GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How to lighten Steering effort?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-19, 11:20 AM
Hardwinlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to lighten Steering effort?

Hi I have a Lexus GS 350 F sport the steering is pretty stiff when turning at low speeds in both eco and normal mode.

I went ahead and did a wheel alignment, they did found it was a little off in terms of the toeing of the front and rear wheels. Camber had no misalignment in fact it is in perfect alignment. It did help a little bit with the steering responsiveness. However it is still pretty stiff turning at intersections.

Please help
Old 04-23-19, 11:33 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardwinlex
Hi I have a Lexus GS 350 F sport the steering is pretty stiff when turning at low speeds in both eco and normal mode.

I went ahead and did a wheel alignment, they did found it was a little off in terms of the toeing of the front and rear wheels. Camber had no misalignment in fact it is in perfect alignment. It did help a little bit with the steering responsiveness. However it is still pretty stiff turning at intersections.

Please help
I suspect your steering is just the way Lexus engineers want it. The GS 350 is a sport sedan, so typically drivers of such a car want to 'feel' the road and that means the steering is a bit heavier than most other luxury type vehicles.

I guess that you know the steering gets even heavier in the Sport mode compared to ECO or Normal.
Old 04-23-19, 11:42 AM
Hardwinlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand. Do you think that resetting the ECU can have any benefits to the steering? Perhaps it can relearn the users steering angle?
Old 04-23-19, 11:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I understand. Do you think that resetting the ECU can have any benefits to the steering? Perhaps it can relearn the users steering angle?
I think you will just have to get used to the heavier steering that Lexus specifically designed into the GS 350.
Old 04-23-19, 12:01 PM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd keep some free-weights in the car for when you're at a light. I find it quite easy to turn in Normal and Eco mode. Do keep in mind that wider tires provide a more direct steering feel and increase the resistance slightly. Probably not a good idea but 225 tires on front could change the feel?
Old 04-23-19, 12:16 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

There is a **** under the car to adjust steering weight, but it only appears once in a blue moon. Get in the habit of putting both palms flat on the ground, and lower yourself closer to the ground to check if it's there. If not, then push yourself back up, but make sure to do this with your knees off the ground to keep your trousers clean. Do this daily for a few weeks.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (04-23-19)
Old 04-23-19, 12:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PlPete
I'd keep some free-weights in the car for when you're at a light. I find it quite easy to turn in Normal and Eco mode. Do keep in mind that wider tires provide a more direct steering feel and increase the resistance slightly. Probably not a good idea but 225 tires on front could change the feel?
Originally Posted by er34
There is a **** under the car to adjust steering weight, but it only appears once in a blue moon. Get in the habit of putting both palms flat on the ground, and lower yourself closer to the ground to check if it's there. If not, then push yourself back up, but make sure to do this with your knees off the ground to keep your trousers clean. Do this daily for a few weeks.
The OP needs to build-up his upper body strength. Maybe a little arm dancing and singing while driving will tone those forearm and shoulder muscles needed to turn that steering wheel.

Last edited by bclexus; 04-23-19 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 06:52 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Really? This is the first time I’m hearing of anything like this.
Old 04-23-19, 07:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e60bmw
Really? This is the first time I’m hearing of anything like this.
C'mon man!

Old 04-24-19, 03:03 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

LOL. But on a more serious side, I found the steering in the GS to require very little effort, almost too effortless. I wanted more stiffness and a tighter response. The steering on the 03 Infiniti G35 and 02 Toyota Sequoia, I’ve been driving the last decade and a half are definitely on the stiffer side.
Old 04-24-19, 06:51 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 442 Likes on 310 Posts

A PS fluid flush may improve the feel, especially if you have miles.
Cheap, worn or underinflated tires can drastically change steering feel.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 04-24-19 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-24-19, 07:30 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Please help
If you've driven other cars in the Lexus lineup, they are very light on the steering compared to the GS (the ES and RX come to mind).

However, our cars have speed sensitive steering so at low speeds, the steering should be fairly light. It is possible that the power steering or sensor are malfunctioning if you feel its overly difficult to turn at low speeds. Steering is affected by a lof of things (tires, wheels, suspension, sensors, road condition) so have it checked out. Too many factors to give a definite but it sounds like you're on the right track starting with your alignment...
Old 04-24-19, 10:33 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
A PS fluid flush may improve the feel, especially if you have miles.
Cheap, worn or underinflated tires can drastically change steering feel.
What PS fluid?
The following users liked this post:
CouveGS (04-25-19)
Old 04-24-19, 03:24 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
LOL. But on a more serious side, I found the steering in the GS to require very little effort, almost too effortless. I wanted more stiffness and a tighter response. The steering on the 03 Infiniti G35 and 02 Toyota Sequoia, I’ve been driving the last decade and a half are definitely on the stiffer side.
Agreed. My GS takes much less effort than my Sequoia to navigate turns. The GS can be operated with one finger.
Old 04-25-19, 08:08 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

What kind of car are you comparing it to? If you are comparing it to an old school ES or something, the steering is never going to be THAT soft, that's just the way it is.

-Mike

Quick Reply: How to lighten Steering effort?