20412, the shop that did my taillights also cut out the vortexes and you cannot tell they are not tinted or they are cut out
Old 06-28-19, 11:26 PM
YaMomma
Driver

I agree in the pic posted you don't notice the difference but it also looks like a light tent, I guess I tented my lights darker than most. Mine are for the most part blacked out, you can't see any red at all.

Quick Reply: Does anyone make Aftermarket Tail Lights?