GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2016 Front License Plate Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 01:06 PM
bumada
Driver

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts
Default 2016 Front License Plate Relocation

I just bought a 2016 GS 350 within the past week. I live in Virginia which requires a front license plate. I love the front end of this car and do not want to drill into the bumper for the oem mount.

I have found kits that screw into the tow hook location. My problem is that my car has the radar based cruise control and it seems that the sensor blocks the entry point of the tow hook. Has anyone found another solution?
Old 06-20-19, 01:49 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

The best location is the lower part of the front mesh grill. Buy the oem mount and zip tie it to the grill. Then screw the license plate onto that.

I did this to my 2013 GS, perfectly center and no holes drilled into the bumper, and looks great. I bought the car from Georgia(no front plate) and I also live in Virginia.

The tow hook location is off center, plate sticks out too much off the body line of the car, and anyone can just turn the whole thing counterclockwise and take your license plate and mount.
Old 06-20-19, 01:53 PM
bumada
Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
The best location is the lower part of the front mesh grill. Buy the oem mount and zip tie it to the grill. Then screw the license plate onto that.

I did this to my 2013 GS, perfectly center and no holes drilled into the bumper, and looks great. I bought the car from Georgia(no front plate) and I also live in Virginia.

The tow hook location is off center, plate sticks out too much off the body line of the car, and anyone can just turn the whole thing counterclockwise and take your license plate and mount.
Not a bad suggestion. The oem mount came with the car. I don't mind the look of the tow hook mounted one, I just don't see how to mount it with the radar based cruise control.
Old 06-20-19, 04:10 PM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a Cravenspeed Playtpus on my 2016 GS F Sport. It can be bent to have a more flush fit to the bumper and it does not interfere with my radar cruise control or parking sensors. A bit on the pricy side but I think it's worth it IMO if you wanna keep things clean.
Old 06-20-19, 04:17 PM
bumada
Driver

​​​​​
Originally Posted by TAURUSSLVR
I have a Cravenspeed Playtpus on my 2016 GS F Sport. It can be bent to have a more flush fit to the bumper and it does not interfere with my radar cruise control or parking sensors. A bit on the pricy side but I think it's worth it IMO if you wanna keep things clean.
Can you show me a picture of where it goes? I legitimately don't see where the tow hook is on my car.
Old 06-20-19, 04:22 PM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bumada

​​​​​

Can you show me a picture of where it goes? I legitimately don't see where the tow hook is on my car.
You can pretty much google for the exact location of the tow hook cover. It's a part of the grill area. Here's the link from cravenspeed for a general idea. Gotta take the cover off first.
https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-plat...us/?fullSite=1
Old 06-20-19, 04:24 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Be careful when using the tow hook plate holder. I bought one of those and it came loose and the plate swung sideways and it hit my bumper and left a nasty scratch on the paint. YIKES!!! I threw that thing away and roll without one.
Old 06-20-19, 04:26 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Maybe you could gamble and not run a front plate. My state requires a front plate and so far it's been over a year and I haven't been pulled over. I think my city doesn't really enforce it too much. When I see a state cop though sometimes I'll turn off the road to avoid them seeing me. I've just been lucky so far but someday I'm sure my luck will run out.
Old 06-20-19, 04:27 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Maybe you could gamble and not run a front plate. My state requires a front plate and so far it's been over a year and I haven't been pulled over. I think my city doesn't really enforce it too much. When I see a state cop though sometimes I'll turn off the road to avoid them seeing me. I've just been lucky so far but someday I'm sure my luck will run out.
I do the same, I always hide in between other cars or turn the other way and never park on the street.
Old 06-20-19, 04:29 PM
bumada
Driver

Originally Posted by TAURUSSLVR
You can pretty much google for the exact location of the tow hook cover. It's a part of the grill area. Here's the link from cravenspeed for a general idea. Gotta take the cover off first.
https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-plat...us/?fullSite=1
Ah I see where it is now. Its so well integrated. I'm used to my 89 bmw where it's a legit square cover.
Old 06-20-19, 04:34 PM
bumada
Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
I've done it in the past. I've gotten a ticket in both my m3 and E30. I'd be more comfortable running without it on the GS since it's not as eye catching to police. But my wife drives it just as much and she doesn't want to get pulled over.
Old 06-20-19, 04:35 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

+1 for zip tie to lower grill. This is how mine looks. Super secure for 4 years now, no problems.

The following users liked this post:
RichardB23 (06-21-19)
Old 06-20-19, 04:40 PM
bumada
Driver

Originally Posted by jdpdata
+1 for zip tie to lower grill. This is how mine looks. Super secure for 4 years now, no problems.

Vinyl or plasti dip the chrome surround?
Old 06-20-19, 04:44 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Vinyl wrapped - Professionally done by the one the only @Don Nguyen . He's a vendor on here. Check out his excellent work. I highly recommend him if you're ever in California.
Old 06-21-19, 07:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by bumada
Not a bad suggestion. The oem mount came with the car. I don't mind the look of the tow hook mounted one, I just don't see how to mount it with the radar based cruise control.
The sensor for your cruise control is mounted behind the large "L" emblem on the grill. The sensors lower down are just the parking/proximity sensors.

Quick Reply: 2016 Front License Plate Relocation