GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2019 GS Vs. 2018 RC Vs 2017 RC Vs. 2014 GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-19, 08:28 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts
Default 2019 GS Vs. 2018 RC Vs 2017 RC Vs. 2014 GS

Okay, after putting a lot of miles on these cars and spending a lot of time with them, now I can make a little comparison review. Hope this can help those who are planning to get either of these vehicles.

Total time spent:

2019 GS: A little over a month now
2018 RC: 1 Year
2017 RC: 1 Year
2014 GS: 3.5 Years

2019 GS350 Vs. 2018 RC350 Vs. 2017 RC350 (All FSport)

Performance: I feel that the GS is quicker on its feet both from a dead stop and while driving like a well-controlled maniac on the highway. This new motor and tranny works very well together, especially when shifting manually. The 2019 RC with FKS does well too but I still feel the GS is more agile and confident, given its bigger size. I guess this is what happens when u have a dedicated chassis compared to a mix and match one. The 2017 RC with FSE engine is just too slow, so don't even bother with it. And for the fact that the RC is heavier than the GS makes it worse.

Handling: This is where I think the RC has a slight edge over the GS. I feel a bit less body roll in the RC compared to the GS both in Normal mode. The GS is geared more towards comfort but switch the GS to Sport+ mode and... What body roll?

Comfort: The GS interior is sure more luxurious and a better place to be in, both short and long rides. The RC front seats are comfortable too, even for long drives but the interior material is no comparison. Plastics and more plastics man!

Cabin Quietness: Both are comparable but I think the RC has a slightly quieter cabin. The GS engine sounds louder from the inside though compared to the RC with Active Sound Control switch. I was actually surprised how loud the engine noise is on the GS when test drove mine after driving the RC for so long. Don't even bother with the RC's ASC fake engine noise, I kept mine off all the time.

Sound System: The ML in the GS sounds a bit better I think, since it has that new clarifi thing. Well at least that's how I feel, the music sounds cleaner but both cars are very close.

Navigation System: The RC's Gen 10 is better overall, it shows more info and the voice command is more superior Vs the older Gen 9 GS system. But the 3D map is a joke, GS is better.

Materials: GS has far better materials like real leather seats and soft and padded touch in in almost everywhere. The GS seat vents actually cool the seats, the RC only cools during cold weather. The older 2017 and below RC actually has seat cooling problem, it heats up the shoulder blade part instead of cooling it.

Exhaust Noise & Rumble: The GS is quieter here. My 2018 RC with FKS rumbles more at cold start up and for another few seconds and goes away as the engine warms up. U can feel the rumble when standing close to the rear of the car and as for the GS I don't feel any. This is all stock by the way.

Looks & Style: The RC is a very sexy car, no doubt about it. Damn that side profile and rear end! Front end not so much, the GS has a better looking front end I think. RCF has better front end than the regular RC.

Road Presence: Ah yes, no one mess with the GS on the road, no tailgaters, nothing, ZIP! Some likes to mess with the RC I don't know why. But in most cases u can just gun it and dust them. MOST not all.

Self Driving / Autonomous: The GS is the clear winner here. All speed cruise control with stop and go and the active lane centering that can steer in bends. This is what sold me right here, it makes my SoCal commute MUCH BETTER!!!

Conclusion: If u want a GS and have the money, the 2019 is the way to go. And if u want the RC, get the 2018 cause it has the new bigger screen and bigger touch pad, these upgrades alone make the older RC look like a joke. Plus the community, the 4GS forum is just day and night different than the RC forum but u all know this already.

Bonus: I'll throw in a little bonus here by comparing the GS to the new 2019 ES, both FSport and Premium. I've had the chance of driving that car for a few days instead of just 5 mins test drive and I get to beat the snot out of it. The ES is fast on a straight line, man that baby is quick!! Maybe in a drag race, this will be close but I still feel the GS pulls harder in higher speed and RPM. As for handling, well the RWD GS is no comparison to the FWD ES. But the new ES is definitely better than the old one and doesn't really feel like its cheaper counterparts as before. The Manual mode is different in the ES, it works like a Camry, it doesn't downshift as u slow down like in the GS. The materials in the ES got better too, except there is a hard plastic on the top of the dash. Come on man!!! But other than that, it's good. As for cabin quietness, the ES beat them all. It's so isolated and u can't even hear the engine start and running, feels almost like an electric car!

Okay, now for the 2014 GS... Well, I don't remember. lololol That steering pulling issue made me just want to get rid of the damn thing and forget about it. But I do like the Rioja Red seats on the 19 better than the old Cabernet though. I like the deeper red than the orange-ish brick red on the old one.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 06-05-19 at 05:10 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
dTxworld (06-07-19), eddie420 (06-05-19), GS350Miami (06-08-19), Im2bz2p345 (06-09-19), jdpdata (06-05-19), NickMayer (06-05-19), SC300Es (06-06-19), signdetres (06-05-19), truthbtold (06-05-19) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-05-19, 08:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Thanks for the comparison/review! Hope you're enjoying the new GS!
Old 06-05-19, 08:56 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Thanks for the comparison/review! Hope you're enjoying the new GS!
Oh I am man!
Old 06-05-19, 11:45 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks for this!

I'd love to jump from my '15 (non-Fsport) to a 19, if for nothing else to get teh updated UI and info screens in dash.
Old 06-05-19, 01:16 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
As for cabin quietness, the ES beat them all. It's so isolated and u can't even hear the engine start and running, feels almost like an electric car!
That is true! And that is how quiet I want my GS to be.
Old 06-05-19, 04:30 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Great post!

I went from an IS 350 to the GS and the GS is a better car in everyday. Really enjoying it. I drove the RC before buying the IS and was not impressed. The IS felt lighter and more agile. Maybe they have improved the RC. In terms of quietness, I think the IS was quieter. I am experiencing wind noise on the driver's side in the GS. Was surprised at this, may be I will take it in the dealer to have it looked at.

savjam
Old 06-05-19, 07:02 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks for the writeup! I drove the GS 2019 and the 2015 I had. I like the 2015, it just feels more aggressive and the 2019 seems more... planted/softer ride? lol. Still a nice car. I am still in the market for a GS. If I can only find time away from work to do proper car shopping, my dealership barely has any inventory.
The following users liked this post:
Blakky (06-06-19)
Old 06-06-19, 05:38 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Savjam
Great post!

I went from an IS 350 to the GS and the GS is a better car in everyday. Really enjoying it. I drove the RC before buying the IS and was not impressed. The IS felt lighter and more agile. Maybe they have improved the RC. In terms of quietness, I think the IS was quieter. I am experiencing wind noise on the driver's side in the GS. Was surprised at this, may be I will take it in the dealer to have it looked at.

savjam
Fold your mirrors in while driving and see if the wind noise goes away. Do you have paint protection film on the mirrors? I have the same issue with my 18.
Old 06-06-19, 07:11 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
Fold your mirrors in while driving and see if the wind noise goes away. Do you have paint protection film on the mirrors? I have the same issue with my 18.
Nah.. Just floor it!
Old 06-06-19, 08:58 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

I never understood how they managed to make the RC the same weight(or according to some documentation) heavier than the GS.

The interior is significantly inferior quality.

Hate the foot e-brake - are they trying to pretend it's got 3 pedals? Either put in electronic parking brake or put in a hand brake lever so at least you can do some hooning with it.
Old 06-06-19, 11:22 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
my dealership barely has any inventory.
I'm afraid that is the case almost every where. Only 1 at my dealership
Old 06-06-19, 04:56 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Yes I have the film. Will try folding the mirrors in. How do you do that?
Old 06-06-19, 05:32 PM
terrryz
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
The 2017 RC with FSE engine is just too slow, so don't even bother with it. And for the fact that the RC is heavier than the GS makes it worse.
Is the power difference really that large between 2017 and 2018 RC 350 in terms of power? I thought the new FKS is only a few horsepower more.
Old 06-06-19, 07:57 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by terrryz
Is the power difference really that large between 2017 and 2018 RC 350 in terms of power? I thought the new FKS is only a few horsepower more.
I feel the FKS is a bit quicker but the FSE has a more aggressive rev matching downshifts. The RC is just too heavy.
Old 06-07-19, 07:54 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Savjam
Yes I have the film. Will try folding the mirrors in. How do you do that?
The button to the right of the auto on drivers door panel. I didn't notice any wind noise on mine till I put PPF on the mirror. I'm not 100% sure that's the culprit though.

Quick Reply: 2019 GS Vs. 2018 RC Vs 2017 RC Vs. 2014 GS