GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Climate Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 04:48 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Climate Control Issue

I have a 2013 GS350 and I'm trying to figure you if I have a problem with the climate control. It seems overly cold.

Using Auto mode with recirc off, lately I have to keep temp set to between 79-81 to keep from freezing. Today was 100 degrees at lunch with it set at 81. I was cold so I kept bumping it up a degree at a time and it was still pumping out cold air, however the fan speed was pretty low. Finally, I had it at 85 and not much changed. I bumped it up all the way to "Hi", I think which is as high as it goes and then the fan speed ramped up and it started blowing warm air. I don't know if it was heated or if it just was pulling in outside air but it was warm so I lowered the temp again to 83 or something and turned the vents away from me and I was ok.

Now, this is not such a huge issue since I'm in Phoenix but can't figure out why it's so cold. In my other cars in this kind of situation, I would normally turn the temp guage to somewhere between halfway mix between hot/cold to slightly off center towards the cold side to be comfortable and that would be like 70-75 in the GS.

I'm also reminded that this past winter it suddenly changed so that I had to have temp higher for same level of warmth than the previous day. Is there some door stuck that might be causing this or could it be a faulty sensor or is this all normal?
Old 04-26-19, 06:03 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Seems off. I have the opposite issue here in humid FL! I feel like the air is not cold enough (no issues as confirmed by dealer tho). I always leave the air temp on LO and recirculate, altho I keep fan speed at just 1 or 2.
Old 04-28-19, 06:21 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

I have a similar problem thallium. It blows air that seems too cold for the requested cabin temperature. On H it cooks so I know it's capable of very cold and hot air.

I hooked up Techstream and compared the indicated cabin temperature to a NATA certified thermometer. The car read half a degree higher, which is fine given the air must travel through a tube to reach the sensor, so I don't think a new sensor will help(I'd put one in anyways but you have to take the radio out...no thanks). In Techstream there is a 'shift set temp' option which has (from memory) normal, -2, -1, +1, +2. Changing that definitely changed the temperature of the air blowing out of the vents during my test. It's something I'm going to play with more as winter nears - perhaps you should too.

My past cars blow cold air when set to 16-22*C, luke warm 23-25*C and hot air 26+. I need to set my GS to 82 of your peculiar Fahrenheits to be comfortable on a chilly 70 F day. Not too many folks seem to have this issue.
Old 04-28-19, 09:15 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
I have the opposite issue here in humid FL!
It's so hot heeeeeere lol. Same thing though. I really wonder sometimes if there's any cool air blowing through the vents. But after 5-10 minutes it's comfortable after the heat and humidity is expelled.
Old 04-28-19, 05:55 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Same problem (too cold) here....i can only leave it on 'Auto' for 5 mins before i have to adjust the fan down to lowest setting.
Old 04-29-19, 06:46 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

One of your climate control sensors seems to be off. I set mine between 72 and 75* and it is never too cold or too hot.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (04-29-19)
Old 04-29-19, 08:39 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by praetor
One of your climate control sensors seems to be off. I set mine between 72 and 75* and it is never too cold or too hot.
Does anyone know where the sensors are?
Old 04-29-19, 08:41 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cwang
I have a similar problem thallium. It blows air that seems too cold for the requested cabin temperature. On H it cooks so I know it's capable of very cold and hot air.

I hooked up Techstream and compared the indicated cabin temperature to a NATA certified thermometer. The car read half a degree higher, which is fine given the air must travel through a tube to reach the sensor, so I don't think a new sensor will help(I'd put one in anyways but you have to take the radio out...no thanks). In Techstream there is a 'shift set temp' option which has (from memory) normal, -2, -1, +1, +2. Changing that definitely changed the temperature of the air blowing out of the vents during my test. It's something I'm going to play with more as winter nears - perhaps you should too.

My past cars blow cold air when set to 16-22*C, luke warm 23-25*C and hot air 26+. I need to set my GS to 82 of your peculiar Fahrenheits to be comfortable on a chilly 70 F day. Not too many folks seem to have this issue.
I've got a free trial of Carista for a few more days and I belive the temp shift is one of the things I can change. How much did it seem to shift your temps?
Old 04-29-19, 11:49 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by thallium
I've got a free trial of Carista for a few more days and I belive the temp shift is one of the things I can change. How much did it seem to shift your temps?
I want to do more testing before I can say for sure, however I noted that changing the setting drastically change the temperature of the air coming out of the vents...so it does something. I hope to report back with more useful information when I have more time, my wife hates me sitting in the car for an hour at night.

Does anyone know where the sensors are?
Cabin sensor is behind the radio. Intake for it is near the park brake. I imagine it is essentially the 'return sensor', which helps the system decide how to adjust the air coming out of the vents. I'm not aware of a post coil 'supply sensor' that a commercial system uses to control the coils from a setpoint generated by the return sensor.

The ambient sensor is out the front of the car...common sense would have it as an 'outside air' input for the PID loop. When using outside air as it would want to know how to treat the incoming air. I'll check it's operation next time I plug the laptop in.

There are other sensors near the windscreen etc but I suspect they're more for function control/demisting than cabin temperature?

Old 04-30-19, 01:13 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cwang
Cabin sensor is behind the radio. Intake for it is near the park brake. I imagine it is essentially the 'return sensor', which helps the system decide how to adjust the air coming out of the vents. I'm not aware of a post coil 'supply sensor' that a commercial system uses to control the coils from a setpoint generated by the return sensor.
Is that what the slots are just above the Auto Parking Brake button? I was just wondering if I was covering them up or interfering with them some way that would affect the temps.
Old 04-30-19, 05:52 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Is that what the slots are just above the Auto Parking Brake button?
That is correct
Old 04-30-19, 12:14 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

You'll also find that when the A/C system is in the 'Auto' mode that the system will operate almost entirely in the closed loop recirculated [cabin] air mode when the outside [ambient] temperature is quite different from the cabin temperature...regardless whether it is hot or cold. To the contrary, when the outside [ambient] temperature and the cabin temperature are close to the same you will find the system (when in 'Auto' mode) will alternate between the closed loop recirculated [cabin] air mode and the outside [fresh] air circulation mode.

Also, it is important to understand and accept the fact, that it takes some minutes after the A/C system is first started for the system's sensors to adjust to the inputs the sensors receive...and even longer for the cabin temperature to be brought close to the desired display temperature. This is especially true when the outside [ambient] temperature is quite different from the cabin's temperature and the desired display temperature.
Old 05-01-19, 03:33 PM
thallium
Intermediate

For some reason I thought Carista allowed you to calibrate the temp as stated above but I can't find it. So is this only available with Techstream or by getting the dealer to do it?