GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Another article about retiring the GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 12:06 PM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another article about retiring the GS

I really wish Toyota/Lexus would clear up all these rumors about the GS.
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...edium=referral
Old 06-16-19, 12:38 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Audi has been eating into their sales for one. The S5 sportback is an interesting alternative.
Old 06-16-19, 03:58 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Audi will never come close to Lexus reliability.
The following 4 users liked this post by charley95:
GS350Miami (06-17-19), highrev6 (06-18-19), maclem8223 (06-16-19), NatGen (06-17-19)
Old 06-17-19, 05:57 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 440 Likes on 309 Posts

Lame article. The Acura TSX was the Japanese Accord sold here as an Acura; it was a great FWD car; the TL was an Accord variant, also FWD.
The GS and ES are completely different cars.
The following users liked this post:
FH212 (06-20-19)
Old 06-17-19, 06:40 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Just judging by the volume of models at my local dealership...GS is gone. They never have any, and when they do, it's 1 or 2, always grey or white. I went to the dealership last Friday for my 15K service. They have ZERO GSs on the lot. I love the fact that it's a somewhat rare car and no one has one, but that's not a good thing, to keep it going.

They did have a LC500 in the showroom though. The God-awful yellow color, but whatever. $107K.

#sadface
Old 06-17-19, 06:48 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Pretty much eliminates considering a Lexus sedan for next purchase. ES is nice but I do not want a front wheel drive car and LS is simply too big.
GS350Miami (06-18-19)
Old 06-17-19, 07:47 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

ES is straight garbage. I owned one for 3 months. Worst purchase of my life. May as well just buy an Avalon, although the grille on that thing is hideous.
Old 06-17-19, 09:55 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Was at the dealership for service last Friday. Asked salesperson about the GS and he said it is dead. They are adding AWD to the ES so that will be the alternative. Also, tried to sell me on the ES having most the same options as the GS. I asked does it have 18 way seats, no. Handling, no, acceleration, no. Auto this, auto that, etc... No So I said then doesn't have the things I value. I slammed sunroof and the panoramic saying I wish cars were available without them. He said, sure just a special order, I proceeded to ask how they negotiate on special orders, answer we don't. I hate salespeople like this guy.
Cobra611 (07-13-19)
Old 06-17-19, 11:40 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by dougm213
Was at the dealership for service last Friday. Asked salesperson about the GS and he said it is dead. They are adding AWD to the ES so that will be the alternative. Also, tried to sell me on the ES having most the same options as the GS. I asked does it have 18 way seats, no. Handling, no, acceleration, no. Auto this, auto that, etc... No So I said then doesn't have the things I value. I slammed sunroof and the panoramic saying I wish cars were available without them. He said, sure just a special order, I proceeded to ask how they negotiate on special orders, answer we don't. I hate salespeople like this guy.

what an idiot; he doesnt even know his own products. Its only the same car to him, in that he makes the same amount on the sale.
Old 06-18-19, 05:17 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
ES is straight garbage. I owned one for 3 months. Worst purchase of my life. May as well just buy an Avalon, although the grille on that thing is hideous.
The ES a little better but by no means is it a GS replacement, when I had a loaner I closed the door and it had a hollow sound, which some owners are complaining about. If I had the GS still it would def not be to trade for an ES sorry Lexus.
Old 06-18-19, 01:18 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

so theres this: https://lexusenthusiast.com/2019/06/...atform-engine/

pretty much pure speculation

"The model change (that) is scheduled for next year’s IS is being developed as a V6 engine installation model based on the newly-developed TNGA platform (from Toyota’s) Crown, and the next IS is a collaboration platform with Mazda that is equipped with a straight 6 engine."

sounds so wrong. if anything is gonna be based off the crown its the GS. IS would share with the corolla? ES was advertised as entry lux so maybe IS and GS will be combined to be mid-size lux at mid price range. a fully load IS comes out to be about the average price GS at around 52k so that makes the GS a much better value (more lux, bigger).

Makes sense to combine them and make it more lux than the ES since the ES is pretty cheap at 39k starting and IS starts at 38k. I'd personally get a ES over an IS300 since it has 300hp, 30mpg average from my experience driving it, and its nicer than the IS even though its fwd vs rwd. Fully loaded the ES fsport is 52k same as fully loaded IS so since IS sells in lower numbers, just combine their 2 sports sedans and anyone in the sports lux market should still be interested. IS back seat is too small anyways, might as well have an RC.

The UX and NX have really taken over the lower entry price range anyways so theres no need for the under powered IS300. UX and NX are in my opinion even more underpowered but they fit the bill. UX sits low like a sedan but pretty much a wagon. I actually got better MPG in the ES with our detuned V6 working on regular gas at 30mpg than the I4 in the UX with its CVT at 27mpg

Last edited by baconRx; 06-18-19 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-19-19, 06:20 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dougm213

Sadly this is the same experience I always have when my car is in for service and I walk through the sales floor.

I sit in a car. Sales guy comes over. We start talking. And I end up knowing more about the car than he does. I'm no genius, but I read a lot in these forums! haha. Maybe the dealerships should have their team read through here so they are up to date on issues and things customers want and are looking for in cars.
NickMayer (06-21-19)
Old 06-19-19, 08:55 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp
Sadly this is the same experience I always have when my car is in for service and I walk through the sales floor.

I sit in a car. Sales guy comes over. We start talking. And I end up knowing more about the car than he does. I'm no genius, but I read a lot in these forums! haha. Maybe the dealerships should have their team read through here so they are up to date on issues and things customers want and are looking for in cars.
Its amazing how wherever you go, salesmen know very little about their product, even getting things on the sticker wrong. Then again im not a salesman so what do i know about doing their job, just say whatever it takes to sell the product right?
Old 06-19-19, 09:15 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
Its amazing how wherever you go, salesmen know very little about their product, even getting things on the sticker wrong. Then again im not a salesman so what do i know about doing their job, just say whatever it takes to sell the product right?
I guess most people don't really do their research before buying a car. Or they just aren't car people in general so they don't care. Not me!! haha
Lex76 (06-22-19)
Old 06-19-19, 09:39 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
@baconRx or even better, the product sells itself and you're just there to "build a relationship" which most salespeople today aren't even given incentive to do anymore. I can totally see why places like Carvana,Vroom, etc. exist. Even Tesla wants to cut out the unnecessary sales staff and sell you their product directly.

If the salesman doesn't even know the product (in this case the GS), find it hard to believe anything they say about the GS or any future plans.
Lex76 (06-22-19)

Quick Reply: Another article about retiring the GS