GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thoughts on buying from somewhere like Vroom, Carvana, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 01:53 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I absolutly love negotiating with salesmen whether they're shady or not. The worst possible thing one can do is let them know you love their car. I think Carvana is a joke that's perfectly in place for millennials that don't know a wheel from a fender. Extensive research on a car prior to purchase is critical.
The following users liked this post:
RichardB23 (05-23-19)
Old 05-23-19, 02:07 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
The worst possible thing one can do is let them know you love their car.
If the price is right, you can let them know this too. Most of the time, they already know it if you've taken the time to do the research. Negotiating is only necessary if the dealer hasn't priced the car competitively.

When I bought my GS I walked in and paid the price they wanted. It was competitively priced for an L-Certified car (within a few hundred dollars of similar sales) and there were limited amounts of Ultra White F-Sports being returned off-lease for resale. It was also an Auto-Nation dealership so trying to negotiate a no-hassle dealership is generally a waste of time if you are ready to buy. Going back and forth with them was not something I was interested in doing given where they priced it. I'm not afraid of the dealer making money off of me, that's what they do to everyone because they are a business that makes profit (yes, even if your salesman tells you he is taking a bath on the car, trust me, he is not. There are very rare scenarios where the dealership takes a true loss on a car, and you are statistically not buying that vehicle).

Having bought many cars, new and used, the truth is if you do your homework, know what you want, and are not unreasonable, negotiating with dealers is very easy. You can spot shadiness from a mile away and the salesman who want to do right by you will make it apparent. Usually you can get what you want if you truly know what is and is not achievable with the vehicle you want.

Last edited by np20412; 05-23-19 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-07-19, 05:11 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Funny reading these threads. I joined the Lexus community four weeks ago after buying a GS 450h over my lunch break. It is within walking distance from my work, so I drove my 2004 Saturn Vue with 176k miles on it, drove the GS for 10 minutes, they totaled the price out giving me hundreds for my car. I countered with an OTD price $2500 lower and told them I had to go back to work. Two minutes later, they met my price. Came back that evening for 2nd test drive and signed. No pressure and I have a unicorn one owner Lcertified vehicle.
Old 06-07-19, 05:24 AM
Jordyboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kgh31386
I’m looking for a 16 or 17 F sport to replace my 2013 sometime this year. I’m seeing prices all over the place. Some 16’s around Texas are as low as $33,000 up to $40,000. 17’s are high 30’s to low 40’s. CPO and mileage varies. I’m seeing the following car and some similar to it, but unsure about not being able to test drive it.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
I paid a hair over $30K for my new whip ('16 GS350 F-Sport, 28K miles, lease return) from a very reputable dealer in Maryland called Tricars. They fully reconditioned the vehicle (arguably better than CPO) and will even ship! They've got one GS right now (non-F-Sport) with 22K miles for $30,900. https://www.tricars.com/used/LEXUS/2...6a9f26174b.htm
Old 02-24-22, 04:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Carvana Acquires Wholesale Vehicle Auction Business for $2.2B

Carvana (NYSE: CVNA), the industry pioneer for buying and selling cars online acquires ADESA’s U.S. physical auction business ('ADESA U.S.'), a wholly owned subsidiary of KAR Global (NYSE: KAR), for $2.2 billion.

ADESA U.S. is the second largest provider of wholesale vehicle auction solutions in the United States with 56 sites and approximately 4,500 corporate and operations team members.

Read the Carvana Press Release

Last edited by bclexus; 02-24-22 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-24-22, 11:59 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Carvana Acquires Wholesale Vehicle Auction Business for $2.2B

Carvana (NYSE: CVNA), the industry pioneer for buying and selling cars online acquires ADESA’s U.S. physical auction business ('ADESA U.S.'), a wholly owned subsidiary of KAR Global (NYSE: KAR), for $2.2 billion.

ADESA U.S. is the second largest provider of wholesale vehicle auction solutions in the United States with 56 sites and approximately 4,500 corporate and operations team members.

Read the Carvana Press Release
I think this is great news. They will have a hell of a lot more inventory I would guess, and I loved buying from them. I got my previous GS from them and it was a really smooth and easy process -- two things that buying a car never is. I would have gotten my 2nd GS from them as well but they just didn't have one that I wanted.

The downside is they can be a little high on the price (which is non-negotiable), and their finance offers if you want to also finance through them is a couple points higher than you can get elsewhere. So not exactly the cheapest, but I definitely would say the most convenient by far. I especially dig the 7 day trial period so you can properly drive it, inspect it, and actually try it out without a commission-based salesman breathing down your neck and telling you where you can and can't go.

So them having more inventory the next time I'm shopping for a car is excellent news to me.
Old 02-25-22, 07:29 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Careful about the 7 day return. I read that if it is Financed with anyone other than them, then you do not have that return option. With AutoNation's if they ship and Deliver the car to you it Voids the Return policy.
Old 02-25-22, 09:41 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Nice to hear Carvana expanding their business - i think their biggest challenge is themselves at this point. Lately, there has been negative press about getting Carvana's inability to get titles to customers that have paid for their cars but their stock price is now soaring again on "potential" due to the recent acquisition.

I always wondered what the "rate of return" on their sales. I recall a recent member tried to buy a GS from Carvana but undisclosed issues led him to decline delivery: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11215003

Maybe Carvana's biggest competition is Carmax - which is offering similar services (ship to home, ship to local Carmax store) and they now provide a 30-day/1500mi no questions asked return policy. I've been hearing stories of the lack of salesmanship even at luxury dealerships - if that continues, I think more people will go the Carvana/Carmax route.
Old 02-25-22, 11:59 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I'd rather just go to a dealer and inspect and drive the car myself vs. online. I know the majority of people don't think this way but, it's pretty hard to get an idea of what condition the car is actually in. As I stated before my neighbor that died recently had a fairly late model Traverse that was sold to Carvana. It had very low miles and would probably clean up very nicely but, it lived on his driveway since new. There's no way a buyer online would know that the undercarriage was full of rust since the car lived in Illinois.
Old 02-25-22, 04:11 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I'd rather just go to a dealer and inspect and drive the car myself vs. online. I know the majority of people don't think this way but, it's pretty hard to get an idea of what condition the car is actually in. As I stated before my neighbor that died recently had a fairly late model Traverse that was sold to Carvana. It had very low miles and would probably clean up very nicely but, it lived on his driveway since new. There's no way a buyer online would know that the undercarriage was full of rust since the car lived in Illinois.
I totally feel you here.

We bought a car from Auto Nations a few months ago out of state. The price was way lower due to their mix up of the Model for what we paid for it. There was no way I was buying it without seeing it, and it was the 2020 Optima SX 2.0T with only 3700 miles.

I flew there checked it out and flew back 1 hour 52mins. I have seen too many surprised buyers that did not know this and that buying off the Web, shipped to them. Then I would have had to deal with a Dealership miles away by phone if there was a problem. No thanks. Plus we got to hang out in Miami for 2 days.
Old 02-26-22, 01:20 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

That's why you have 7 days to evaluate it and inspect it, not 20-30 minutes. People seem to think you're buying a car sight unseen, but in reality you have FAR more time to fully evaluate it and get it inspected by someone you trust compared to buying at a dealer.

A friend of mine actually bought a BMW through Carvana on my recommendation (Carvana, not the BMW lol) and took it to the local BMW dealer to get it inspected. Problems were found (of course), Carvana paid for the repairs themselves, and then extended the evaluation period while it was being worked on plus another week afterwards. In the end she did not trust the vehicle and returned it without any pushback from Carvana. If you can find a dealer that would do that let me know (there isn't one).

I'm not saying they're perfect, but no dealer is. Every dealer you look up has complaints. If you've worked in the auto industry then you already know the entire dealership network is rife with shady practices. But Carvana is just a better buying experience than the dealer is in my opinion. If it's properly evaluating a vehicle for potential issues with a car or evaluating its history that you're worried about then traditional dealers are a bigger concern in that regard if you ask me. They pull all kinds of tricks to hide issues and sell cars, and then play dumb when the customer comes back 3 days later with a CEL. I've seen it a million times. "AS IS - NO WARRANTY"
Old 03-04-22, 04:27 PM
mickb
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay away from Carvana. Florida has fined them recently for selling cars & not providing their titles for months. Been all over the news.
Old 03-04-22, 07:35 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mickb
Stay away from Carvana. Florida has fined them recently for selling cars & not providing their titles for months. Been all over the news.
There is now a real big Class Action Suit about this filed against Carvana.
Old 03-06-22, 11:09 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 205 Posts

I heard many bad stories from both Vroom and Carvana. Vroom has both nightmares in selling and purchasing. Vroom I heard only stories in purchasing and registrations not sent. Carvana sold vehicles without titles.

IMO, I would trust Carmax before Vroom. Carvana is a great place to get a quote but I'm not sure about selling unless you have a center nearby.