GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dull dash trim.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 08:58 PM
esonu
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Dull dash trim.

The wood trim is dull in my Gs is this normal. Is there anyway to make it glossy? My 07 Gs has extremely glossy wood.
Old 06-22-19, 09:15 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yes I believe the wood trim has a matte finish to reduce glare from the sun. The older FSport model has this problem where the Striated aluminum trim is so reflective that it causes problem when looking at the side mirror. Then they changed the newer FSport Naguri trim to a more matte (dull) finish now.
Old 06-23-19, 12:04 PM
esonu
Pit Crew

Ahh that’s a disappointment. Might wrap it then.
Old 06-23-19, 01:51 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by esonu
Ahh that’s a disappointment. Might wrap it then.
The matte wood trim looks nice and more expensive /luxury than the glossy finish. Why would you cover real wood with a fake wrap?
Old 06-23-19, 04:43 PM
esonu
Pit Crew

The wood in my car does not look luxury compared to any other Lexus we’ve had, the ones I’ve sat in nor bmw or Audi we have. So for said reason I’ll be wrapping it in carbon fiber.
Old 06-23-19, 06:54 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

If u really want to make it glossy maybe u can try using Meguiar's Scratch X on it. I remember using that on the silver plastic trim parts which is also kind of matte and it turned it extremely glossy. Just remember there is no going back.
Old 06-23-19, 09:03 PM
esonu
Pit Crew

I’ll give it a try. and I wouldn’t want to go back if it shines it up lol. Otherwise cf wrap it is lol.
Old 08-13-19, 02:24 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

It was the latch assembly on glove box that was my issue. Piece of match cover resolved the issue.
Old 09-20-20, 07:25 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Had same annoying issue. It was determined to be the latch mechanism on glove compartment door. I think I inserted a piece of tape inside the latch opening making the catch a little tighter.
Old 09-20-20, 10:50 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 285 Likes on 175 Posts

Reminds me of the 80’s glossy fake woods?
My BMW’s had glossy wood.
The Matte finishes are a personal taste. To wrap it in fake carbon is kind of a shame.
I doubt one can gloss it by polish. Would have to cut it with multi step. Perhaps with sand paper, wet sanding, then more than one polish.
Might want to find a used set of trim and replace?
I do love wood even in sport models. But this Naguri has really grown on me. Very subtle finish.
Old 09-20-20, 11:32 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 493 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by esonu
The wood in my car does not look luxury compared to any other Lexus we’ve had, the ones I’ve sat in nor bmw or Audi we have. So for said reason I’ll be wrapping it in carbon fiber.
Originally Posted by peasodos
The matte wood trim looks nice and more expensive /luxury than the glossy finish. Why would you cover real wood with a fake wrap?
So this is definitely one of those places where folks have differing opinions of what "looks" expensive/luxury. I'm definitely share Peasodos' opinion that that matte looks more luxurious - to me the super glossy looks fake and plastic like.

Even with the matte I get some reflection in the side mirror at times that's really annoying - I can't imagine how bad that would be with gloss.

Originally Posted by Nalod
Reminds me of the 80’s glossy fake woods?
My BMW’s had glossy wood.
The Matte finishes are a personal taste.
I do love wood even in sport models. But this Naguri has really grown on me. Very subtle finish.
I wasn't convinced about the Naguri either until I read about how it was a take on traditional Japanese wood carving. After having it and knowing that it wasn't just this random pattern I've really grown to appreciate it as well. I like it a lot more than the striated aluminum now.

I wonder if the gloss wood has anything to do with what you grew up with and what the parents had or what came out and was "new" at the time.

Last edited by LexusGSboy; 09-20-20 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-20-20, 12:53 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 285 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
So this is definitely one of those places where folks have differing opinions of what "looks" expensive/luxury. I'm definitely share Peasodos' opinion that that matte looks more luxurious - to me the super glossy looks fake and plastic like.

Even with the matte I get some reflection in the side mirror at times that's really annoying - I can't imagine how bad that would be with gloss.

I wasn't convinced about the Naguri either until I read about how it was a take on traditional Japanese wood carving. After having it and knowing that it wasn't just this random pattern I've really grown to appreciate it as well. I like it a lot more than the striated aluminum now.

I wonder if the gloss wood has anything to do with what you grew up with and what the parents had or what came out and was "new" at the time.
My old 80’s mercedes had the more glossy finishes. Real wood, real glossy. our 2004 Sienna Minivan had some glossy plastic wood look. This I was the “Upscale” limited with it on the steering wheel.
We see more matte finishes these day s on high end cars. Personal taste no doubt. Never been a fan of the plain alum trims on m BMW’s and they were soft,, thus prone to scratching.
I drank the kool aid on the Naguri trim after reading about it. I bought this car mostly to replace my 2013 535i as a reliable replacement. I read the reviews and understood that it was “tired design” compared to others. That I paid just under 50k, or 10g under MSRP I felt compared to other offerings at that price this was a logical thing to do. The serene interior and design does have an nice effect!
To me, this car is not a head turner or distinctive as it might have been a few years ago. It checked all the boxes and I was happy. What I find about this car is how it FEELS when driving it. Its not as “Sporty” as my MSPORT 6spd man 5 was but to replicate that would be over $75,000 new.
I’m happy.
Back on if mr Matte Wood need to wrap his interior he should. I’m sure he’ll either find it gratifying or the experience miserable and write about it i the “Regrettable Mod” thread.