GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Morimoto Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 02:58 PM
medwardsr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Morimoto Fogs

I am looking at running fog lights on my 14 f sport. All of the kits from ijdm toy and on amazon seem to have many complaints about durability. I am thinking about buying the fog light bezels from ijdm toy and running Morimoto XB led projector housings. Has anyone ever done this before? The Retrofit Source has pics uploaded of them in their show GS but I wonder what kind of modifications might be required that they are not telling us about, and the only review is from a CT owner. Any help at all is much appreciated!
Old 04-25-19, 03:37 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

I have Morimoto XB LED fogs on mine '15 F Sport. It doesn't quite match the OE HID but it's good enough for me. I was lucky didn't run into the larger windshield washer reservoir issue. If yours is a '14 you probably won't have any issue with neither. Search for my Morimoto LED fog install thread, too lazy to look it up right now. You'll find all my installation notes and parts number I used.
The following users liked this post:
medwardsr (04-25-19)
Old 04-25-19, 04:12 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Before you order the bezel, PM me cause I may be able to help you out with getting a new pair for cheaper
Old 04-25-19, 07:14 PM
medwardsr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I have Morimoto XB LED fogs on mine '15 F Sport. It doesn't quite match the OE HID but it's good enough for me. I was lucky didn't run into the larger windshield washer reservoir issue. If yours is a '14 you probably won't have any issue with neither. Search for my Morimoto LED fog install thread, too lazy to look it up right now. You'll find all my installation notes and parts number I used.
What’s the big difference between the morimoto and oem? I am doing this more for aesthetics but actual light projection would be nice too.
Old 04-25-19, 07:30 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

I don't know what's the difference with LED Morimoto vs OEM. This mod cost me about $750 because I went with OEM stalk and professional installation, it all looks OE on my car. However, it's not worth it IMO. You won't get any noticeable light projection that you can see behind the wheel. It is strictly for aesthetic, I do like the look of the fogs. The F Sport looks empty in that area without fogs. But I'd rather use the $750 for carbon fiber lip or side skirts or something else.

Last edited by jdpdata; 04-25-19 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 04:57 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the LED ijdmtoy units and they are awesome, zero concerns about durability and the light output is amazing.
Old 04-26-19, 05:38 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't know what's the difference with LED Morimoto vs OEM. This mod cost me about $750 because I went with OEM stalk and professional installation, it all looks OE on my car. However, it's not worth it IMO. You won't get any noticeable light projection that you can see behind the wheel. It is strictly for aesthetic, I do like the look of the fogs. The F Sport looks empty in that area without fogs. But I'd rather use the $750 for carbon fiber lip or side skirts or something else.
I adjusted the beam up a good deal (but still below the low beam cutoff) and it adds a noticeable amount of light to the road, especially to the sides.
My only issue is the power line has a short and I don't know where to begin to replace the wire.
Old 04-26-19, 03:25 PM
medwardsr
Driver School Candidate

I'll be doing this all on my own. So fitting them into bezels and wiring them straight into the low beams. Trying to determine if there's a way I can do that without tapping the low beam wire so as to preserve its factory state in the event something goes wrong in the future. My first obstacle was just ensuring that the XBs will fit in the bezel, the sketches provided both by Morimoto and ijdm toy don't help much.
Old 04-26-19, 03:56 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

The Morimoto will fit into JDM bezel just fine. But there will be a bit of light bleed on the edges. Bezel don't sit flush tight to bumper. I can take some night shots of it later.

Here are some pictures of my Morimotos

Water reservoir not in the way..yay!

Morimoto fogs are slight whiter than OE HID. Can't really tell in this picture.

OE turn stalk with dash light

Last edited by jdpdata; 04-26-19 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
medwardsr (04-26-19)
Old 04-26-19, 07:29 PM
medwardsr
Driver School Candidate

The Morimoto will fit into JDM bezel just fine. But there will be a bit of light bleed on the edges. Bezel don't sit flush tight to bumper. I can take some night shots of it later.

Morimoto fogs are slight whiter than OE HID. Can't really tell in this picture.

OE turn stalk with dash light
Could you post some night shots later up close so I can see what you mean by light bleed? I assume it's only noticeable when you're up close and car is sitting still. Looks like a clean install with the turn stalk and everything. My 14 doesn't have that, i believe there was a separate button you had to press on a panel to the left of the steering wheel but all 4 of my buttons are used up, so I figured I would just wire into the low beams so the fogs are on whenever the lights come on which is the look I'm going for.

Also, I like the carbon fiber inlays on the dash. Did you do that yourself?
Old 04-26-19, 07:49 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Yeah I'll take some shots later. It's not noticable at night. You can buy OE turn stalk for non F Sport it will work with your car. Wiring is a little more involved but not that complicated. Go search my installation thread I posted links to another member's thread on how he run the wires.

I redid my carbon fiber wrapping. Go here to see pics https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...dash-trim.html
Old 04-28-19, 10:44 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Contact us for pricing on the Morimoto products guys!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-28-19, 04:48 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

The point of the fogs is to give you visibility between the road and the fog... not light output. They are not designed to illuminate everything like headlights. If you want light output, then get offroad LEDs and mount them instead of fogs!