4th gen GS Oil Catch Can installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 01:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
Do you have any detail about the 2gr-fse? I have a 2015 4gs
The 2GR-FSE's injection system is just like the 2GR-FKS with the exception of the self-cleaning cycle. Just as with the FKS, the FSE runs both the DI and PFI together during low loads/RPMs.

The 2GR-FSE and this fuel injection system (D4-S) has been in use since 2006 without carbon build up issues. This is why myself and other posters are questioning the benefit of a catch can. Not that it will hurt, but whether there is a tangible benefit.
Old 06-14-19, 04:32 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The 2GR-FSE's injection system is just like the 2GR-FKS with the exception of the self-cleaning cycle. Just as with the FKS, the FSE runs both the DI and PFI together during low loads/RPMs.

The 2GR-FSE and this fuel injection system (D4-S) has been in use since 2006 without carbon build up issues. This is why myself and other posters are questioning the benefit of a catch can. Not that it will hurt, but whether there is a tangible benefit.

That's valid concern. From what I have read from RR-racing website , those with the biggest benefit to gain using a catchcan would be those who track their cars or spend a lot of time at redline.
Old 12-15-19, 11:15 AM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi All - This is the OP, here for an update, for what it's worth. 14GS now at 21K miles, been 3-4K miles since install of RRRacing oil catch can. Surprising to find that the catch can is full! Definitely catch oil that would otherwise be re-circulated to be burned in the cylinders. I did normal city driving and did not remotely push the car hard during this time.

Pics:

After 3-4K miles, oil catch can is 90% full!

The following users liked this post:
mattbeeezy (12-15-19)
Old 12-15-19, 03:22 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kh4nh
Hi All - This is the OP, here for an update, for what it's worth. 14GS now at 21K miles, been 3-4K miles since install of RRRacing oil catch can. Surprising to find that the catch can is full! Definitely catch oil that would otherwise be re-circulated to be burned in the cylinders. I did normal city driving and did not remotely push the car hard during this time.

Pics:

Thats awesome, thanks for the update. I'll add it to the list of stuff to buy lol
Old 12-15-19, 05:54 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

Thanks for the update! I'll probably get one soon.
Old 12-15-19, 05:56 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Please define "full", how much oil are we talking about here? And what is it that we're supposed to be seeing in the first pic?
Old 12-15-19, 06:39 PM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I think if you zoom in on the pic you can see a sight glass on the right side

Last edited by Cal916; 12-15-19 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-15-19, 06:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Something doesn't add up here! It appears the catch-can had only engine oil in it. After 3-4k miles of normal city driving the catch-can was 90% full. That means that after driving 10,000 miles of normal city driving (the recommended mileage schedule for engine oil & filter service) the catch-can would have captured ~3 times that amount of engine oil. I presume after 10,000 miles of city driving it would have captured about a quart of oil. That would indicate that if you drive your GS 350 10,000 miles of normal city driving between oil changes you would be about one quart low on engine oil. As I said, something doesn't add up here! I do not think anyone is one quart low on engine oil after driving 10,000 miles. In fact, not even remotely close to one quart low.

Also, I do not see the benefit of a catch-can on an engine that has both port and direct injection. Port injection cleans the intake valves nicely with gasoline, something that has proven successful for decades.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-15-19 at 07:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
JDR76 (12-15-19), mrplesh (12-17-19)
Old 12-15-19, 06:49 PM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy **** i should check my oil. Lol
Old 12-15-19, 07:45 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal916
I think if you zoom in on the pic you can see a sight glass on the right side
Now I see it!

Old 12-15-19, 09:23 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Allow me to clarify some things:
1) So the "gauge" on the oil catch shows 90% full, but the catch can itself was not 90% full. In fact, it was only half full.
2) The contents was poured into a Starbucks Short cup. Short cup volume = 8 fluid ounces. From the pic, you can say it is 1/3 of the cup, thus the oil caught was 2.64 fluid ounces.
3) 1 quart of oil = 32 fluid ounces. ~3 times 2.64 ~= 8 fluid ounces OR a quarter of 1 quart of oil every 10k miles.

Also, agree that port injection cleans the intake valves nicely with gasoline, that solves the valve carbon build up, but leaves the mixture of oil and gas burning, leaving carbon on the piston heads.

Originally Posted by bclexus
Something doesn't add up here! It appears the catch-can had only engine oil in it. After 3-4k miles of normal city driving the catch-can was 90% full. That means that after driving 10,000 miles of normal city driving (the recommended mileage schedule for engine oil & filter service) the catch-can would have captured ~3 times that amount of engine oil. I presume after 10,000 miles of city driving it would have captured about a quart of oil. That would indicate that if you drive your GS 350 10,000 miles of normal city driving between oil changes you would be about one quart low on engine oil. As I said, something doesn't add up here! I do not think anyone is one quart low on engine oil after driving 10,000 miles. In fact, not even remotely close to one quart low.

Also, I do not see the benefit of a catch-can on an engine that has both port and direct injection. Port injection cleans the intake valves nicely with gasoline, something that has proven successful for decades.

Last edited by kh4nh; 12-15-19 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-15-19, 10:48 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Allow me to clarify some things:
1) So the "gauge" on the oil catch shows 90% full, but the catch can itself was not 90% full. In fact, it was only half full.
2) The contents was poured into a Starbucks Short cup. Short cup volume = 8 fluid ounces. From the pic, you can say it is 1/3 of the cup, thus the oil caught was 2.64 fluid ounces.
3) 1 quart of oil = 32 fluid ounces. ~3 times 2.64 ~= 8 fluid ounces OR a quarter of 1 quart of oil every 10k miles.

Also, agree that port injection cleans the intake valves nicely with gasoline, that solves the valve carbon build up, but leaves the mixture of oil and gas burning, leaving carbon on the piston heads.
Seems like a lot. I've never noticed any discernable loss of oil between oil changes.
Old 12-15-19, 11:22 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
Seems like a lot. I've never noticed any discernable loss of oil between oil changes.
Yeah I basically have the same oil coming out that goes in. I could see this happening more when the car gets up there in age or higher mileage.

Even though its catching oil, Toyota has been using this motor for many years and there are many examples of 250k+ vehicles that still run strong. So does it even matter?
Old 12-16-19, 10:25 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
Originally Posted by peasodos
Yeah I basically have the same oil coming out that goes in. I could see this happening more when the car gets up there in age or higher mileage.

Even though its catching oil, Toyota has been using this motor for many years and there are many examples of 250k+ vehicles that still run strong. So does it even matter?
Agree - I don't think anyone will see any apparent loss of oil between oil changes. I see no need, nor any benefit whatsoever, of having an oil catch-can installed on the GS 350 engine.
Old 12-17-19, 12:00 PM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Since we have cleared up that there is no real need for a catch can with regards to the valves, lets talk about the pistons.
For piston build-up, I have found the best results over my last 3 vehicles to use the Italian Tune-Up.

This procedure consists of letting that right foot hit the ground so you, and the car, can stretch your legs.

Some good old pulls every now and then will keep your pistons clean.

Quick Reply: 4th gen GS Oil Catch Can installed